Private Property MTB - Nymboidia, NSW (west of Grafton)

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Bit hard to tell, but from the top pic, the new alignment heads across towards the watertank, before starting a big, banked corner that crosses about 5m above the RCS. Sounds exactly like what you were recommending??
Really complements the flow of the trail and is sure to bring more riders to check it out.
I encouraged Haydn to get Adrian up there yonks ago (over 12 months ago) to do a massive berm with the excavator, it;s an easy place to get to for the excavator. I am not sure what happened there ? My guess, Mozzie said no and used Adrain elsewhere but who knows ? Anyway, hope the new alignment rides well.

and oi ! :) a bit harsh calling it the worst turn on the trail network, I would rate any number of unsustainable climbing turns on Keelback, Wedgetail or Hammerhead as "worse" :D and lets not go to Mt Stuart for some true shockers ;) It definitely didn't fit in with the flow but it was holding up to wear and tear... (well it had lasted two wet seasons with little to no erosion when I left)

My MTB Trail Blog for anyone interested

http://mn-mtb.blogspot.com/

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and oi ! :) a bit harsh calling it the worst turn on the trail network, I would rate any number of unsustainable climbing turns on Keelback, Wedgetail or Hammerhead as "worse" :D and lets not go to Mt Stuart for some true shockers ;) It definitely didn't fit in with the flow but it was holding up to wear and tear... (well it had lasted two wet seasons with little to no erosion when I left)
Ouch! I knew that was going to come back to bite me. ;)

To be fair, the RCS was fine and had no issues (which is why it was kept intact for another project), the problem was more the steep, fast section just above it, that has some nasty big skid ruts, which had been getting worse with water damage.
The whole point of the re alignment was to try and get riders to bleed off speed naturally, by sending them across the hill and onto a nice big wide corner.

You'll have to come back for a visit and see how we did. Afterall, the student is only as good as his teacher. :cool:

Last edited:

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
We did some tidying up today, there was a part of the trail that had to be aligned underneath a large Spotted Gum, finally got to doing it properly. We had to drag rocks from afar, as we needed to do some 1/2 bench and the rocks where to provide support for the fill.

It's never ideal to align any trail below a tree, you have to contend with the roots when you try to put a bench in, but sometimes it's unavoidable. After gathering more rocks, then benching and dragging dirt to use as fill, the trail was starting to take shape

We continued on further down the trail, where another piece of off camber track needed some benching,

Little by little we're attending to the finishing of the first part of our trail network. The only major job left is the construction over a large log. It's on an off-camber corner, so we will be putting an in-slope on it. The timber for the bearers has been seasoned, we've scavenged some hardwood for the decking, now we just need to find time to get it done !

Great looking trails, just hope you had a chance to ride it in a bit before the weekends rain. Nothing worse than seeing hard work washed away.

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Nothing worse than seeing hard work washed away.
If it gets washed away, you built it wrong ! All our stuff has survived the continual rains we've had here in Northern NSW. Of course, we don't ride them when they are super wet, as this causes too much damage.

Last edited:

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
After being overseas for a time and getting a few projects around the property done, it was time to get back to the trails

Heaps of new work has been done !

The last couple days have seen work progressing nicely. Toni came out and helped one afternoon to add some of her muscle to a couple bigger jobs.

The trails now marked out to the top, the only small compromise is moving the trail head back down the track a little, meaning thigh bone has already started :) This allowed us to incorporate some nifty trail features as well as ensure the climb was not to steep but will make the descent a "hoot" of a ride ! We had always planned something interesting as the easy climbing track, "ankle bone" has been built.

Large Log Obstacle
This nifty fallen tree provided an excellent opportunity for something a little different, an A line over a "Y" in the log, with a drop off on the back side as you descend. We cut a narrow gap to slow down those that choose the "B" line for the descent, this also is also the line you have to take when ascending. The "Y" in the log will be filled will loose logs from another coppiced tree, leaving the logs "lose" under the wheels should add a degree of interest to the trail feature ! Pics are worth a 1000 words, so hears a few thousand..

Chainsaw cut for the "B" line through a 3ft thick log !

"A" line of the same log, looking up, with a drop off on the
down side !

Same log from above, "A" line (left), "B" line, right

Logs curing, after debarking, in preparation for use as stringers
on the up-ramp over the log

Once again we have coppiced logs beside the trail for use in construction, in my opinion, the most environmentally sustainable method of construction, knowing the provenance of the materials !

Half Bench
Here the trail threads between a large spotted gum and a large string bark, the down hill side is right near a 10m near vertical drop into a creek. The large spotted gum was providing stabilisation but needed a little help to make the track a little "safer" and more sustainable. We built a rock wall and filled it with cut material from the benched track a little further up the trail.

Through the trees, before

Through the tree, after

Rocks providing stabilisation for the fill.

Benched Trail
We also spent a fair bit of time benching the track where it was needed, the side slope is not particularly steep, so not a lot of cutting is needed, that combined with the softer, loamy, ground made for quick excavation. Having done a lot of trail work in Townsville on the Douglas trails where the ground is rocky and the soil as hard as rock, this is about 10x as fast ! Sweeeeettttt...

Benched track through the rain forest on "Leg Bone".

Interesting Obstacles
Gravity Drop
There's a nifty Gravity Drop as an A line to come, I have roughed this out and it's rideable. if you're careful but really needs a little benching as there is a small off camber section that is a bit "tricky".

Overlocker Corner
This has two sets of two large trees to thread the needle through, thus "Overlocker". Sewing aficionados will know why we called it "Overlocker Corner"

Top of the corner, first set of trees to "thread" between

Half way through the corner, the second set of tress to "thread" between
Then cross a log as you exit the corner

Soil ramps over log after "overlocker" corner

I would estimate we are about 50% of the way through the trail so far. I hope to have it finished by the time of the social ride, on the 29th May.

More about the social ride here

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Saturday and Monday saw me doing a couple of big working bee's on the new trail. I have marked it out totally, roughed it in totally and done most of the construction.

About 150m of trail work is needed to finish it and then a few jobs that need two people, mainly some benching for about 100m or so (in total) where I will need Toni's help.

I hope to have it 100% rideable and 95% finished tomorrow !

One of the areas that needs benching

Sweet little drop off and into the creek, tricky to climb

Small rock garden cum creek crossing partly constructed

What it looks like before I get stuck in !

The plan is to ride it tomorrow to see if any areas need "tweaking" or re-aligning slightly, one of the areas I have a concern with is this hair-pin corner

Right Angled corner around a huge Spotted Gum

I deliberately made sure the trail went up from both sides to get to the turn, to slow the riders down as it is a a right angled turn. To realign the downhill side I would need to come out to make the angle of the turn less acute but to do that I will need to remove two small trees, something I am reluctant to do unless absolutely necessary.

Another area that might need some more work is this gravity drop "A" line for the descent, you would not bother trying to climb this as it;s way to steep in the other direction !

Gravity Drop on the "A" line

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, well, riding in this case, on these two and a couple other areas that might be a concern, I will report back after tomorrows ride !

Roughed out trail

One of the advantages of most of the terrain I am working with is that I can rough it out and then ride it later, just to double check. Like in the picture below, I can ride though for the ultimate test before committing to this exact line. I often find I tweak the line a little, someone I could never do on some other projects I have worked on as the terrain is way to rough and the trail basically stays where it is, regardless

Roughed out trail
The blue flagging tape on the trees is used to mark the corridor prior to roughing it, it's at that stage I use the clino etc to make sure the grades are acceptable. I collect the tape for recycling after the project is finished, it's plastic so it only photo-degrades (UV breaks it down) and ends up as microscopic pieces of plastic in the environment, eaten by smaller animals ending up in the food chain, or washed down waterways when it rains to end up in the rivers and eventually the Ocean becoming plastic soup !. The other option of course is to use biodegradable tape and just leave it there but anyone using flagging tape, for the sake of the environment, please collect it, pontification over with !