VIC MTB Trails Mt Waverley

Rotorfreeze

Likes Bikes
So I've been on the lookout for some decent local trails in the Monash area for a while. Today I decided i'd do some exploring close to home, so rather than my usual after work ride on the paved Scotchmans Creek trail I decided to go off road. I managed an 8km loop (estimated) with only about 1km requiring me to ride on paved surfaces. Theres actually quite a bit of decent singletrack to be found and I was very impressed with the potential of the area. Starting at Nara Pre School there is an entrance down to Tunnel reserve with a short 3-400m downhill section the leads to a couple of linked firetrails. These fretrails will take you to Forster Rd where you can cross then jump back onto Scotchmans Creek trail. Back on Scotchmans Creek trail I rode to Valley Reserve where theres a bit of single/double/firetrail (watch out for the old folk here). From Valley Reserve I headed for the Melbourne Water Retarding Basin. It is hard to find but upon riding up past the small concrete weir there is some very decent singletrack to the right if the paved path (easy to miss). In fact there is single track running right around the basin which has a lot of promise as a short xc loop. Moving on from the retarding basin you can continue on firetrails running parallel to Scotchmans Creek until you reach Holmesglen Tafe on Waverley Rd in Glen Waverley. All told I had a great time riding the trails and will defo be riding the area again. The reason I post this hear is because I think this whole area has a lot of promise and I don't think the council would be too perturbed by cyclists adding and improving a few paths in the area. I'm going to do another run tomorrow and will post a map if anyone is interested including a few nice but short offshoot paths I found but won't add now for the sake of brevity. I do however have to give a special mention to riding down the incredibly steep hill beside the weir at the retarding basin and the quick spin I took around Lakeview Court. Pls don't ride around Lakeview Court as it is private property (but soo much fun lol)

Last edited:

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Hey Rotorfreeze,
Map would be good. I think I know most of the loop. Scotchman's creek is only a couple blocks from my place. I'll be on the trail for my commute to and from work tomorrow so say hi if you see a guy on a 29er anthem.
cheers,
Gav

Rotorfreeze

Likes Bikes
Hey Rotorfreeze,
Map would be good. I think I know most of the loop. Scotchman's creek is only a couple blocks from my place. I'll be on the trail for my commute to and from work tomorrow so say hi if you see a guy on a 29er anthem.
cheers,
Gav
Cool man, I'll keep an eye out

Rotorfreeze

Likes Bikes
I think I underestimated the length. My GPS indicated about 12km today to from Sadie St to Waverley Rd and back. Didn't really enjoy the bit marked ''Grassy Section" for the obvious reason that riding on grass sucks... Anyways behold my amazing cartography skillz: :frusty:

MtWaverley.jpg

Last edited:

fedor346

Likes Dirt
I think I underestimated the length. My GPS indicated about 12km today. Didn't really enjoy the bit marked ''Grassy Section" for the obvious reason that riding on grass sucks... Anyways behold my amazing cartography skillz: :frusty:

View attachment 302678
Looks good. I know the bits along the free way and I've seen the one that runs along side scotchmans - I'll check the others out sometime. You can also mark in a small loop through the wetlands that runs up to huntingdale rd as well - I use it to break up my commute ;-)
Thanks
Gav

Last edited:

Rotorfreeze

Likes Bikes
Looks good. I know the bits along the free way and I've seen the one that runs along side scotchmans - I'll check the others out sometime. You can also mark in a small loop through the wetlands that runs up to huntingdale rd as well - I use it to break up my commute ;-)
Thanks
Gav
Yep I know the trails you speak of. Riding from there to connect up to the mapped route you would need to either ride through the middle tunnel at Tunnel Reserve or ride up Stanley Av which will take you to the top of the first downhill section at the end of Sadie St which you would otherwise bypass if riding through the tunnel. Lots of good riding to be found. I'm thinking I might carve out a couple of offshoots and maybe the odd drop/jump beside the first set of firetrails at tge bottom of the first diwnhill section. Don't see many people down there so hopefully won't get told off...

Last edited:

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Yep I know the trails you speak of. Riding from there to connect up to the mapped route you would need to either ride through the middle tunnel at Tunnel Reserve or ride up Stanley Av which will take you to the top of the first downhill section at the end of Sadie St which you would otherwise bypass if riding through the tunnel. Lots of good riding to be found. I'm thinking I might carve out a couple of offshoots and maybe the odd drop/jump beside the first set of firetrails at tge bottom of the first diwnhill section. Don't see many people down there so hopefully won't get told off...
Just keep in mind that they are titled as council access paths - I have seen a 4wd go through the whole thing a couple times - not sure what for though. It might be worth seeing if something can be done through the council - rather than do it and hope you don't get in trouble for it.
A lot of people walk their dogs and I've seen the occasional jogger through there as well. I haven't been game enough to go full tilt through there - just don't want to hit anyone. At least at Lysty - trails are marked so people have warning at least.

cheers

Rotorfreeze

Likes Bikes
Just keep in mind that they are titled as council access paths - I have seen a 4wd go through the whole thing a couple times - not sure what for though. It might be worth seeing if something can be done through the council - rather than do it and hope you don't get in trouble for it.
A lot of people walk their dogs and I've seen the occasional jogger through there as well. I haven't been game enough to go full tilt through there - just don't want to hit anyone. At least at Lysty - trails are marked so people have warning at least.

cheers
Oh Fedor, I thought you were cool :/

Seriously though, all the paths mentioned are shared therefore cyclists have just as much right to be there as dog walkers. The good thing about all the tracks mentioned is that they all have excellent lines of sight which means no risk of hitting walkers as you will see them a mile away. Valley Reserve is the exception; best to take it slow there. Adding the odd bit of singletrack would further lessen the risk of hitting walkers. You are right in that much of the land is owned by the local council (and I believe some is owned by Vicroads). For this reason I would be a bit reluctant to build any singletrack but on the same token I am not going to waste my time approaching the council/Vicroads in regards to building singletrack as we both no this would be a fruitless effort. Just my 2bob
Cheers
RF

ItonezI

Squid
Thanks for this post Rotorfreeze!

Had Monday off, so thought I'd check out the trails you mapped out, and I must say I was pretty impressed with the singletrack, especially given we're in the middle of suburbia. The 2 downhills were pretty fun, and I didn't really see many walkers around in the arvo. Will definitely be hitting them up again :clap2: