MTB on Sth Coast NSW (Ulladulla region)

DeBloot

Feeling old
Thinking of doing the sea change thing to Ulladulla or nearby sometime in the future
I'm a member of all the local FB groups, but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of interesting riding

Mogo (fires notwithstanding) and Nowra are about 60 k's away when I'm used to having options nearby
And i'm not even sure if the riding at these places is that great

Anybody know what the best options are for the Sat/ Sun blat around some nice singletrack (or even after work??)

DeBloot

Feeling old
I can find 6km's of trail in Ulladulla at Woodburn.
Haven't seen around Bateman's - I'll have a squizz

I've found the best way to find the good trails is to ask as the best one's may not be authorised
I had a plan to hook up with some locals over Xmas and then in Feb, but the whole area is a mess
Wondering if anyone had some first hand knowledge of the area

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, not many people disclose pirate trails these days. If you know your way around strava it usually reveals a lot.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Oh of course, what was i thinking
Same deal as up here in the upper blue mountains
Not 1 official trail and lots of secrecy, paranoia etc
Had to build our own trail up here to have something close to home

Still like to know what Woodburn and anywhere authorised is like
Might have to ask at the bike shop when I'm down there - not much looks rideable atm

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The SCUM trails at Nowra are good fun, though more on the XC side of things. They lost one of their loops Coondoo in the recent fires, which was the easier more famil-friendly one. Superbowl and Butterfly have been spared. They are still closed at the moment though.

Theyre also taking donations for the rebuild of Coondoo if anyone’s keen.

https://www.scum.asn.au/

Mogo trails were similarly XC oriented but I haven’t been in a few years and I’m not sure how things are following the fires. I’d guess not ideal.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where are you sea changing from?
There is not a lot of MTB there. I checked out some trails at kings point and they were sandy moto tracks.
I have not ridden the new official stuff yet and only heard is is pretty flat and lots of pedaling.
I did like mogo dam ok a Hard tail but not enough to want it to be my local.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Where are you sea changing from?
There is not a lot of MTB there. I checked out some trails at kings point and they were sandy moto tracks.
I have not ridden the new official stuff yet and only heard is is pretty flat and lots of pedaling.
I did like mogo dam ok a Hard tail but not enough to want it to be my local.
Oh dear - I was hoping Kings Point was some sort of guerilla trail as I read it was good many years ago
I'm moving from the upper blue mountains
Nothing official up here but a group of dedicated builders see enough about to keep us entertained
I was king of hoping for the same down there :-(

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
I am in Jervis Bay and there is not much except for fire trails here. Some of them are badly maintained enough to be interesting. I ride the SCUM trails near Nowra sometimes but they are not very challenging if that's what you are after. There is also the funnel Web out the back of Wandandian. I haven't been there yet so I can't comment on it but the fires went through there and it could be in need of repair.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Wollongong/the Illawarra has it all. Plenty of very good gravity riding and great beaches. Within 20 minutes I have many hours of riding including quite a few proper challenging descents that suit enduro bikes. Elevation is around 250-300m so about as big descents as you will find outside of the Aussie "Alps"/Tassie. Trails are not legal of course, but far from a secret.

There is good surfing, snorkeling and diving. Last weekend I went riding one day and snorkeling with grey nurse sharks the next. They were both done within 20 mins from home.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wollongong/the Illawarra has it all. Plenty of very good gravity riding and great beaches. Within 20 minutes I have many hours of riding including quite a few proper challenging descents that suit enduro bikes. Elevation is around 250-300m so about as big descents as you will find outside of the Aussie "Alps"/Tassie. Trails are not legal of course, but far from a secret.

There is good surfing, snorkeling and diving. Last weekend I
This! and the trails will be legal one day.

There is also Green Valleys for big jumps too.

The gong does not have that sleepy coastal town feel if that is the sea change desire.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Most likely stick around Ulladulla way so this all sounds slightly upsetting. Before the fires on one of the FB pages I read that the Shoalhaven/Mogo area had been approved for some great mtb tourist desto thing linking up with existing trails. Did I dream that or is it just a real dream.
I had to help build my own trail up here but that was 11 years ago so not quite as able to put in the long hours
But even some committed riders to get on the tools with would do.
I found a 10 year old post on nobmob raving about the Kings Point trails. Are they salvageable?