MTB for my girlfriend and areas to ride in Sydney?

LoveB

Likes Dirt
hey all, I'm Paul. I want to get my gf started on mtb'ing with me..

Before I go into buying a bike, I thought I'd have her try it if she liked it (she has a cruiser that I restored so shes only really done road/pathway cycling)

we're staying at cremorne point and i saw that at manly (atleast I think thats the closest to me) they have MTB rentals.. I was wanting to take my gf there. Question is, is there a part of the manly dam mtb track I can take her to slowly get her into it? I rode the track this morning and I'm unsure as to whether theres other track options as I myself had to walk some parts of the track I couldnt do ( I know I know) and if not at manly dam, can you guys suggest a place I can take her? somewhere friendly to an mtb newbie. Plus points if theres an mtb rental place nearby.

2nd, I was wanting to get her an MTB. something not so expensive... How much will I be looking at and what do you suggest I look at?

Otherwise, if I end up getting the bike first I was thinking maybe I can have her try and bike with other women on an MTB trail so shes comfier than being with me. suggestions?? thanks!!

CalamityMTB

Likes Bikes
If you are talking cheap bikes (sub $600) i would suggest giant, they usually come out on top value for money. It depends how serious she is and whether she wants to ride it to the shops aswell. The boulder series make womens specific models that are pretty good value for around the $400-500 mark, most of these have v brakes and giant brand forks and components but they ride comfortably and can handle most firetrails with a little bit of smooth single track thrown in. They are not as tough as there higher models but they have the comforts of a womens frame, womens saddle and also ergo grips.

If she is fairly serious and wants to attack slightly more advanced stuff than perhaps something like the talon 3 which only comes in one frame style but has mech disc and sub-deore shimano drive train.

Obviously you can spend a hell of a lot more but i wouldnt suggest spending much less. :)

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Change that to "my gf wants to get started mtb'ing" and you'll be sweet. Unless she wants to do then forget about it.

Can't help you on the Manly dam thing, not a Sydney local. Remember fitness as well as skill can really limit the fun girls have when they start out.

As for a bike, just shop around - whatever fits and is in your price range. Girls specific or not doesn't matter as long as it fits, the big mistake is a lot of girls end up on 2nd hand stuff that is too big.

indica

Serial flasher
If she wants to ride then you MUST get her a bike as good as yours.
If you don't you are a dick.

When I got my wife riding I bought here a hardtail and I had my 6k dually and nearly lost the challenge to get here through the early days. I really only got away with it because the hardtail was stolen so she grabbed a Stinky and since then has bought a long travel XC bike and is with me fully in the love of MTBs and excessive bike expenditure.
Which in turn helped my convince her that I really needed the Fury.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I wouldn't take her to Manly Dam ... its not really a beginner track IMO. The Sniggle from the golf course would be good, but everything else will prolly be too rough for a first timer.

I think your better taking her to Loftus and doing the loop ... mainly firetrail, but nice and wide / open ... There are a couple of blind corners ... where I suggest you stop at to give her a warning of any incoming loons.

Alternatively ... Lady carrington drive ... also at the Royal National Park ... (I prefer parking at the waterfall end and then riding to Audley as opposed to vice versa). If you bring a picnic lunch thingy, you can stop at audley near the river ... How Romance is that. :p then finish the day with a nice cruisey pedal back.

As a non-dirt alternative ... riding around Homebush is kinda nice ... can get a bit crowded on weekends with families though ...

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&...077826&sspn=0.00932,0.021136&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

I haven't done this one ...
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&...792,151.069994&spn=0.018646,0.042272&t=h&z=15

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Paul,

My suggestion is not to buy her a bike but help her select one. Big difference. If she is prepared to hand over the hard earned then she wants to go riding. If you go out and buy it then there is a question as to whether or not she actually wants to do it. I would also see if a friend would be willing to loan her a bike for the first couple of outings to see if she does actually want to go riding. It doesn't matter how much you end up spending on the bike, if she doesn't ride it then it is a waste.

A couple of suggestions to help her generate a passion for riding is to organise a couple of friends to go out and make it into a social gathering with friends and preferably with a few other women involved in the outing. Try and make it as social and relaxing as possible in the beginning as mtbing is not easy for anyone to learn to do, more so if they don't ride or do any exercise at all.

The other thing is, don't leave her behind by herself at any stage. The reason she may want to go riding in the first place is to just to be with you. Give her the time out on the trail as she maybe nervous about being there in the first place and finding herself on her own will certainly end any future endeavors out on the dirt. If she says for you to go ahead and she is fine, don't do this either, stay with her. Remember, you can go screaming down that awesome piece of single track with your mates another time but right now it is about helping your gf get out on the trail and showing her how good you are will not if she is struggling.

As far as trails go, have a chat to your LBS or your local mtb club. They will have a better idea as to what is in your area. They may even have organised social rides which you can take her on. The LBS may also have loaner bikes for these occasions too.

