MTBA Committee Voting - Electronic voting now open

Oppy

Likes Dirt
2010 AGM - Voting
Nominations have now been received and hence closed.
As per the number of nominations received for each position, the only position open for voting at the time is that of:
PRESIDENT.
The following nominations have been received.

Russell Baker
Simon French

Voting is now open.
Please Vote for your choice

Position of President on the MTBA Executive Committee

Russell Baker

As current President, my main aims for 2011 are: Focus on the general membership of MTBA, the 95% of us who are not Elite, making MTBA more relevant to all mountain bikers. The High Performance funding, cancelled by CA in Dec 2009, has now been re-instated to develop Australian riders. Continue to be accessible to our members and potential members. I want everyone who owns a mountain bike in this country to seriously consider becoming an MTBA member. Modernise MTBA management to integrate with the Cycling Australia business model, providing members with better services and MTBA with more professional support.

Simon French

MTBA has made significant advancements over the past two years, particularly with the redevelopment of the National Series and the introduction of IMBA Australia. It is now time to consolidate these ventures and continue to develop new products and services that cater for the broader rider market. I believe the National Series is the pinnacle of our sport in Australia and should continue to be developed and supported by MTBA. I believe the National Series must be financially supported through the development of a range of new products and services that may include; an off-season marathon series, a stage race

Abstain

French v Baker anyone got any thoughts?

johndh

Likes Dirt
Not sure who is going to make up the other positions on the committee??

Vice President
none received

Secretary
none received

Treasurer*
Ross Kroger

CA Board Representative
none received

Public Officer
none received

XC Rider Representative*
Andrew Blair

DH Rider Representative
none received

4X Rider Representative
none received

Bicycle Trials Rider Representative
none received

ACT State/Territory Representative
none received

NSW State/Territory Representative
none received

Victoria State/Territory Representative
none received

Tasmania State/Territory Representative
none received

South Australia State/Territory Representative*
Evan James

Queensland State/Territory Representative*
Hayden Lester

Western Australia State/Territory Representative
none received

Northern Territory State/Territory Representative*
John Pyper

johndh

Likes Dirt
"MTBA has made significant advancements over the past two years, particularly with the redevelopment of the National Series"
Not sure the Enduro races as part of last years National Series was an "advancement" it certainly cost a lot to run and was a basically a "flop", for a range of reasons. Why will a Marathon series be any different?
The National series costs MTBA (that is all paid members and clubs a "fortune" to run and maintain) it has run at a significant increasing loss for the past 2 years, and yet the number of participants are getting smaller, and the MTBA Committee find it hard to get clubs or PP to host them.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Beechie

Banned
As pointed out heaps of opportunity to get on to the committee and make MTBA as you desire.

Last edited:

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Beechie,

Why do you always take such offense when anybody criticises the National Series?

On another note, why are there so few nominations? Do they come in late or are there just a lot of positions that never get filled?

I do wonder about MTBA though - I've been a member for 4 odd years and have been racing regularly for about the same and I still really don't know what they do. I only knew Russ was president cause I read about it on RB.

I think they need to fix their communication with members for starters. The stated intention to make all mountain bikers consider MTBA membership is a bit of a stretch when existing members (I don't think I'm alone in this) barely know what they're about.

.stu.

Likes Dirt
I have to agree about the communication issues. I've received something like 15 newsletters in the last 13 months and haven't read a single one. How am I supposed to know whats going on??!?

Seriously though, the newsletters do seem to focus on national series events. I'm more interested in the enduro/marathon - mass participation stuff so hopefully MTBA will continue to increase its involvement in this side of the sport and the newsletters will start to become more relevant for me.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
I have to agree about the communication issues. I've received something like 15 newsletters in the last 13 months and haven't read a single one. How am I supposed to know whats going on??!?
Quantity does not equal quality.

I'm not trying to bash up MTBA but I do think they have a lot of work to do to attract themselves to the punters.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Hi Beechie,
My comments are facts regarding MTBA (especailly the National series) and are responding to the bio of a president applicant and the lack of people nominating for positions. The lack of people willing to go onto the committee, further indicates the lack of confidence in them.

akashra

Eats Squid
John, lack of confidence in what? How can you have a lack of confidence in a committee that hasn't been decided or elected yet?

