MTB New Zealand, January 2011 - lots of pics

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
My Wife, Son and I have just come back from a 3 week holiday in New Zealands South Island.
My wife and I are both Kiwis but had not been back for several years, in which time the growth in the Mountain bike scene has been huge. New Zealand has tried and succeeded in marketing itself as the worlds premier adventure destination particularly centered around Queenstown in the lower center of the south Island.
AJ Hackett set up the worlds first bungy jumping operation here, jet boats were invented in the south island for the common braded gravel rivers, the ski season is long and consistant, hiking and the pristine environment all being prime atractions
But our interest for the 7 days we spent Queenstown was the mountain biking which has recently had a lot of coverage in the Kiwi and Australian MTB press as becoming the Whistler of the south.
Has it suceeded?
Having never been to Whistler I find it difficult to comment but from I saw and experienced it is making a pretty good attempt.
The Queenstown MTB club with a lot of support from local council has produced some of the best riding I have every seen, from white knuckle world class DH with a gondola to get to the top, huge free ride and jump parks to beautiful high country XC, it has it all.
All set out on a map that will cost you $3.00 AUD from one of the many first rate bike shops
Queentown is a town of about 10,000 on the shores of lake Wakatipu. [Crystal clear, 50 miles long, freezing cold and 1380!!! feet deep in parts] ringed by steep mountains with ski fields 20 minutes drive away it makes a pretty cool destination.
Pumped full of powder hounds during winter and it seems, MTBers, hikers and general tourists in the summer

From the center of town to the top of the peak runs the skyline gondola, as of late Jan this year it has been opened for MTBs for access to the large number of fantastic DH runs in the Ben lomond forest.
Beautifully groomed Black diamond and double black DH runs, all clearly marked run like spaggetti down the hill to finish at the base of the gondola station. $70 kiwi dollars [approx $50 AUD] will get you an all day pass on the gondola with your bike.
Bike hire shops abound with all types of rigs available

Views from the top
Awesome

My son suiting up for a run

Lift off for my 12 year old son on one run

Scenery and single track :)

Fancy hitting the local jump park - no problem, its all free!

or maybe doing a little wood work at the Wynyard free ride park - these photos do not do this area justice, a 10 minute ride from downtown.
Is case you are wondering why we are not in any shots in this area, I'm 46 and sensible, my son is 12 and exactly the opposite but with his dad to control his exuberance

Helibiking. $270 AUD will get you a 12 minute copper ride, a bike, in my case a 2011 Giant Reign 2, 1800 meters of vertical decent over 18 kms from well above the snow line to a finish amoungst the vineyards at 200 meters asl
It is like riding on the moon at the top at just over 2000 meters
AWESOME

Franz Joseph Glacier on the west coast approx 300km from Queentown - 200 meters above sea level

The river is the Waiho and flows directly OUT of the glacier. The photo was taken at 4.00 pm, air temp was 13 degrees, river temp is around 0.5 degress C hence the mist rising off the river as the freezing [literally] water hits the relatively warm air
You DONOT want to fall in

My Trance X1 next to the river - full natural colours, no photoshop

I had to throw these two shots in.
Baldwin Street in Dunedin, a city 200km from Queenstown and is officialy the steepest street in the world, at its steepest it has a grade of 1 in 2.86, I had to have a crack.
Did I make it, sadly no, about 3/4 of the way up I could not keep a straight line or the front wheel on the deck.

If you are an Aussie, do your self a favour and jump on a plane.
3 hours from Sydney is riding paradise and at an exchange rate of 1.35 it bloody good value.

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
Great thread mate cheers, want to go over a.s.a.p filming and riding. I worked at Treble Cone and Cardrona in 2000-01.

I didn't mountain bike at all though, got into it year's later.

Cheers.

Kramer

FoBR
Great photos and write up!

Notice you have some different bikes in the photos - are the longer travel bikes hire bikes? If so, are they good spec and price for hire?

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I also did a couple of days riding over there in January this year. I only rode 7mile near Queenstown on a hired trance X3. Def on the agenda to take my bike over in the future and stay in queenstown for a week or so.
Rotorua was also good. The powers that be have a much softer approach to mtb, and most other things for that matter, over there - the riding parks are numerous, large, signposted, mapped, well maintained and usually free.
Awesome holiday destination and cheaper than Oz.

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
Great write up and the pics just sell it. A mate and I are talking about it already.

Looks like the trail that Steve Smith and Gee ride in Follow Me, well similar landscape anyway.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Great photos and write up!
Notice you have some different bikes in the photos - are the longer travel bikes hire bikes? If so, are they good spec and price for hire?
We took 2 bikes from Cairns, A 2011 Giant Trance X1 and a 2010 Mongoose Teocali Super.
Both are mine but my son borrows one and we swap depending on terrain and how generous I am feeling :)
For the record, Air NZ charged me $30.00 for one extra piece of luggage getting there, as they have a limit of one checked bag per passenger and charge $30 for each additional piece, where as Qantas charged $169.00 excess baggage getting back, $10.00 per kg no exceptions whether sporting goods or not which is BS but it still worked out way cheaper than hiring for 7 days.

As for bike hire, there are several bike shops that hire in Queenstown ranging from crap hard tails through to very good spec dualies of all types from full DH to XC.
Vertigo bikes run a range of tours which include bikes [they would not discount despite me having my own, hence the Reign in the helibiking shots, I figured I may as well trash their bike not my Goose], my son did a DH guided tour in Ben Lamond forest for $159NZ, 3 runs including gondola up lift and bike hire. He got a 2010 Norco DH rig with good spec and in good condition,
I went Helibiking for $400 NZ which included a 2011 Giant Reign 2

They also hire bikes and supply self guided tour map sheets.
Bikes I saw in their fleet included: Giant Alias entry level hard tails, Giant anthem 2's, Giant Trance X2, Giant Reign and Giant Glory's.
All were in excellent condition and well serviced.

Oh yeah - the season ends at the end of May when Vertigo Bikes morphs in to a ski shop.
Apparently they sell off the entire fleet at that point

Last edited:

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Vertigo is where I hired the trance from. Bike was fine except the rear derailleur didn't want to get into top gear and I didn't want to play with it in case.......... Only needed it for the commute to the track so it didn't affect actual riding.
They had a sign saying exhire hardtails $400, dualies $1000 - no specifics on models.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
For the record, Air NZ charged me $30.00 for one extra piece of luggage getting there, as they have a limit of one checked bag per passenger and charge $30 for each additional piece, where as Qantas charged $169.00 excess baggage getting back, $10.00 per kg no exceptions whether sporting goods or not which is BS but it still worked out way cheaper than hiring for 7 days.
You'll find if you organise it properly when you book your flights Qantas works out to be cheaper than Air NZ, and if you have frequent flyer points you can do it all for under $200 return. You can up your luggage allowance in 5kg increments for a relatively small amout (can't remember, think $25?)
These shots look great mate, now that the precedent has been set and more and more posts like yours pop up and give people a real look at what's on offer I reckon by next season aussies will be busting down the gates! NZ is light years ahead in this game.

kynan77

Likes Bikes
nice photos, i am heading to queenstown in 9 days!!!
looking foward to riding the new dh trails off the gondla hill. i will post some pics up when i get back.

Robbo134

Squid
Going in April. I know it will be cold but that is all i can manage with work. I am so stoked. Should be epic. I plan to by a season pass as I will be there a couple of weeks. I also intend to do the Heli Bike trip, Paragliding, and anything else that will make this the most epic trip of my life. Being a DH rider i will be taking my Specialized Demo II, I know that it will be an over kill for a lot of the tracks but it's my one decent bike. Just so stoked. Thanks for the photos and info.
Cheers Scott

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Going in April. I know it will be cold but that is all i can manage with work. I am so stoked. Should be epic. I plan to by a season pass as I will be there a couple of weeks. I also intend to do the Heli Bike trip, Paragliding, and anything else that will make this the most epic trip of my life. Being a DH rider i will be taking my Specialized Demo II, I know that it will be an over kill for a lot of the tracks but it's my one decent bike. Just so stoked. Thanks for the photos and info.
Cheers Scott
A bit of advice if you do the heli bike, dont use your Demo, take one of their Reigns, It wont be cheaper taking your own, the route down is not rough or technical enough for a full DH rig and there are some pedaly bits that would be a real drag on the Demo.
They will alo look after any mechanicals you have if you use one of their bikes, if its your own all bets are off.

Definately do the Skippers Canyon DH run just out of Queenstown.
F**king awesome - the record is just over 6 minutes, how that was possible is beyond me.

If you have not yet sorted accommodation and want to do it on a budget, have a look at the tourist cabins in the Queenstown Lakeview holiday Park.
They aren't flash but they are literally 100 meters from the Gondola uplift and a 5 minute walk from down town.
Central to every thing, oh yeah

backdoor

Likes Bikes
Going in April. I plan to by a season pass as I will be there a couple of weeks. I also intend to do the Heli Bike trip
Cheers Scott
I'll be over there from WA in April, fire me a PM if you want to hook up for some runs.
The Demo won't be overkill. The stuff in town under the gondy is fun on just about any bike, but there's plenty of other rad trails nearby where you'll be happy on a big bike.

But, I'll second using one of the hire bikes for the heli. Depending who you go with there's a bit of pedalling. Not sure about Fat Tyre's Roaring Meg heli drop, but the Vertigo heli drop definately does have some flat and odd little bit of up hill. Mainly ball tearing downhill though.

Baldwin St

Jeff, great to see that you gave Baldwin st a crack and thanks for the photos - plenty of open spaces in NZ. I went to Uni (Kiwi's say "varsity") in Dunedin and remember doing speed runs down topping out at 104km/hr in the early 90's.

The other thing to mention is that other track users are happy to see Mountain bikers in NZ and DOC have taken a proactive approach to opening up more access and maintained the tracks.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
I just got back from 2 weeks over there and had mixed experiences which i did on my C'dale rize.

Dunedin was great with Signal Hill DH and the xc trails at Leith.

