MTBA committee elections

akashra

Eats Squid
haha, love it Norm :)

So basically:
Candidate #1: I've done X, Y and Z.
Candidate #2: This is rubbish. We need someone who can do X, Y and Z.

Knut

Troll hunter
Names of the accused

So if we can't see it on the MTBA site, can we see who the list of nominees are on this thread?

serowe

Likes Dirt
Well unless you are a member of MTBA you have no say in who, what or how MTBA does its business let alone being able to vote for who does what......
Just like any other incorporated organisation.
Actually - read the MTBA constitution - you do NOT have to me a member of MTBA to be nominated for a committee or executive position - only the people nominating and seconding that person has to be (rules 12 and 13) - but anyone appointed because of a vacnacy has to be a member (ridiulous but confirmed by an MTBA exec. member in the past month). The MTBA constitution is 'not quite right' and has a number of holes you could drive an army tank through!

But then you have the (legally??) ridiculous situation where the nomination forms are incorrectly stating the nominee must be an MTBA member...now, weren't the original nominations turfed/voided because the AGM meeting advice was not correctly worded??

Knut

Troll hunter
Nothing surprises me anymore

Yes this AGM has been one of the worst events I have ever witnessed. Imagine if a club didn't post results the night of a State race. Imagine if we said you can only do three hours, yet our friends could do four and still their laps count. Imagine if we only sent the details of an event to half of our members. What would MTBA have to say if that was a National round?

Time for some rapid realignment to the direction of the most important meeting of the year. To why this AGM has been so poorly managed, let's fix it now and make sure the same mistakes are not made for the fourth time running. The new committee has a job on their hands. Let's get behind them to remove the problems and go forward.

LeeD

Likes Dirt
Change!

Ok so we have the AGM set and there will be a new committee!
will this change anything?
Will this change the way this organisation is run?
Will this change the awful lack of transparency?
Will the EO be held accountable and who does he answer to anyway?

Any body got any answers?

rrace

Squid
Committee qualification

Actually - read the MTBA constitution - you do NOT have to me a member of MTBA to be nominated for a committee or executive position - only the people nominating and seconding that person has to be (rules 12 and 13) - but anyone appointed because of a vacnacy has to be a member (ridiulous but confirmed by an MTBA exec. member in the past month). The MTBA constitution is 'not quite right' and has a number of holes you could drive an army tank through!

But then you have the (legally??) ridiculous situation where the nomination forms are incorrectly stating the nominee must be an MTBA member...now, weren't the original nominations turfed/voided because the AGM meeting advice was not correctly worded??

Well actually you do have to be a member of MTBA to be on the Committee - see 16(1)b, where if you cease to be a member, the position is automatically vacant. This follows the ACT Model Rules for Associations.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
This discussion is very similar to those about 10 or 12 years ago (all be it without forums) when MTBA was breaking away from CA. The issues seem to be (amongst others) Not servicing members, overpriced, what does it do for the average rider etc......
At the time I was against it both as a club member and later as a Cycling Queensland employee. My view has not really changed over the years. Whilst CA is far from perfect, I feel that it is better for most of us most of the time.

For the record I have nominated for the Qld Rep position (which in itself is much more difficult than it should be).

serowe

Likes Dirt
Well actually you do have to be a member of MTBA to be on the Committee - see 16(1)b, where if you cease to be a member, the position is automatically vacant. This follows the ACT Model Rules for Associations.
The problem with that is the wording - 'ceases to be a member' implies you are already a member but as there is no distinction or stipulation in the constitution requiring membership to be nominated and elected, the interpretation will be that it won't/can't apply (rule 16(1)(b) that is).

Not saying I agree or disagree with this as an issue but as I said, there are so many contradictions within the current constitution that even a Mini Minor can run holes through it :) My favourites are in the Act itself though - s69, 71, 72, 73 and 74 :)

Knut

Troll hunter
As well as three positions we know about, I would like to know why one person has also nominated for Trials Rep. Most importantly, how did he find out that the position was vacant?

Last edited:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
As well as three positions we know about, I would like to know why Ross Kroger has also nominated for Trials Rep. Most importantly, how did he find out that the position was vacant?
Has he?

Given the position has been vacant for the last few years, it would be a fair bet it would be left vacant again.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Except as long as there is one nomination it gets filled regardless of who that person is or what qualifications they have! I've seen this type of backdoor approach on other organisations - someone nominates for every position they can in the full knowledge that at least one of them won't have anyone else nominating - this gets them on to the committee despite the persons qualifications (or lack of). There are ways to deal with this type of person which I am sure the new MTBA committee/executive members will become aware of as they deal with him.

akashra

Eats Squid
Has he?

Given the position has been vacant for the last few years, it would be a fair bet it would be left vacant again.
Yeah, but at the previous round of nominations he didn't nominate for it. If he, or anyone, is going to nominate for Trials rep, you would think at would at least be someone who's been involved in the sport and knows it inside out. Otherwise I want Bud Selig's job.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Yeah, but at the previous round of nominations he didn't nominate for it. If he, or anyone, is going to nominate for Trials rep, you would think at would at least be someone who's been involved in the sport and knows it inside out. Otherwise I want Bud Selig's job.
I thought George Costanza had that job?

rrace

Squid
Who are ALL the nominations?

One item that we seem to be missing, and MTBA don't seem to want to tell us: Who nominated for what position (including those where only one person nominated)?

We know where there was more than one nomination due to a vote being held. But what about the other positions? Surely this is information which should be available, and could influence the way a member would vote?

If somebody has this info, then please post it.

Likewise, the Reports & Financials should be available to members before voting starts.

akashra

Eats Squid
Likewise, the Reports & Financials should be available to members before voting starts.
If you decide to email treasurer@mtba.asn.au, I would be interested to hear what response you receive.

And I totally agree that full list should be published ASAP. Actually it should have been published on Monday. How can you vote for one person without knowing who else they'll be working with when there's noone contesting those positions?
We already know one person has nominated for at least four positions - while okay, we do know it's not the case, without that being published how does Joe Average know he didn't also stand for VIC, XC, DH, 4X and OT rep as well?

Knut

Troll hunter
On the website it says that the list of nominees will be posted before voting starts. That was noon Saturday. What's the problem? This is just a little too suspicious for my liking. No wonder there are so many fed up members.

Last edited: