MTB Apparel - What's most important?

Which 2 things are most important to you?

• Price

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Looks

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Brand names

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Durability

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Safety (abrasion protection)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Australian made

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Being able to try before you buy

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters

moorey

call me Mia
Not looking like a twat and affordable.
My riding makes me look enough like a twat
Also, these days, Aussie companies...even though they virtually all seem to get it made in China.
-TrackX
-Reckless Race Concepts
-DHARCO

All do different and interesting stuff at decent prices.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The answers received already indicate just how hard it is to nail down.
I have had way more gear than I should admit to over the years.

More interested in subdued kit, with an emphasis on quality material.
My theory is buy what you actually want, once, rather than go on price and end up with 2-3 garments collecting dust.

I'm a big fan of Mons Royale stuff out of NZ. I am happy to pay the premium because quality over quantity!
Currently have 4-5 jerseys and 2 chamois shorts from them. The chamois shorts are game changing.
Soft and breathable is how i want my tops in particular.

If it is of any assistance at all, this is the kit i regularly use;

Patagonia Dirt Craft Shorts
Fox Flexair Lite Shorts
Fox Flexair Pants (I'm new to pants and have only worn them once, but they will likely become my favourite bit of kit through Autumn/Winter)

Mons Royale Cadence T
Mons Royale Icon T
Mons Royale Vapour Lite T

Probably worth noting that the riding I do is smack bang in the 'trail' category. 2-3 hours at a time, with 1000m of climbing and 5-6 descents per ride.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I love my cheap ALDI shorts which are so much better than brands 4 times their price which have had failed zippers and clips.

I fit into the price and durability boxes.

Fashion I leave to my bike.
+1 for Aldi shorts. A wiggle house brand DHB just about everything else - they would be a brand worth studying if chasing the value/quality equation.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shorts/pants/shirt must be black or grey. Tapered lower on pants and shorts long enough to touch the top of knee pads. Pants should have a zippered pocket. Thats all.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Oh and any shorts should have belt loops.... no one wants to rely on the Velcro adjustments....... and agree with zip and buttons.....

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not too gaudy looking, not too tight around the neck which seems to be an issue with a lot of stuff for me, and not too expensive. $150 for shorts without a liner, I'll check whats on sale thanks.

moorey

call me Mia
not too gaudy looking, not too tight around the neck which seems to be an issue with a lot of stuff for me, and not too expensive. $150 for shorts without a liner, I'll check whats on sale thanks.
Yep. Loose around neck is a big thing. Hate being choked...Other than erotically.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Not looking like a twat and affordable.
<<Hides cringeworthy stash of Primal Wear and Sugoi tops >> Coupled with Aldi shorts and you are good to go. Buying a new liner from Ebay when needed works out well too.

Don't ask about the Euro Roadie wear but the Italian Bergamo stuff and Pearl Izumi knicks are very comfy.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
IMO
  1. Predictable sizing and fit is the most important, ie Italian label stuff is ridiculously small.
  2. Tops for commuting must be bright so black grey white backs are no good.
  3. Tops for mtbiking need zips to cool off and rear pockets .
  4. Shorts for touring need to be unlined or removable liners for easy drying.
Personally I dont like huge brand names on clothes , it looks like stupid and unimaginative advertising.
My favourite tops are the 90s crazy old Primal ones eg fierce dogs, crazy cats .

jp4294

Likes Dirt
Wow thanks so much everyone for the amazing input! I honestly didn't expect so much feedback so quickly.
I've updated the poll options with a few extra things.
Another thought...
How does everyone feel about having to try things on and feel materials before you buy? I know bike shops are becoming less and less prominent so...

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
  1. Predictable sizing and fit is the most important, ie Italian label stuff is ridiculously small.
forgot this one - I have a pair of funkier long road pants that fit great. bought the same size in shorts and they won't go past my knees.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would not be concerned with trying things on.
Just have real measurements available that are idiot proof.

In terms of material, comparisons with known brands may be enough?
If I am being completely honest, with a lot of the answers given, not sure the group here would be your target audience.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Wow thanks so much everyone for the amazing input! I honestly didn't expect so much feedback so quickly.
I've updated the poll options with a few extra things.
Another thought...
How does everyone feel about having to try things on and feel materials before you buy? I know bike shops are becoming less and less prominent so...
In all honesty it's as others have mentioned in having accurate and easy to use sizing charts..... but i think the key is that items be easy to return, no hassle. If you can setup that process with say AusPost (example!) where creating return slips via your website are super easy, even if not free, but minimal cost to buyer, than people won't hesitate.

It's all about convenience... if it seems too hard then it will be.

I buy all my clothes off local AUS companies for that reason, and to support local. I can't be bothered to deal with CRC or the likes for returns.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
If I am being completely honest, with a lot of the answers given, not sure the group here would be your target audience.
Obviously there are heaps of mountainbiking clothing categories from Chinese knockoffs and Aldi to Endura thru to Rapha and Assos.
I suspect most of us are in the middle market , though regardless of income most enthusiasts don't want to look like too much of a roadie executive knob type ie matchy matchy, skin tight, perfectly fitting, expensive stuff that screams" look at me"..

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
In the context of joining a crowded market, I voted for Australian made. My other vote was durability. I tend to buy from brands I've been impressed by in the past, and ditch those who've disappointed.

Retail is a tough slog at the best of times, and competing with volume businesses who already have supply chains from Asia or the subcontinent up and running you'd really be up against it without some serious financial backing.

If you offered a locally made product (assume fabric would have to be imported) I would probably give the product a go to support local.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
In the context of joining a crowded market, I voted for Australian made. My other vote was durability. I tend to buy from brands I've been impressed by in the past, and ditch those who've disappointed.

Retail is a tough slog at the best of times, and competing with volume businesses who already have supply chains from Asia or the subcontinent up and running you'd really be up against it without some serious financial backing.

If you offered a locally made product (assume fabric would have to be imported) I would probably give the product a go to support local.
anyone remember these guys, I still have one of their beanies floating around (had to give it to one of my boys after I gave my DMR beanie to the other one)
https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/lab-gear-clothing-530009.html

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Looks like they're gone, I do remember them.

I guess unfortunately locally-made does pump up the price, and you need people to really want to pay.

Hopefully local manufacturing will get a bit of a boost in the new world order.