Mtb gym routine

tobbogonist

a registered member
Gyms are finally opening back up in rural vic and im looking to set up some sort of routine.
Was never big on going to the gym but it does absolute wonders for my abysmal mental health, previously I would go smash out a mixture of body building type excercising along with climbing strength training from my rock climbing days. Gave me muscles to flash at the beach but that was about it.

Anyone have any details on specific mtb type workouts at the gym?
Pre covid I was there most days, would be helpful to do something useful to what i enjoy, as apposed to lifting the heavy thing for the sake of it.
Ive checked out a few youtube vids etc but would appreciate some sort of real world information from people who aren't trying to sell me something/build a social media empire.

(I did a bit of a search but could not find a previous thread.)

Thanks in advance.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Yeah she is a beast - I would suggest building core strength - bridges - ab / oblique work sort of stuff as well
I used to do a fair amount of mat type stuff to do with core, and chin ups with legs extended etc.
I think i might continue on as i used to but cut back on the muscle building stuff for arms/shoulders and do a bit more on the old legs.
Cheers Minlak

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I've just started doing 5x5 -

Squats
Deadlifts
Barbell Rows
Military Press
Bench Press

(Not all on the same day).

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Plenty of people who disagree too :) Deadlifts - done properly- are one of the best lifts you can do. But yes, lots of way to injure yourself if not done properly...
Funnily enough they have been the most important part of my late stage rehab for the ol’ L5/S1 herniation.

Do them properly and don’t be a hero picking up things that are too heavy.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Thanking-you.
My technique is pretty good, ive been on and off gym junkie since school when I realised it made the bad thoughts go away somewhat. As much as i hate being there the post gym buzz is worth it.

Never been much of a legs guy so will have to change focus.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Do an hour of deadlifts and you'll never get arm pump on the bike again.

http://instagr.am/p/BFFIoCKKVgb/

I've always found the gym best for doing stuff that's complementary to cycling. Leg power stuff is fun but I'm not a racer so I'm not really looking for those extra seconds in a sprint, and I find I benefit far more from compound and core/stability exercises in the gym that help to balance out the fact that my usual exercise regimen is basically exclusively cycling based and constantly leaves me with bullshit tight hamstrings and an aching lower back as a result.

Dead lifts, single leg dead lifts, clean/press, Russian twists, chest raises, kettlebell work, twisting lunges, sessions on the rowing erg, chinups, hanging leg raises, swiss ball dumb bell chest presses/flys etc etc. Resist the temptation to just go and do bulk leg work.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I'd add planks and dead bugs to suggestions from @leitch and also some form of loaded carry / walks.

But I lift purely for lifting these days so I'm probably not the best to ask because I just end up terrible at cycling and lifting :p

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plenty of people who disagree too :) Deadlifts - done properly- are one of the best lifts you can do. But yes, lots of way to injure yourself if not done properly...
its pretty easy to avoid injury if you dont keep aiming for higher totals. most training is done around 70% of 1rep max and thats pretty comfortable. higher weights, close to max and you get back rounding and drop in form. A lot of people frown on straps, but I find using them i dont rush when grip starts to give way, and grip is not my primary focus

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Funnily enough they have been the most important part of my late stage rehab for the ol’ L5/S1 herniation.

Do them properly and don’t be a hero picking up things that are too heavy.
I got told in no uncertain terms by my physio and doctor to avoid them after diagnosis of an L4/L5 protrusion. I always found them easy to screw up even when focusing on technique as it's so easy to push that little bit too hard and screw up.

One thing's for certain, it's definitely critical to get right as it's easy to lift too much or lift with the wrong technique and the consequences aren't something to take lightly.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
In short though:

If you have no back issues etc that prevent you from doing them, you have been taught proper form and are able to maintain it, you keep it to about RPE 6-7 for sets of 5-6, then it should be beneficial for MTB.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Kettle bell training ive found to be very complimentary to MTBing ,

I have a set at home that ive owned for roughly 10 years , that ive been using a lot more than usual with the gyms closed , I have 2 x 12s, 2 x 16s , a 20 , a 24 and a 28 . I find the pro grade best, everyone is the same size and shape regardless of weight ,

, and i have noticed the difference while riding with less body faitgue since ive been doing more

brawlo

Squid
Chasing some sort of sport specific workout is a red herring. Get strong in the gym, use your sport to tailor your strength for your sport. A workout like @HamboCairns will work well. I personally do a 2 day split with legs/back/chest day 1 and arms and shoulders day 2. That allows me to workout on subsequent days if I get the chance, but that is pretty rare. I'd throw some mobility work in there as well. I have a 3rd and 4th day worked out for myself which are predominantly mobility work plus some extra work on legs, but since life has hit a twisted kind of normal now I don't end up with the time to fit them in.

Interesting comments from Robert Oberst regarding deadlifts.

View attachment 368586
Worth mentioning that RO was talking in relation to the upper echelons of sport (specifically NFL) and lifting big weights that I'm fairly sure noone here would be knocking on the door of (happy to be proven wrong)

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I used to do a lot of of heavy dead lifts in my younger years and got a back injury one day as a result ,popped a disc , the problem becomes with heavy weight and fatigue , your form can go out the window as you push for that extra rep , dead lifting with heavy weight and poor form is a recipe for disaster ,

With perfect form, a more moderate weight in higher reps , it is excellent for strengthening areas that are beneficial for MTBing ,

Sumo type deadlifts with a kettlebell are a good way to get the benefits and easier to maintain good form than a bar IMO .