MTB vs Motorcycle prices

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Rockshox specifies 50 hour service intervals. Can you imagine rebuilding shocks all the time on motos?

I don't buy the precision argument. It's not that precise and it doesn't cost that much. Add to this the bicycle has virtually zero compliance, testing, administration and registration requirements compared to a moto.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Rockshox specifies 50 hour service intervals. Can you imagine rebuilding shocks all the time on motos?
There's quite a service list for the forks.
1697514526434.png

I don't buy the precision argument. It's not that precise and it doesn't cost that much. Add to this the bicycle has virtually zero compliance, testing, administration and registration requirements compared to a moto.
I disagree, the high pressure die casting for components like fork legs, brake calipers and master cylinders needs to be very precise and is a lot more expensive that the low pressure casting use the same motorcycle components.

With high end bicycle parts you are essentially needing the equivalent parts on motorcycle to perform the same function with a fraction of the size and weight. This adds cost no matter how you look at it. Again, hand laid carbon fibre frames in several different sizes that change every two or three years. The tooling for that costs a fortune.
The cost of a high end MTB is a combination of low volume manufacturing, expensive manufacturing process, less inhouse product (ie brakes and drivetrain and often wheels and dropper post are sourced from another supplier who also makes a cut out of the profits), bigger cut to dealers and a much smaller market to sell to.

Attachments

Calvin27

Eats Squid
With high end bicycle parts you are essentially needing the equivalent parts on motorcycle to perform the same function with a fraction of the size and weight.
Disagree there. The loading on the mtb (emtb) is way less so it scales with weight to some extent. Also the manufactur cost is only a small part of it. Yes slightly more precision and advanced manufacture for the mtb, but this is more than offset by more materials, packaging and transport and logistics, storage and inventory (MTB suppliers have no legal requirement to carry stock of replacement componentry at all).

I'd add to this that most high end mtbs are not even that high end and customised. Maybe they have a closed mould carbon and everything else is available retail. Compare this to an equivalent moto and yeah you are pretty much ordering any spare part from the manufacturer.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Disagree there. The loading on the mtb (emtb) is way less so it scales with weight to some extent. Also the manufactur cost is only a small part of it. Yes slightly more precision and advanced manufacture for the mtb, but this is more than offset by more materials, packaging and transport and logistics, storage and inventory (MTB suppliers have no legal requirement to carry stock of replacement componentry at all).

I'd add to this that most high end mtbs are not even that high end and customised. Maybe they have a closed mould carbon and everything else is available retail. Compare this to an equivalent moto and yeah you are pretty much ordering any spare part from the manufacturer.
And as I said before, because parts like the brakes, drivetrain and often wheels and dropper post are sourced from another supplier who also makes a profit on these parts and this gets passed onto the consumer. When you have most of the components built in house like most motorcycle manufacturers, (and they can, because again, volume) this cuts the cost considerably.

Then comes spare parts. Motorcycle companies (like car companies) make a big portion of income from spare part sales. With most MTB companies, all the consumable spares are from you parts suppliers, so you need almost all your income to come from that one initial bike sale.

Last edited: