Must have gear for female riders!!!

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
Thought i'd pass on some info on some new clothing/protection for women.

Have any of you checked out Loeka clothing?
here's some of their stuff Here

and the new rockgardn women's armor lineup is out that fits women better
Here
Yeh, pity the Rockgardn's armour looks like it would be too small for me. They only make it in a small or medium, and looking at their fit faq's, the small and medium have the same body length, and same arm length because apparently there's not much difference in a women's body (for those 2 lengths) for women that are height 5'2" to 5'10". Did they forget that some girls are TALLER THAN THAT! :mad: Anyway, it's good for the more petite girls who can't fit into the guys stuff...

That Loeka clothing looks really cool!!! Definately be checking that out..

* Kate

Squid
Eyy, :D

I'm just starting up riding DH, good to know other girls do ride and know and are sharing their knowledge about what wear fits best!

I'm looking into getting some body amour (figure that way i'll be invincable! :rolleyes: )

Just thought i'd say thanks for the good reading!

cool keep it up!

yakinAway

Likes Dirt
a bike mechanic I know described body armour the best its a sack that holds all th bits together on the way to the hospital.....:D brilliant

armour wont make you invincible Im walking proof of that but it stops a lot of the bruises and scrapes....

helmets on the other hand are a life saver get the best helemet you can afford, but remeber you have to be able to replace it if you crack it one...

have agood one ay

hi Kate...

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I just ordered my first set of elbow guards:
http://www.fortheriders.com/store/product.php?productid=142&cat=117&page=1
they should match my new black Troy Lee XC gloves nicely.

The 661 veggie knee guards I've got - well the verdict is still out on those - they haven't been 100% comfy on rides so I don't wear them all the time. Size wise I'm a medium in those, but they have a cutout behind the knee, and I find that seems to rub a bit by the end of the ride. If I put them on so that bit is sort of scrunched up it seems better. I dunno - thinking about how I could improve them or just get something better. (Could probably use knee/shins now that I'm riding flat pedals I guess).

What knee or knee/shin guards are working for others here?

And anyone had the Troy Lee elbow guards?

dilemma

girl+bike
Hey,

I got these Fox Launch shin/knee guards Having never worn guards before, I wasn't sure how they'd go or how they would feel riding, but they feel pretty good. They got a bit hot though hanging around in them for a whole day of racing. The elastic comes around your leg in a cross on the back which makes them feel pretty snug - get the feeling that they're not going anywhere!

The first time I rode in them, I wore long socks underneath cos I thought the elastic would be uncomfortable (haha Lizardskin might remember that! They were blue with silver stars on them). But they feel fine without the socks now (and I feel less like a bus driver!)

I have kinda short legs and I thought they might be too long, as they do come pretty far down the shin, but they're OK. I wouldn't want them to be any longer though.

I also got this Dainese armour and it's pretty easy to move around in and pretty well ventilated.

I kind of went for the whole hog first off and hopefully when I get better I'll be able to ride with smaller shinnies and less armour! But for now, I'm covering up!

(And I must admit, I do feel pretty invincible.... for now...:rolleyes: )

Last edited:

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
For knee/shins I've got some Roach/RaceFace FR shins/knees which are alright. I haven't stacked while wearing them though (*crosses fingers*) so I can't tell you if they can handle the heat or not! Though I did get them because almost every review and person that I spoke to about them said they stayed put and were pretty solid. I'm gonna get a set of TLD t-bones or 661 Kyle Strait pads soon for when I don't need the whole shabang.

For elbows, I have matching RaceFace FR pads. They're comfy and a lil hot, but you expect that!!

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
new gear peoples

troy lee d2 in black:D
troy lee xc gloves in pink:D :D
testing out 661 tomcat knee guards (as an alternatve for the t-bones and elbow guards):)

MTB-ChiK

Likes Dirt
I started downhilling on my 2" of travel GT bike, which I came off too many times resulting in various scars and the need for a real DH bike. I was wearing my rollerblading gear that consisted of basic knee & elbow guards for protection, and my XC helmet (by the way, never wear an XC helmet on an XC bike on a downhill track... unless you are very confident you won't fall off!) This was my protection up until I got my Ironhorse (nheyyy!), which also came with a full face Netti helmet, score! (even tho it was slightly too big) So, then I bought a pair of 661 bomber shorts from a shop in Melbourne (love 'em & so comfy) I was still using the basic knee & elbow guards - it took forever to find the gear I found on the net in bike shops in Melbourne & Adelaide to try on the stuff, and not much stock was carried in our LBS's. I tried on just about every make & model there was to find the most suitable gear for arms & legs. And do you think that was an easy process??!! Nooo! I found the only knee/shin guards that fitted comfortably on my legs were the Dainese 3x and I got them from Peter Stevens Motorcycles in Ringwood. For elbow guards I'm now using the 661 2x4's which are very comfy & have good movement.

Since riding a proper DH bike my riding got better in a short amount of time which was great! And I had been pretty lucky, with no crashes... that was until practicing for my first race in Mt Gambier I was familiarizing myself with a new track and tried out my new body armour in the process (661 Pressure Suit Pro) I dropped short of the road gap and landed full weight on my shoulder. I'm not sure if the armor helped or prevented breakage but I think I pulled ligaments or something since I still have this f$#% injury 7 weeks later :eek: IT SUCKS BALLS, I just wanna go ride down a hill & do jumps again, dammit!!

Anyway..... as a reference, here's a list of the gear that I wear, and I'll come back & edit it later with comments/problems on how comfy, durable or crap each item is (since some of the stuff I've only used a few times) :D

Gloves: 661 SX-1
Helmet: 661 Pro Bravo Carbon
Upper Body: 661 Pressure Suit Pro (medium, could've gone small - its a bit long in the arms)
Lower Body: 661 Padded Bomber Shorts (excellent, buy some if you fall on yer ass while practicing wheelies like me)
Elbow: 661 2x4's
Knee/Shin: Dainese 3x (excellent fit & movement but little side protection)

Hmmm, i think thats it for now....... Enjoy your riding!

Last edited:

MTB-ChiK

Likes Dirt
new gear peoples

troy lee d2 in black:D
troy lee xc gloves in pink:D :D
testing out 661 tomcat knee guards (as an alternatve for the t-bones and elbow guards):)
Ohh Ahh! Pink gloves Rox!
What about the Kyle Strait knees? They would have more side protection than the tomcats?

Troy Lee D2 , IN BLACK!........ ok now Im jealous, LOL

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
For knee/shins I've got some Roach/RaceFace FR shins/knees which are alright. I haven't stacked while wearing them though (*crosses fingers*) so I can't tell you if they can handle the heat or not! Though I did get them because almost every review and person that I spoke to about them said they stayed put and were pretty solid. I'm gonna get a set of TLD t-bones or 661 Kyle Strait pads soon for when I don't need the whole shabang.

For elbows, I have matching RaceFace FR pads. They're comfy and a lil hot, but you expect that!!
Are you riding again Nik? Hopefully your armis healing and you will be back riding soon.

If you have time during the days just call me and we can go for a ride. I'm not very good so you will have to be patient.

Take care and heal up well.

Maxine:D

Also love the rockgardn stuff, wish it came in blue though.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for your input everyone. I guess it's inevitable that I'll have to go trying some on! Since I don't have a LBS in town I may go for a look at the local moto shop - but they aren't likely to carry much range I don't think.
I made the decision to give up the 661 Veggies for something that's more comfortable - and maybe go for something more protective at the same time, lately I find myself slipping off the pedals a bit more often.

I was a medium in the 661 veggie pads - so would that be an indication that I'd be a medium or regular in knee/shins - or are they a bit different?

I haven't been stacking very often at all (haven't had a big one in ages) - but I figure basic armour is a good investment as I ride on my own pretty much 100% of the time.
I'm still a wuss when it comes to sizeable jumps - so working on that. I even brought a 2nd seat so I can stick the short seatpost in for mucking around and having a go out back.
Falling off around here isn't going to be pretty as anywhere not on the trail is usually full of bindis and goatheads!
I haven't found any downhill in the area - let alone what I would call a big hill.

yakinAway

Likes Dirt
figured I would procrastinate from studying a wee while longer and add my 2 cents...

how are we all this am?

thought Id follow the excellent example n list my gear too
Gloves: axo decends xxs size 6 I believe(cheap as chips n have outlasted my Xc ones n 661 gloves by miles n I got a free pair score:D )

Helmet: mmm brand new giro remedy carbon in S

Upper Body: 661 Pressure Suit XS (n still a wee bit big but we made some improvements)

Lower Body: N/A I ride with normal neti baggies

Elbow: N/A ride with armour or with nothing

Knee/Shin: 661, 4x4 ones I think (they dont say) in a S they dont come smaller except youths n they were no cop so adapted these too

Im too weeny for the sport Im sure... although I dont look it (wear too many clothes too cold here)

the womens armour maybe worth a peak at mmm nope its pink Im sorry the attraction has been munted....

anyways ciya all laters
YAK

Bethany

Likes Bikes
hey

i have those pink TLD gloves as well. Have had em for a while.. the colour is awesome, i love em!

