MTB shoes

I prefer the following characteristics in an MTB shoe

• When clipped I want max stiffness for power transmission and improved platform on the pedals

• When clipped I want more stiffness then a flat shoe, but I’m not a roadie.

• When on flats I prefer stiffness to grip, but grip is still important. Walking is for whimps

• When on Flats I prefer max grip, but prefer to be able to walk when not pedalling.

• When on Flats I want max grip and moderate stiffness. Goldilocks

• I don’t wear shoes, the leather soles of my feet grip nice

Results are only viewable after voting.

teK--

Eats Squid
For whatever reason shoes keep getting narrower? What about duck footed people like me?

Tried freerider pro they are narrow af. Got a new pair of freerider but they are slightly narrower than my old pair.

Settled on Shimano gr7 the knobby tread at heel and toe is great for hiking, and sole is stiffer than the freerider so gives a decent platform to push against. The Michelin sole is slightly less grippy than Stealth rubbber. Nice wide toebox.

I find having a sole that is too grippy is actually bad as you can't easily reposition your foot slightly without completely lifting your foot off.

The shimanos are the Goldilocks for me !

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Medium sole stiffness for general trail riding.
Used to run Mavic shoes that were awesome in summer and great for walking in, but horrible in winter/water. The mesh exterior was tough, but also breathes well.

Now using Giro Terraduro Mid, they are comfy and have great coverage, I find them hot in warmer weather and they are a little too stiff when walking.

Thinking about trying something new this summer, either order Mavic XA Matryx from offshore or Shimano ME701.
Leaning towards the Mavic as I doubt the Shimano will breathe too well through summer with the fold over leather

Haakon

Keeps on digging
For whatever reason shoes keep getting narrower? What about duck footed people like me?

Tried freerider pro they are narrow af. Got a new pair of freerider but they are slightly narrower than my old pair.

Settled on Shimano gr7 the knobby tread at heel and toe is great for hiking, and sole is stiffer than the freerider so gives a decent platform to push against. The Michelin sole is slightly less grippy than Stealth rubbber. Nice wide toebox.

I find having a sole that is too grippy is actually bad as you can't easily reposition your foot slightly without completely lifting your foot off.

The shimanos are the Goldilocks for me !
I've got GR5 Shimano (non Michelin sole) and I like them. Shimano shoes have always fitted me best and are reliably consistent size wise so are a safe online buy. Never had any other flat pedal shoes to compare, but so far they've been comfy and grippy.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
For me, it’s non leather first, then the best I can find after that. My sombrio are great. Just bought some etnies, yet to try.
My old s/h Impacts are listed as ‘action leather’...which I assumed to be synthetic, but it isn’t.
Grip, with a medium stiffness sole for me.

LBS has some nice looking Spesh (shudder) flats I’m keen to try. 1/2 the weight of 5tens, so no sure of efficacy.
I use 510 Freerider Canvas shoes. They're not bad but dont keep your feet dry in the wet.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I'm looking at some new shoes now as well. Traditionally I've used the XC style shimano's for the super still sole (clipless) but they aren't the most comfortable.

have some old AM style shimano's as well which look cool but are a loose fit.

At the end of the day I'm just looking for something with a comfortable fit primarily and stole stiffness second.

teK--

Eats Squid
I've got GR5 Shimano (non Michelin sole) and I like them. Shimano shoes have always fitted me best and are reliably consistent size wise so are a safe online buy. Never had any other flat pedal shoes to compare, but so far they've been comfy and grippy.
Ive read the Shimano sole is a decent improvement over the gr5 sole. But without the crazy grip of stealth rubber which not everyone likes

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I'm looking at some new shoes now as well. Traditionally I've used the XC style shimano's for the super still sole (clipless) but they aren't the most comfortable.

have some old AM style shimano's as well which look cool but are a loose fit.
i have the previous version shimano am7, lightweight, not too stiff..the newer version is player, and has exposed laces

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Ive read the Shimano sole is a decent improvement over the gr5 sole. But without the crazy grip of stealth rubber which not everyone likes
You mean the michelin sole? Mine is a plain shimano sole, seems fine. Grippier is might be nice and I might have got the Michelin sole GR7 if i'd thought about it more - but these are a "not spend too much money on the flats experiment" purchases :) Havent slipped off yet but I am still super paranoid about all those screw ends waiting to open up my leg...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
you will like the Aftons then ... heavy discount on MTBD I believe.
The wrap around thing was the main reason we didnt end up there ... me personally I liked the feel of the Aftons ... but our more gravity focused riders wanted more stiffness.
Lucky I'm not into gravity riding!

Flexy soles can suck for guys with big feet particularly. It's no fun when your toes and heels are dragging on the ground in berms with the pedals and cranks flat!
And lucky I'm not very big either!