multiple D-locks with same key

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I'm after about 4 new D-Locks. I'd like them to be decent units - "sold secure silver" or better might give you a rough idea. EG, Kryponite Krypolok Series 2 / Evolution series 4, or Onguard Bulldog / PitBull, etc. (The New York or Brute locks are just too heavy to carry around.. I've tried!)

Here's the real issue: I'd like them to be keyed they same, so I don't need a pile of keys on my keyring. Perhaps one of the major brands will key them alike without too great a premium? Anyone got any recommendations?

cobba

Likes Dirt
Q & A from the Kryptonite website:

Can I get my locks keyed alike?

In some cases, yes. Kryptonite offers keyed-alike services for its New York Standard and LS U-Locks and Evolution Mini locks. Contact us by email for more details about this service and pricing.

Abus also do it too.
Q & A from the Abus website:

I would like to have several locks that can be operated with one key. Is that possible?

It is possible with the following ABUS locks: ABUS Nos. 46, 47, 51, 54, 61, 64, 885, 894, 895, 896, 1000, 1010, 1025, 1050, 1060 6000. These can be ordered in whatever quantity you wish from your dealer.

http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?ScreenLang=us&sid=573208034135433230620111221068253&select=0104b01&ArtikelGrID=1

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your local locksmith will be able to key them alike.. To be honest the lock cylinder type isnt the best on those types of locks.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the suggestions - my local locksmith sells Abus products, but cannot get keyed-alike D-Locks from their importer. They suggested that bike shops might be able to through their own (IE, a different) importer. They also sell the Burg Wachter stuff but not keyed alike.

Anyone with more info?

shakes

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the suggestions - my local locksmith sells Abus products, but cannot get keyed-alike D-Locks from their importer. They suggested that bike shops might be able to through their own (IE, a different) importer. They also sell the Burg Wachter stuff but not keyed alike.

Anyone with more info?
I've got an abus cable lock here, I just had a good look and its very possible to be able to split the body open and change the pins to set it to any key.

Might take a few goes but you should be able to find a quality locksmith that can do it ;)

0psi

Eats Squid
Give Velovita a call, they are the importer for Abus and should be able to give you a definate yes or no. You'll still have to order through your LBS but it will save you a lot of the run around. IMO Abus make some of the best locks out there, one of the guys from Velovita showed me a d-lock that came back for 'warranty'. All the plastic outer sections had been removed in an attempt to steal the bike, the locks internal mechanism was completely exposed but they still couldn't get through it.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
An email to Abus DE saw them put me in touch with Velovita, which was great. It looks like they can do it, but it's maybe $150 for a "sold secure silver" level lock from Abus (vs $50 from the likes of Onguard or Kryptonite) and then they're imported by sea from Germany so 3 months delivery time. I'm not sure I want to spend that much or wait that long..