I stacked off my bike a while back with my cx helmet on and hit my head on a rock below my helmet... needless to say my helmet didnt have a scratch on it but my head freakin hurt! And i ride by myself.. guess its a bit of a wake up call about getting a full-face.

I bought Dainese knee/shin guards which were okay comfort wise but i found that one of the straps at the back kept coming undone.. anyways thats just my whinge.

125PHIL

Likes Dirt
Eyy, :D

I'm just starting up riding DH, good to know other girls do ride and know and are sharing their knowledge about what wear fits best!

I'm looking into getting some body amour (figure that way i'll be invincable! :rolleyes: )

Just thought i'd say thanks for the good reading!

cool keep it up!
hey kate,
im not sure of any companys making ladies specific upper armour, because thw way gurls are built diferently to boys, they seem 2 sit wierd around the chest.
i know companys such as thor make like motocross roost guards for women specifically. Perhaps look into them

does any one else know of any armour that fits gurls who have a chest??

also kate i know your looking into a full face at the moment, there is a new model available in australia at the moment for rrp $129, and its an azonic fury, the matt black one looks the business!
http://www.trickbitz.com/news_images/OnealHelmetFury0039.jpg

and roxy, those troy lee pink gloves are hot! too bad there out of my size, i know im a boy, but i do like the pink riding gear.

cheers,
125PHIL

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
Are you riding again Nik? Hopefully your armis healing and you will be back riding soon.

If you have time during the days just call me and we can go for a ride. I'm not very good so you will have to be patient.
Yup I'm back on the bike! At least on the bike paths for the moment... It'll be 6 weeks this weekend, so technically I can do whatever I want and it shouldn't hurt it. I have *ALMOST* full range of motion in my elbow/wrist now, and today was the first time it didnt hurt when I tried to see how far my arm would go. So that's promising!!

I'm planning to go hit the dirt in a few weeks - maybe us girls in Syd can all go for a ride together to celebrate haha A nice and easy ride so I can ease back into it :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
Yup I'm back on the bike! At least on the bike paths for the moment... It'll be 6 weeks this weekend, so technically I can do whatever I want and it shouldn't hurt it. I have *ALMOST* full range of motion in my elbow/wrist now, and today was the first time it didnt hurt when I tried to see how far my arm would go. So that's promising!!

I'm planning to go hit the dirt in a few weeks - maybe us girls in Syd can all go for a ride together to celebrate haha A nice and easy ride so I can ease back into it :eek:

ps i realy like pink
now
AH HEM Roxy I do not! *smacks your pink gloved hand*

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey,

I got these Fox Launch shin/knee guards Having never worn guards before, I wasn't sure how they'd go or how they would feel riding, but they feel pretty good. They got a bit hot though hanging around in them for a whole day of racing. The elastic comes around your leg in a cross on the back which makes them feel pretty snug - get the feeling that they're not going anywhere!

The first time I rode in them, I wore long socks underneath cos I thought the elastic would be uncomfortable (haha Lizardskin might remember that! They were blue with silver stars on them). But they feel fine without the socks now (and I feel less like a bus driver!)

I have kinda short legs and I thought they might be too long, as they do come pretty far down the shin, but they're OK. I wouldn't want them to be any longer though.

I also got this Dainese armour and it's pretty easy to move around in and pretty well ventilated.

I kind of went for the whole hog first off and hopefully when I get better I'll be able to ride with smaller shinnies and less armour! But for now, I'm covering up!

(And I must admit, I do feel pretty invincible.... for now...:rolleyes: )
So in your opinion do you think the Launch Pads are relatively less bulky than others? I'm getting rid of the 661 veggie wraps and looking at these due to the shin protection as well. And they look like they would be cooler than the Race Face FR.

Do you reckon they pedal pretty well? It's probably overboard for trail riding but I don't really see too many other options - t-bones etc don't offer shin protection from the pedals.

dilemma

girl+bike
So in your opinion do you think the Launch Pads are relatively less bulky than others? I'm getting rid of the 661 veggie wraps and looking at these due to the shin protection as well. And they look like they would be cooler than the Race Face FR.

Do you reckon they pedal pretty well? It's probably overboard for trail riding but I don't really see too many other options - t-bones etc don't offer shin protection from the pedals.
Hey Pebble,
I'm not sure how the Launch pads compare in bulkiness to other pads - they're the first pads I've ever worn/owned.
I guess that they don't feel super bulky because they fit pretty snug.
I didn't have any issues with pedalling at all, and I thought I would having not worn pads before. I was surprised at how much movement there was.
I think the definite benefit is that they completely cover your whole shin.
Hope that helps you out a bit!
Cheers
emma