Queenstown - I did helibiking with Fat Tyre Tours, I felt pretty ripped off for my $350. after explaining to them my riding history (15 years all over the world in all disciplines) I got paried up with a beginner couple on what was rutted 4wd track. the 3 hour ride turned into about an hour of riding time and alot of talking, most of it with the ''guide' unable to tell us basic local knowledge things. I had a more challenging and enjoyalbe ride at Nerang on the wekend.
this put me off Queenstown so spent the rest of the time drinking as the beer gives the promised results.

Wanaka. This place is great. All the adventure of Queenstown without the Tourist element. (although I was there with 1000 Triathletes, not sure which is worse.) They have a great jump park near town and the singletrack a few kms out of town reminds me of what this sport is all about, rather than alot of the sanitised trails we have now.

On my last day I found a MTB guide book called Chill Adventures. i wish I had found this earlier as it is great. It did point out that there is DH runs at Mt Hutt which I was 20 min away from so the bike packing was put on hold and I got some runs in on that. This is great riding for the higher skill set. (some of there easy runs I was hesitant on.).

Definately keen to head back though.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I just got back from 2 weeks over there and had mixed experiences which i did on my C'dale rize.
Queenstown - I did helibiking with Fat Tyre Tours, I felt pretty ripped off for my $350. after explaining to them my riding history (15 years all over the world in all disciplines) I got paried up with a beginner couple on what was rutted 4wd track. the 3 hour ride turned into about an hour of riding time and alot of talking, most of it with the ''guide' unable to tell us basic local knowledge things. I had a more challenging and enjoyalbe ride at Nerang on the wekend.
I had no issues like this when I went with Vertigo.
We had one guide to the 5 of us, at all stops he would explain where the "Official" next stopping point was and that he would be at the back at all times.
On the trip I went on I happened to be the fittest and fastest [which is not really saying a great deal :)]
I was "volunteered" for the lead rider in each section of the ride which meant I arrived at the meeting point 5 or more minutes ahead of the next rider.
This was no issue for me as it gave me time to take photos and soak in the scenery.
We were never paired up or exected to ride to someone elses pace, you just arrived in a strung out line over 10 minutes or so.
it was very cool.
The ride also comprised of maybe 60% pure single track, 20% very rain rutted, rough
4WD track and 20% good gravel road - an OK mix I thought.
The single track while not that technical, it was quite freaky in parts, one slip or pedal strike and you could have been punted straight off the track down a near vertical valley slope in to a spaniard.

As a side note, I rang Fat Tyre Adventures to enquire about a trip prior to going with Vertigo, I still have a brochure in front of me, when I rang they only offered me the "Cardrona Pub Run" 1600m down to 500m.
I passed on this as Vertigo gave me 2000m to 200m for the same price, no contest.
The Cardrona run in the brochure is noted as, and I quote "A faster less technical ride for speed freaks or those on a tight time frame"
To me this reads as "Smooth gravel road, boring as bat shit but you can go really fast'
Crap in other words

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Nice stuff ... thanks for the pics and insight ... looks like you researched a little betterer then some :cool:

This thread got me hankering ... thumbs up :)

Stinky

Likes Dirt
I had no issues like this when I went with Vertigo.
We had one guide to the 5 of us, at all stops he would explain where the "Official" next stopping point was and that he would be at the back at all times.
On the trip I went on I happened to be the fittest and fastest [which is not really saying a great deal :)]
I was "volunteered" for the lead rider in each section of the ride which meant I arrived at the meeting point 5 or more minutes ahead of the next rider.
This was no issue for me as it gave me time to take photos and soak in the scenery.
We were never paired up or exected to ride to someone elses pace, you just arrived in a strung out line over 10 minutes or so.
it was very cool.
The ride also comprised of maybe 60% pure single track, 20% very rain rutted, rough
4WD track and 20% good gravel road - an OK mix I thought.
The single track while not that technical, it was quite freaky in parts, one slip or pedal strike and you could have been punted straight off the track down a near vertical valley slope in to a spaniard.

As a side note, I rang Fat Tyre Adventures to enquire about a trip prior to going with Vertigo, I still have a brochure in front of me, when I rang they only offered me the "Cardrona Pub Run" 1600m down to 500m.
I passed on this as Vertigo gave me 2000m to 200m for the same price, no contest.
The Cardrona run in the brochure is noted as, and I quote "A faster less technical ride for speed freaks or those on a tight time frame"
To me this reads as "Smooth gravel road, boring as bat shit but you can go really fast'
Crap in other words
Yep thats the run I did. I read that quote to the lady doing the booking and raised my concerns with the technicality and she assured me it would be challenging. No complaints with the Cardrona Pub though.

I would definately go with Vertigo if I was to do that again.

markyh990

Likes Dirt
Went all over the south island for a week just after new years, wow what a place, Australia really should take on what they are doing in NZ with amazing trails in every direction. In dunedin, q-town wanaka and christchurch there are all amazing, perfectly groomed trails. I know in dunedin they are being built and maintained by a really committed bunch of young guys who seriously know what they are doing.

In dunedin, go to bikeotago, its owned by justin leov (re world cup racer) and they will point you in the right direction around there.

Can't wait to get back over next summer