Must have gear for female riders!!!

dilemma

girl+bike
Goggle

Here's a question for you girls: goggles...

What is good? What fits well? What goggles do you use? What lenses (clear, amber etc) do you prefer?

I have a smallish face when it comes to fitting sunnies, swim goggles, glasses, etc so I would need to take that into account.

Over to you...

Any comments would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks girls, emma

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Emma - I was having doubts as to wether it's a bit overboard just for trail riding. You've put my mind at ease somewhat.

The foxes look bulkier than the Race Face ones but seem like they would be cooler and more comfy (strap system etc) so I'm leaning towards the Fox.

Pain is so quickly forgotten untill it happens again! So I'll just think of how much it hurts if you hit your shin and that would be enough encouragement to wear them! Perhaps it will be a courage boost at the same time:rolleyes:

I guess they would definitely not go underneath pants - on top only jobbies?

Oh goggles wise I don't wear them, my husband wears Scott goggles on his motorbike (road trail that he uses to commute to work on) in conjunction with a dirt style helmet (which are similar to mtb fullface ones). Anyway I've tried them on briefly. Seems to me like most designs would be pretty similar, some may be more comfortable than others and have better peripheral vision. Not sure if they come in different sizes. Anyway I know I'm not much help here, but if they all turn out to be the same I know Scott are meant to be pretty good and can be got for $40 - $60 from moto shops.

Cheers,

Kristina

peep

Likes Bikes
hey emma,

theres heaps of goggles out there now that are not too expensive and come in funky colors - including pink if thats your thing.
Oakleys, Utopia, Smith and Blur spring to mind (review on front page of farkin), and I think Fox have some coming out as well.

Probably most important thing to look at is the fit. Not a bad idea to take your full face into the shop and try the goggles on with it, especially if you are a bit smaller - some goggles and helmets might not go together.

Make sure the lens is decent quality and gives you good clear vision all around. Its great if you can replace the lenses as well, even if you are careful they get little scratches over time. In terms of lens color, I guess it depends where you ride - most tracks I ride are under trees at some point so colored lenses don't really work, especially on overcast days.

I have a hand-me-down pair of basic Oakley's which work fine. Hope this helps!

yakinAway

Likes Dirt
Im looking for goggles too tried on the Oakley ones but seen riding tops too .... so eadng in with the armour and helmet in tow after exams

leaning towards the Oakley MX o frames theres a womens one I saw in one of the british mags last year (whilst working in london) but not sure what they were called they were the oakleys though

I too am small so have issues with the same things... getting some next week so will let you know what I finally go with....

125PHIL

Likes Dirt
goggles

in oakleys there is the oakley o frames, these are a standard fit goggle, but for you dillema, and yakinaway with your 'smallish face' check out the O frame XS, which is a smaller version. available in a baby doll pink frame aswell

www.oakley.com.au

with branding, you cant really go wrong aswell longs as they have a good fit in your lid, and you are able to buy replacement lenses when u scratch up the one you got.

peep is right, the different lenses are for differnet conditions, with a standard clear you cant go wrong, but if u feel like getting a little tech, blues are usually good for all around (dull glare, and instensify the dull) but yellows are the devil unless its low light or overcast. ambers are also good for sunny conditions, but suffer in low light.
ive used pretty much every colour so i reckon stick with a clear, blue or a slight smoke tint.

125PHIL :)

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
well i have 2 pairs, scott moto ones in pink, iwht a light sensitive lens, works briliantly! and it fits ina d2!

and a set of blue proflexs-sat awkwardly, thre light sensitive lens sucks.

ive also owned smiths (he frames stretched and wouldnt hold the lens anymore)
and oakley a frames, these fogged up like all hell!

yakinAway

Likes Dirt
thanks phil

yeah it was the Oakley O frame XS i saw in mag last year should have picked a set up in the UK were cheap as chips

waiting to head in with the helmet n also for another pricing hmmm but I want them now... n no they will not be pink no way no how no can do

dilemma

girl+bike
Thanks for the advice girls. (and Phil)

I've ordered in a pair of Oakley MX googles from my LBS and I'll see how they fit, otherwise they just got in the new Fox ones so I'll try them at the same time as well. Maybe there's less involved in sorting out goggles than I thought!!
I'll let you know which ones I end up with and how they go
:)

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ended up ordering the fox launch pads, will let you know of first impressions and fit when I get them, for anyone that's interested.

Actually I'm glad as I twisted my knee last night - probably stretched and weakened ligaments now due to a prior bike related fall i had. Definitely a part of the body worth protecting!

dilemma

girl+bike
Hey Pebble, hope the pads are OK for ya!

I ended up getting the new Fox Main Pro goggles, in silver with clear lens. The Oakleys took too long to arrive and I'm impatient! :rolleyes:

The Fox ones seem pretty good, I'm trying them out on the weekend in Tassie so I'm sure I'll find out soon if they're OK!

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh hopefully they'll be here today or tomorrow.

Serviced my fork though and now have to figure out what I stuffed up before I can ride:eek: there is a clang that wasn't there before! Ooops. Anyway do it all again today & hopefully find the problem.

And yes I'm impatient like you - hence I just went ahead and ordered the fox pads. If I'd only known we'd be going away for the weekend in a couple of weeks I may have been able to try some on at a bike shop!

Hope your goggles fit like umm goggles should LOL. Let us know how you go.

EDIT: the fork is fixed and I'm loving the 130mm of travel.

Last edited:

yakinAway

Likes Dirt
I am patiently waiting till tomo apparently I m getting black scott goggles to match my helmet if they dont fit then I will be style oakleys instead

the guy tried to sell me pink yuck :eek: no way Hosea

mmm it now 24hrs till ride time n exams are over, uni is over n summer is here hills hills n more hills here we come

Ride hard
Take Care
YAK

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Must be funny when you're buying bike stuff & people just assume because youre a girl you want pink!

yakinAway

Likes Dirt
yep although most of the guys know me now n know that i seriously will go nuts if they offer me pink gear yuck

Bethany

Likes Bikes
okay so i went into a Moto shop today and had a look at goggles.
The guy in the shop was raving about Scotts. My boss raves about Dragon...
Does anyone have either?

And do you guys get mx goggles or snow goggles?