MTB Wear - Lycra vs. Other

TonyMax

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget
From another thread:

Did you buy Lycra and embrace your inner roadie?
I started as a roadie three or four years ago. Most of the time I wear Lycra. So when I started MTBing this year I just put the Lycra on to ride a bike like I always do. The "chamois" is probably making 2.5 hour rides more comfortable on my arse for the portion that I'm seated.

What's the other options more commonly worn for mountain biking and why?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
All depends on your shape.
If you are lithe and athletic= exhibitionist lycra is OK.
For the rest of us who are poorly proportioned we prefer baggy shorts .

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Lycra underneath for the comfort with #endooro baggies over the top to hide the shame :spy:

Ideate

Because it looks fucking gay. Not homosexual gay but too happy gay. I hate people that are too happy. Especially when you can see their johnson camel is so much bigger than yours.

moorey

call me Mia
Because it looks fucking gay. Not homosexual gay but too happy gay. I hate people that are too happy. Especially when you can see their johnson camel is so much bigger than yours.
Speaking of, what is the codified uniform for ebikes?

Ideate

So, like a baby in a park being pushed by a dad needing a shit, or like a baby in a pram being pushed by a mum in active wear, late for boot camp?
Mmmm.. Active wear booty. Yum.

And this is why men shouldn't wear Lycra.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Call it lycra or whatever, there is some very good "lycra" jerseys out there, mostly road orientated with technologies such as temperature dropping material, cooling panels, sweat channeling, zero friction ect ect ect...

None of this stuff comes on MTB gear coz we are too hard for that pussy shit.

I wear full bike kit "lycra" on my roadie and CX, maybe sometimes on my SS if im solo. Usually these days on the MTBs I wear baggies with chamois shorts below, which is a big change from full bike kit for a few years there. Ive even bought a couple of AM/trail style jerseys when I ride with my boys as I carry food, spares, first aid kit and extra water for us all, so a camelbak is well packed.

Still cant go without the 3 pockets in the back of a "lycra" bike jersey when riding anywhere but with my 2 boys... Those jerseys are the best when you can fit a bottle on your bike, spares in your back pockets and the feeling of being free with with no backpack. Even re-birthed a set of white Shimano DX shoes and have been wearing them too.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Ballarat winter. Always shorts. 34"...
Trentham weather. ALways shorts...minus 3.8 a couple of wks ago riding thru iced over puddles was fresh

I also came from the road -most of my XCo friends still insist on lycra [like it helps their times]..i get shit for wearing shorts & not shaving my legs

i have made the move to shorts though, i buy the ones with the short liner, at present i have both fox, TLD & a pair of dakine. i think the dakine came without a liner bit i found a sperate one online. they are all comfortable, the fox are 12" short shorts, the dakine are knee length [im 185cm]

other option is buy shorts & wear your lycra underneath. i do have a pair of water repelent half lycra half soft shell knicks i use often in winter when it gets cold -they are basically windproof & therefore warmer

John U

MTB Precision
Wear what you're comfortable wearing. Both work. Baggies can be a bit warmer and may occasionally get snagged on the seat. Quality variations based on price will occur with both.

I used to only wear Lycra. I have gradually moved to mostly wearing baggies (from Ground Effect s)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Am I the only one who doesn't wear bibs or padded stuff on shorter (less than 2 hr rides)? I find most of the time I am grinding off saddle or off saddle navigationg choppy stuff anyway.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Lycra and knee pads looks bloody ridiculous. Lycra and elbow pads looks even worse.

Lycra is going to do fuck all to prevent gravel rash when you wash out.

Walking into a pub after a ride for a post ride beer in your shorts and 5-10s is way more acceptable than prancing around in your skin tights.