Mtb prices gone stupid: The Renovation, Planning Permission & Fkn Tradies (and climate change and dog breeding ethics, +greyhound appreciation) Thread

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Agree 100% - especially manufacturing. No idea why the former Holden site hasn't been used yet, most of the tooling is still sitting there apparently.
Walkinshaw responsible for creating Holdens HSV's (now GMSV) are now doing the new sporty Amarok W580, Colorado 550 and RHD conversions with a Walkinshaw bling pack for Chevy Silverados, Corvette, Camaros, Dodge Rams ect...

Even had to take on 25 extra staff.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Walkinshaw responsible for creating Holdens HSV's (now GMSV) are now doing the new sporty Amarok W580, Colorado 550 and RHD conversions with a Walkinshaw bling pack for Chevy Silverados, Corvette, Camaros, Dodge Rams ect...

Even had to take on 25 extra staff.
They've impressive new premises, new last year.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just to keep this off topic ....

Dog prices are nuts at the moment. Since our last dog passed early 2020 I've been browsing casually for a new dog for around 9 months to the point where $4k for a purebred from a reputable breeder seems sort of reasonable. Ready to commit now but holy shit balls $$$$

Some monstrosity of a breed (long haired pug or something) was being sold for $8,500 per dog o_O Even mongrels are being advertised for up to a grand.
If you are in Melbourne /Vic - reach out - there are always rescue pups / dogs that need some loving and you may end up with another “furever friend “

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That site must have some manufacturing history (or what's left of it) - HSV, Nissan, Volkswagen, Volvo maybe?
I am not sure, I was told. HSV/ASV are in Melbourne suburbs (Carleton, Clayton?) not the Holden facility. I have been meaning to have a look around but llamas haven't aligned.

moorey

call me Mia
We've always adopted greyhounds after their racing life is over, gentle, lovely, big doofus dogs that just want to be part of the family.
Our current girl costs us $100... Desexed, chipped and she's never had a accident inside.
Same story with our whippet...sort of...we knew we wanted one but we’re committed to a rescue dog and left our name at the pound for one. Took a while, but eventually one came up for rehoming. Perfect dog for us, loyal and catlike, but we used to be able to take her on 20-30km trail rides at full gas. She’s 13+ now, and sleeps 95% of the time, but still gets the ‘zoomies’ for short bursts most days.
Love what the rescue greyhound people do. Beautiful dogs that were often treated like shite, but the recover well.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If you are in Melbourne /Vic - reach out - there are always rescue pups / dogs that need some loving and you may end up with another “furever friend “
Brissie dude. I’ve been looking @HamboCairns style at lots of dogs, including giveaways and rescue and a few nice looking not too old dogs come up but most of them are breeds (or part breeds) that I’m either not interested in or wouldn’t trust around the kids.

Plus with the kids being 5 and 8 this year I really want a puppy or young dog that can grow up familiar with them.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Same story with our whippet...sort of...we knew we wanted one but we’re committed to a rescue dog and left our name at the pound for one. Took a while, but eventually one came up for rehoming. Perfect dog for us, loyal and catlike, but we used to be able to take her on 20-30km trail rides at full gas. She’s 13+ now, and sleeps 95% of the time, but still gets the ‘zoomies’ for short bursts most days.
Love what the rescue greyhound people do. Beautiful dogs that were often treated like shite, but the recover well.
The zoomies are hilarious. One of our rescue pups is half Italian greyhound and cuts laps up and down the hallway like a speed demon. Then suddenly stops for the drink and done - nap time.

moorey

call me Mia
The zoomies are hilarious. One of our rescue pups is half Italian greyhound and cuts laps up and down the hallway like a speed demon. Then suddenly stops for the drink and done - nap time.
We didn’t let ours off the lead for a fortnight when we first got her (bush block, no fences). Finally let her off, and she took off away from up at 60kph, then turned, raced at us, straight past, then just cut ever increasing circles for 30 minutes, dirt and roost flying everywhere...then just trotted up to us, wagging her tail, then went to lay in bed. Has never run away. Still does the zoomies both inside and out, sometimes still jumping 15f up 2 sets of steps in a bound then grins at us. She knows we love it.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I think our Greyhound cost me more in petrol getting to and from Seymour to get him than he was himself.

He's a big clumsy boy that was with a trainer but never raced.

Funny you mention the floors @Elbo we've got the hardwood at home and every now and then he just refuses to walk on it. Give him 2 minutes and he's good to go again, it's very strange.

He'll also bound down the 1.2m retaining wall and occasionally up the flight of stairs for it as well.

The inside stairs are hardwood and he won't go up more than 2 of them, which suits the wife.

So cute when he's playing with the teddies. :p

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
My Big Boi, mid bark..... Best Rescue Ever.

His head stands level with my hip and he loved chasing his flat basketball hoiked as far as I could throw it. The sight of him at full sprint across the yard was amazing. Unfortunately his chase instinct extended to Mrs George's chickens and when he started climbing 9ft fences to get to them, we had to find him a new home.

That photo was before he was diagnosed with Addison's Disease, we put another 10kg on him, and I've heard he's even more robust now.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Funny you mention the floors @Elbo we've got the hardwood at home and every now and then he just refuses to walk on it. Give him 2 minutes and he's good to go again, it's very strange.
It must be a thing, as I've heard others with the same issues. We have hardwood floors through the whole house and it's the 90 degree turn from the sunroom into the dining room that has caused him to come unstuck a few times. He needs a clear run, otherwise his claws come out as he corners and he ends up skidding and freaking himself out more in what becomes a vicious cycle of dog vs floor. On the plus side, it also means he never goes in the kitchen, which is a bonus for a close to bench-surfing height dog. Our previous greyhound was a big boy at 40kg and I once made the mistake of leaving some croissants to cool on top of the stove. He ate all 3 before I realised my mistake.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It must be a thing, as I've heard others with the same issues. We have hardwood floors through the whole house and it's the 90 degree turn from the sunroom into the dining room that has caused him to come unstuck a few times. He needs a clear run, otherwise his claws come out as he corners and he ends up skidding and freaking himself out more in what becomes a vicious cycle of dog vs floor.
One of my mates trained the family Cavalier spaniel to get aggressive with her cornering on floorboards, she soon realised whenever she did it she'd get huge cheers / applause / attention so it became a game to do full sprints followed by turning and massive scrabbling dog drifts / powerslides. It was awesome.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
One of my mates trained the family Cavalier spaniel to get aggressive with her cornering on floorboards, she soon realised whenever she did it she'd get huge cheers / applause / attention so it became a game to do full sprints followed by turning and massive scrabbling dog drifts / powerslides. It was awesome.
Assume this was a rental house?