You and I know very well the reasons which have driven certain people previously on the committee past the point of exhaustion.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Could also be the same reason very few nominated for the committee?
John (Tim will probably have words with me over his reply but...)

Could it also be that those that could help MTBA see the constant disagreements between clubs and, instead of them working together, and despite agreeing to work together to a common aim, decide they will go their own way because 'they know best'?

Beechie

Banned
Half Full Glass

Positive words, participate and actively help are the tools I use to get what I want. At work, do I reckon that constantly criticising all the people who report to me will be seen as effective management and produce better results and happier better performing staff

Last edited:

serowe

Likes Dirt
Technically MTBA isn't a club, but that's a moot point.

What position are you standing for then? (and before you ask, I'm not an MTBA member, I don't ride and they don't have a category for photographers/media and the like).

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
This is as comical as my clubs committee, at least your comments don't get censored or removed completely like at MAD MTBC, The club Secretary last AGM didn't even put his position up for election , he just kept it...if you make a comment on a decision that he doesn't like he'll simply remove it from the forum, accountable to no-one, does and says what ever he likes and if you don't like it go f--k yourself, no democracy, 110 members of which only about 20 have actual experience, the softest track in Queensland, I can ride it with a can of soft drink in my hand. I quit the club and I spent over a year building the track (not designing it).
Guys you gotta take criticism, listen to the people, take it on board don't put your head in the sand people say stuff for a reason and no one wants to be labeled as a whinger and you'll find that most already have taken that into account BEFORE they have spoken out. When there is a problem be a professional and deal with it, not sack the messenger, theres nothing wrong with having something wrong, it's only wrong not to fix it.
I WANT MTB ON TV !! EVERY WEEK !! Why should I have to watch Lawn Bowls when MTB should be shown. Get some bloody cameras, like ten of them, a film/production crew and start filming all of the National rounds and big races/festivals, get some bloody exposure, Sports Tonight, channel 9 sunday sports, get some trials riders, Djers on like week night shows and blow everyone's minds, start promoting my sport better please, most Aussies wouldn't even know Sam Hill is World Champion, when in nearly every other sport if you're a WC the media of Australia jump all over ya. Look at Bradbury for lords sake, he's still on T.V and he's no where near as good a champion as Sam. Take a look at what surfing does and do the same for MTB.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Definition of ICONOCLAST
1: a person who destroys religious images or opposes their veneration
2: a person who attacks settled beliefs or institutions
— icon·o·clas·tic \(ˌ)ī-ˌkä-nə-ˈklas-tik\ adjective
— icon·o·clas·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
See iconoclast defined for English-language learners »
Examples of ICONOCLAST
<notorious as an iconoclast, that music critic isn't afraid to go after sacred cows>

Definition of DISENFRANCHISE
transitive verb
: to deprive of a franchise, of a legal right, or of some privilege or immunity; especially : to deprive of the right to vote

Neither of the above describe my responses to the national MTBA, want to read riders thoughts on MTBA havea look at http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?220355-MTBA-AGM-presidential-vote this indicates there is some disenchantment with MTBA at various levels.

I am a MTBA member and have been for 11 years, I am a passionate mtb rider, I am a mtb club member and president of a club for 11 years, I don't just help at the club events, I run 20+ club events each year, I have also run National, and state level events , I ride socially, I have not just helped build trails, I have build my own purpose built track used for events (not sure I'm great at it but I am learning), I have attended numerous MTBA AGM events over the past 11 years and missed only one of the past 11 MTBA national championships, I also coordinated the Victorian Enduro Series for 3 years (till 2009) and Yes I did stand for MTBA Vice Pres last year and didn't get in.

That aside my issues with MTBA are not with the committee, there are a number of people on the committee who I respect and have conversations with regarding MTB and where it is heading.
I agree with some of your comments
;"the committee is ....not attracting because its members are disenfranchised with committee leadership and achievement - these are surely of their own doing? Get up and get in I reckon. Resources limit achievement ........... that includes human resources .......... doh committee members. They don't grow on trees ya know......."

But it is "not of there own doing", as the MTBA committee employ staff to carry out tasks and run events and the operations of MTBA at a National level?
But if you talk to those who have not renominated for their positions you will get a different story about politics and conflict.
I believe there is a need for change and Russ Baker (as indicated in his bio) intends to ensure this happens.
Oh.. readers know who I am Beechie??
John Harvey
President Bendigo MTB Club