MTB shoes

I prefer the following characteristics in an MTB shoe

• When clipped I want max stiffness for power transmission and improved platform on the pedals

• When clipped I want more stiffness then a flat shoe, but I’m not a roadie.

• When on flats I prefer stiffness to grip, but grip is still important. Walking is for whimps

• When on Flats I prefer max grip, but prefer to be able to walk when not pedalling.

• When on Flats I want max grip and moderate stiffness. Goldilocks

• I don’t wear shoes, the leather soles of my feet grip nice

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
For the various types of riding that you do ... what is it you are looking for in a shoe?

Eg for When I’m clipped in ... I’m not looking for an ultra stiff plank ... but I want slightly more stiffness for power transmission vs when not clipped ... to hold me up off the Pedals. This is about 10% of my riding, maybe a bit less.

For Flats ... trail to Enduro I’m not overly picky. I can ride in skate shoes and prefer less grip / less stiffness so I can move my feet. This is about 80% of my riding. I rarely lose my feet or get bounced off pedals.

For Flats ... pure descending / bigger hucks ... I want max grip moderate stiffness ... this is about 10% of my riding.
Typically I don’t have problems losing my feet and don’t like not being able to reposition my feet on the pins

What shoes have you tried? What’s your gold standard?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
CX, gravel, commuting, races/events, XC style shoes are a must, they're light and spin nicely. Currently on my second pair of Pearl Izumi X-Project 1.0's, these shoes bend when you walk in them but have a full carbon sole.

AM spd shoes, airy, light'ish, easy to put on and wear loose if needed. 5:10's were too heavy and hot, sold after about 10 rides, Spech 2FO's were not comfortable at all, still got them here. ION Rascals hit the spot, they are a really comfortable shoe and feel alright when pedalling... AM style shoes are not going to be light to the level of XC shoes.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Keep it short n' sweet. My Giro Terraduros are the most comfy MTB shoes I've had.
Whereas my Giro Carbides are one of the worst I've used. The sole plate stops in front of my heel (horrible for XC), and the last buckle sits right on top of my big toe joint, putting pressure on a nerve. They're the first pair I'm looking to dispose of before they're worn out.

They're a few generations old now, but Shimano M240s were the best I've ever owned.

If anyone knows the current equivalent, I'm all ears

Hools

Likes Dirt
Keep it short n' sweet. My Giro Terraduros are the most comfy MTB shoes I've had.
+1. They’re a bit heavy, but very comfy, no discomfort on long rides and also easy to walk in if need be. They’re tough too, I’ve smashed my feet into a few rocks with no damage done.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went back to flats maybe two years ago (after approx 8 years clipped in). Took a fair while to adjust but now I am happy just to ride flats. Shoes of choice are Five Ten Freeriders - Super grippy - not too stiff - lightweight. Cheers :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Whereas my Giro Carbides are one of the worst I've used. The sole plate stops in front of my heel (horrible for XC), and the last buckle sits right on top of my big toe joint, putting pressure on a nerve.
I haven't had many XCish shoes that are comfortable. They all look pretty rigid and feel just like that too. The more casual looking Enduro shoes are the better option.

Shoes are one of those things where they work fine for one person but the next hates it. I hear you sir :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
+1. They’re a bit heavy, but very comfy, no discomfort on long rides and also easy to walk in if need be. They’re tough too, I’ve smashed my feet into a few rocks with no damage done.
Mine have lasted well too and I use them most rides. They are the first shoes I grab now.

I heard the earlier ones weren't too great and glue would come unstuck but the later model ones are a great effort.

moorey

call me Mia
For me, it’s non leather first, then the best I can find after that. My sombrio are great. Just bought some etnies, yet to try.
My old s/h Impacts are listed as ‘action leather’...which I assumed to be synthetic, but it isn’t.
Grip, with a medium stiffness sole for me.

LBS has some nice looking Spesh (shudder) flats I’m keen to try. 1/2 the weight of 5tens, so no sure of efficacy.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All very complicated but ever since i found the 5.10 spitfires fit my fat feet better than anything id tried before that became all i wore except old freeriders as a commuter shoe. Then they didnt release a new version this year of the spitfire so its freerider canvas as the casual shoe too. Bit stiffer than id like as a walking shoe.

Ths AM45s i used before i went back to flats were a good all rounder but very heavy.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
For me, it’s non leather first, then the best I can find after that. My sombrio are great. Just bought some etnies, yet to try..
just bought some etnies from mtb direct blk friyay sale, i tried on a mate 5/10 at gissy yesterday, shite they are wide and didn’t lace tight, i can’t see myself wearing them. sunbury has the 2fo spec 1.0 flat, not my size though

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
action leather
Yeah it's a kind of gross leather mâchè. All the off cuts group up and glued together.

PU leather might be your style being polyurethane. But who is to know what the source of the bonding agent is.

With the recent demise of a lot of pigs in China, I would've thought we'd see a surge in pig leather.

slowmick

38-39"
8 years in FiveTen Hellcats on DX clip pedals for everything. Like having two bricks strapped to your feet. comfortable to walk in, grippy and able to take a beating with rocks to the toes etc. They are falling apart, have almost warn through the soles from walking and the strap loops are now cable ties.
Spec 2FO arrived this morning in the mail. supposed to dry quicker, offer protection and weight half of the hellcats. Hope the feel nice. got them n the cyber Monday sale.
Bike shoes should look like actual shoes, not fairy slippers with bright colours, sparkles and shit.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most of all I want a mtb shoes that can also pass off as work shoes in the office. I once forgot shoes and wore my 510 Free riders in the office and it looked a bit silly. I hate wasting money on shoes for the office.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
For me, it’s non leather first, then the best I can find after that. My sombrio are great. Just bought some etnies, yet to try.
My old s/h Impacts are listed as ‘action leather’...which I assumed to be synthetic, but it isn’t.
Grip, with a medium stiffness sole for me.

LBS has some nice looking Spesh (shudder) flats I’m keen to try. 1/2 the weight of 5tens, so no sure of efficacy.
Is the non leather a moral thing or a practical, it ain’t practical in the wet thing?

@pink poodle if your feet ‘fold’ / wrap / semi curl ... over the edges of the pedals or if your shoe soles mold to the pedal ... is that a plus or a minus? For your preference? Ie the soles are grippy but relatively reflexible? Off bike walking is relatively comfy

I’m a bit like you I think, but I don’t want my soles flexing like a flip flop. I want a bit of stiffness and happy to have a bit of Frankenstein boots like plodding when walking.