MTB Apparel - What's most important?

Which 2 things are most important to you?

• Price

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Looks

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Brand names

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Durability

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Safety (abrasion protection)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Australian made

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Being able to try before you buy

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters

jp4294

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
Hope you're all staying safe and sane through coronavirus!
I have always wanted to create my own affordable MTB apparel (jerseys and shorts) and spending my days at home, I've finally had the chance to think about..
Wondering whether it is doable, I want to get the opinions of you guys - fellow riders - to see what is most important to YOU when you're looking for your next set of riding gear...
Admins, let me know if this is a no go and I'll delete it.
Any help would be legendary!
JP

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Price and looks (fit and materials rather than patterns). I would prefer no / minimal branding and not rowdy colour schemes.

Minlak

custom titis
Limited to 2 choices when my decision making is more complex than that :)
I look at price - unless I really like the way it looks - then price is more flexible (cause its now a must have) - However it proves to not be durable I will never buy it again - But there is no point it being durable and not looking good cause I still wont buy it - see complicated :)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
For me it's price/durability. I commute so I'm on a bike for a stupendous number of hours a week. My gear has to last, and the cheaper the better because I have to replace quite regularly

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A lot of brands don’t make shorts big enough for me. I am normally an XL or XXL. some XL still don’t fit me.

Minlak

custom titis
A lot of brands don’t make shorts big enough for me. I am normally an XL or XXL. some XL still don’t fit me.
I usually need XXL or XXXL and almost exclusively get my stuff from American retailer Aero Tech Designs

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Limited to 2 choices when my decision making is more complex than that :)
I look at price - unless I really like the way it looks - then price is more flexible (cause its now a must have) - However it proves to not be durable I will never buy it again - But there is no point it being durable and not looking good cause I still wont buy it - see complicated :)
This. If you are just talking jerseys and shorts then I’m not concerned with safety/abrasion. Has to be a good price and has to look good but I only find out about fit and durability after I’ve bought once. There are a few brands I’ll go back to now because of a good experience and some I’ll avoid because they felt much cheaper than they looked.
Also - this:
Plain design, subdued colours, nice fit. Cost matters but I'll pay more if it looks good, fits well and it doesn't look like I'm a walking advertisement.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plain design, subdued colours, nice fit. Cost matters but I'll pay more if it looks good, fits well and it doesn't look like I'm a walking advertisement.
An example would be Kitsbow Clothing. I'm not a fan of everything they do and I don't own any of their gear, but I've heard good things.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Being fat it's all about fit. I'm riding a 10 year old jersey as it's the only one that fits at my current weight.

On a side note there's a few business that are making a go of it like Track X and Dharco.

You will need a very good business model though and a thorough understanding of where you fit in the industry.

You will never compete on price nor if you just produce what is already out there.

Your product will need to be unique and worth paying a premium for.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Price, comfort, subdued/sensible looks, durability. In that order, but fairly equally weighted.

The Kitsbow stuff looks good above, but price would make that a no-deal for me. Most of my riding kit seems to be Fox Ranger/FlexAir at the moment, with some Fasthouse longsleeves for colder days. Mostly just because they were cheap/on sale, are comfortable, designed/breath well, and I know they should last at least a decent amount of time.

slowmick

38-39"
Designing clothes for mountain bikers has got to be insanely tough. Good luck with it.

#1 has to be fit. i have a huge tub of shorts from all the big brands - the ones that get worn till they are worn through are the Ground effect. they just work with my body shape. they are not cheap and not the most durable but they just work.

#2 - duarable for cost/comfort - hard to be duarable and cool for summer. .
Colors are tough. Almost all of my gear is dark colors and undertsated. The clay around here tends to stain light colours very quickly. Spotty clothes are no ones friend.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Haha, I tend to just wear good quality work shorts, but the one thing I'm OCD about is pockets. No meshy pocket linings or they feel like a cheesegrater knawing at my quads, and no big lump in the front corner where the stitching joins. To be honest shorts without pockets would be a big drawcard for me, as phone and keys go in the hydration pack every ride for me.

In terms of fit I don't like fabrics that don't have a little flex or stretch, but that probably comes from me being pretty lanky but reasonably flexible. And (as amusing as it sounds) not too much free space hanging under the crotch, or they can become a real seat-grabber.

stirk

Burner
I love my cheap ALDI shorts which are so much better than brands 4 times their price which have had failed zippers and clips.

I fit into the price and durability boxes.

Fashion I leave to my bike.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I just go for canvas mx. Otherwise whatever Monza has on sale. All my 100% stuff died in season 1 including my sunnies, frame snapped. Straight back to oakley and no issues.

Granted I've gone through this. I still have the instagram and logo I came up with at 2am years ago. Used to use scody for the race team, still both in great condition 8-9years later.

Attachments

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tough to work this out from here as you've got to get your segment right.
There's a broad cross section of riders here, weekend warriors, commuters, pros and newbs.

Everyone has different priorities so unless you filter the profile / segment you'll get muddy or unclear direction.

Figure out who you're after, then what they want.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Tough to work this out from here as you've got to get your segment right.
There's a broad cross section of riders here, weekend warriors, commuters, pros and newbs.

Everyone has different priorities so unless you filter the profile / segment you'll get muddy or unclear direction.

Figure out who you're after, then what they want.
I agree.... and only pick the segment you know.... take the best features of all the brands you like and own, and make something that perfectly suits your needs and you'll likely find it suits others as well.