Another place for some tips for getting your gr out is Silent Revolution. Look them up via google. It is a site and concept for female mtbers to get together and talk about all things mtbing. Introduce your gf to this site to also show her that heaps of women are into riding mtbs'.

Good luck champ.

chica

Likes Dirt
I agree with MTB Wanabe - very sound advice. If you spend the qlty time riding WITH your GF in the beginning you will be rewarded with her being more likely to continue the sport in the longer term.

Having ridden with my BF and his mates for many years, it can be demotivating riding by yourself at the back all the time, however this can also be motivation to try harder and become a better rider. I think MTB is a social sport, so it makes sense to be riding with people rather than on your pat malone.

re a bike - can she borrow a bike for the first few rides? alternatively, and this worked for me :) buy a good bike that way you have to ride it to justify your purchase!

Manly Dam is not a beginners track, I know of a few girls that have learnt to ride there
and it has almost ended their MTB interest.

There is a beginners ride posted for this Saturday morning at the Royal National Park - feel free to encourage your girlfriend to come along. It's posted on http://www.silentrevolution.com.au I have a Giant Trance size 16/Med she can borrow if she wants to join this ride and has no bike.

Get her a good seat and some knicks! it will make the introduction to MTB that much more enjoyable.

steff1

Likes Bikes
Love the suggestions.

I agree that Manly Dam is definitely not a beginner track.

Try Terrey Hills -the Perimeter trail is a good beginner track - 7kms of dirt each way (fire trail, no single track), with good road access at each end if she's had enough.

steff

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Mt Annan is the perfect beginners track.

Once you and her have mastered that, you can trip on down to Appin. But don't take her there first - too many rocky ascents - descents!

AnyaMona

Cannon Fodder
Manly Dam

HEY

Well this tread sounds similar. My Boyfriend has just introduce me to riding. He and I have just moved over to OZ from Ireland. He's into downhill so we decided to rent some bikes from Manly and go and check out the routes. Ive been on a bike before but never done cross country and anything like that. So we headed round manly dam. I was grand. didn't fall off once and I didn't feel uncomfortable. Any ropey parts, I just got off and walked but that was only about twice.

I just bought a bike there to get me started. Got a Trek in Manly cycles for $550. Has disc brakes, and front suspensions and does the job for a beginner like myself. If your girlfirend needs anyone to go riding with, I gladly go out with her on a few trails.

Anya

Last edited:

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Not completely on topic - you've got to love the way that women are prepared to lend bikes to non-riders and complete strangers to have a go, or offer to take new riders for a ride.

A little more on topic, as has been said by pinkbike, make sure your girlfriend is into riding to start with.

Find a group of like-minded women to show her the ropes, that way you're out of trouble should she not enjoy it (and as chica said http://www.silentrevolution.com.au is a great place to start with plenty of women with varying skills and maximum social focus.

Some MTB clubs offer loaner bikes (CORC does for example), which might be another avenue for both of you.

And should you buy a bike, try as many as possible. Any bike store that doesn't offer demo bikes doesn't deserve your business.

Me, I just ride blue bikes :)

chica

Likes Dirt
so how'd you go with your GF?

Before I go into buying a bike, I thought I'd have her try it if she liked it (she has a cruiser that I restored so shes only really done road/pathway cycling)

we're staying at cremorne point and i saw that at manly (atleast I think thats the closest to me) they have MTB rentals.. I was wanting to take my gf there. Question is, is there a part of the manly dam mtb track I can take her to slowly get her into it? I rode the track this morning and I'm unsure as to whether theres other track options as I myself had to walk some parts of the track I couldnt do ( I know I know) and if not at manly dam, can you guys suggest a place I can take her? somewhere friendly to an mtb newbie. Plus points if theres an mtb rental place nearby.

2nd, I was wanting to get her an MTB. something not so expensive... How much will I be looking at and what do you suggest I look at?

Otherwise, if I end up getting the bike first I was thinking maybe I can have her try and bike with other women on an MTB trail so shes comfier than being with me. suggestions?? thanks!!
Any luck with getting her addicted yet? If she's keen with riding with some other girls, the offer is still there for a social ride at Royal National Park.

Hi all,

I thought this thread would be a good place for this question rather than starting another thread.

My wife has done a little riding, is pretty fit and wants to do more. We live near Manly dam, she can get around it walking a few sections but doesn't really enjoy it 'cos it's a bit beyond her technicaly.

So I am looking for other options. I have ridden Ourimba and I think she is close to that but maybe not quite yet. Are Awaba or Mount Annan easier than Ourimba?

Obviously the trails in both spots are graded for difficulty but she has found that the greens are a bit boring but the intermediates are a big step up.

Keen to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

chica

Likes Dirt
Awaba is a great track, i don't recall there being an rocky sections, everyone loves Awaba and i'm sure your wife will too. I have not ridden Mt Annan so can't comment.
You may also want to try Yellomundee, this is another great Sydney trail for all riding levels - there are a few different trails you can connect up to make it more or less challenging.