MTB equivalent of The Walking Dead

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
This morning I chose to kill ten minutes at the tip shop between appointments. And this piece of shit caught my eye...

Technically, it still goes despite both hubs being internally stuffed, the fork fitted backwards and the lack of a headset, working brakes and sliding drop outs. Other features include interesting bolts on the crankset and a cut up elcheapo promo Sherrin as bar grips.

It is a zombie bike.

It was (I think) a Haro Thread One dirt jumper from the mid noughties...

...and I still paid $5 for it.

Anyone else got a zombie to share?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Ha! What a rig! You'd get $200 for that if it wasn't pressure packed.
If you need to get rid of it, I'm sure Pink Poodle could park it in Newcastle for you. ;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ha! What a rig! You'd get $200 for that if it wasn't pressure packed.
If you need to get rid of it, I'm sure Pink Poodle could park it in Newcastle for you. ;)
Something tells me that is the kind of bike ridden to he scene of the crime, not away from it...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Meh, cables could do with a tidy up, other than that it's still more desirable than an old orange 222

silentbutdeadly

How the fuck did they manage to get the back wheel in?
Looks like they either chopped the axle or offset it in the hub. Hard to tell but I managed to get it out. Hub still spins sort of nicely. So did the BB...

Frame only feels quite nice and the fork (which I'm guessing is a Bomber? Dunno but crown clamps the stanchions) feels like it might have some life in it.

Sadly the rear sliders seem to be well chewed. I've a set of PMW sliders that would've fitted but they wriggle. So it might be cactus unless I can get the sliders filled/welded and machined.

This could be just a welding practice frame...once the zombie makeup is blasted off!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Dirt Jam forks? Can't see the M bridge clearly. Look like old truvativ cranks....

Smash it with paint remover and hopefully it won't eat the coating on the stanchions

silentbutdeadly

Dirt Jam forks? Can't see the M bridge clearly. Look like old truvativ cranks....
Thanks for that. A bit more digging shows that they are actually Dirt Jumper 3 80mm which was actually what came with the bike. Found an exploded diagram of them...

The cranks are Truvative (Ruktion, I think) on the Howitzer BB...which is also original.

I've stripped the frame and will hang it in the future project stockpile...a zombie no longer.

Come on though...this can't be the only zombie bike that was out there!!!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I opened this thread expecting to see a cool faux-apocalyptic build similar to the nighthawk from the show.

This is better.

silentbutdeadly

Pics of the stripped frame?
Not yet...it is now hanging in the shed. Next to the other suspended rides and projects.

I reckon the sliding dropouts I have will be OK...as long as I never pretend it's still a dirt jumper.

Question is...do I strip the paint?

silentbutdeadly

Question is...do I strip the paint?
Going all self reverential here.

I splashed a bit of Citristrip at a fork leg and the top tube as a test...this bike has seen a lot of shit paint jobs. Light blue on white on black on orange on black...and that is just on the stanchion :scared:

Oh and given the original wheels are actually truly rooted (and painted to death)...I found that a pair of redundant 29 wheels wearing 700x42c tyres will fit no worries if I can rescue the fork...

silentbutdeadly

Maybe don't run the serial number?
I reckon it's under there somewhere...hopefully stamped under the BB. But probably filed off. If so then I'm reckoning that this'll eventually be a rebuild to donate to someone without a shedful of bikes already...:llama:

silentbutdeadly

The zombie is getting revived...though resurrection will take time.

The paint job is still there. Turns out that (apart from the seals and the paint on the stanchions) the forks were fine. And I found the serial number under the BB and six layers of paint...which I've decided not to strip [much].

Fork stanchions were cleaned, internals tidied, new seals installed and they function OK given the limitations of a basic coil spring fork. The fork is now back in the frame courtesy of an FSA Pig headset and it has a stem and bars from an Giant Anthem.

The front wheel now spins where previously it had been 'cup locked'. The rear wheel has yet to be inspected. In truth though the front wheel needs a new axle and the rear looks to have missing parts. So I'll probably need to source another 26" wheelset.

I have currently test fitted a 29er wheelset which fits fine (especially at the back) but does nothing great for the geometry unless I'm game to use a monster seat post. I have nearly enough gear to fit a 1x8 driveline to it...just need some cable disc brakes.

Pictures may well come...