My bastardized bikes

Rik

logged out
Here's 2 bikes that I ride the most:
My Klein roadie
My DK General Lee

Righto, the Klein is a beautiful bike, I know we're all mtb'ers here, but too bad, I love it. I was given the frame by a triathlete who was going to throw it out, it's 13 years old, and was badly corroded from indoor trainer usage. I had the frame blasted+sprayed, the finish is nice and deep, better than most stock paint jobs. It's stiff as all buggery, and fairly light too. I threw some spare parts on, namely DuraAce cranks (which needed polishing) XTR rear/SRAM 9.0 front derailleurs, Syncros bars+seatpost...
It's perfect for street riding, really fast stiff and light, and cost me all of $200!

As for the DK, it's a monster...
I bought it as a 24" DJ bike, as soon as I got it, I installed those Mozo forks and a 26" front wheel which I stripped off my mtb hardtail, along with mtb bars and stem from the same donor bike. After flogging it for a bit, the rear wheel was nice and wobbly, so I laced a 26" rim onto the bmx hub, it fits in the rear end, albeit barely! This bike I bash about on around the streets, although my skill and fitness holds me back from going crazy on it. Next upgrade will be 3pce cranks (it really needs them), a 36t chainring and fat chain. Yes, the seat is a bit high, but I need to be able to pedal on it, as this gets me to and from tafe/train station/work etc.
I intend on losing a bit of weight, dropping the gear ratio again, throwing on some fat tyres and take it offroad, but for now it's my street thrash bike that is almost indestructable.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
nice work. my bro has a mosh (giant) method 3 star (24") that he has put phylos onto it.very strong. it has profile 3 peacr cranks.but he has a 39 front chain ring i reackon that it's to small.but that just me.

i think that your only going to be able to fit a very small semi slick in the back of that thing. but you can always look. my bro's only fits a 1.95" in the back and thats with the 24 wheel.

but nice work nun the less.

Rik

logged out
My knees are weak as hell (had 2 recons on the left), I'd like a 36/20, it'd be a nice combo for spinning, especially for offroad use. Right now it's 39/18 and I don't like it that much. As for tyres, there's not much space back there, but I don't mind sacrificing some rubber to the angle grinder gods if it means the tyre will fit :D Cheers for the feedback!

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
not a problem. just a sujestion but next time you stuff your back wheel. going back to 24" would give you more tyre seletion thats also depenting on the room out the back .and also make it strounger,cause it's smaller. it would also lower the bb back to a normaler hight cause with the forks and 2 26" wheel it's a far bit higer huh. but it's up to you. on a cruser i rather have 26" 24".

have fun.

Dicky

Punter God
jolly good show old chap...
that roadbike is indeed quite bitching, if i do say so myself...
cool to see the retro touch with the cromo tapered forks, syncros seatpost and ano blue skewers/levers/cages. nice one bro.

someone get a thread going with just pics of sillyfast commuter traffic slalom rigs. i would but i don't got any good pics....

Dicky

Punter God
and yeah, i'm up for the roadie as well, if you ever consider sellin it... i promise it'll go to a good home, commuting to my job in a bike shop every day... PLEASE? :D

hardtail free rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey dude im not sure but i think that ur stem is up side down??? or is it supost to be like that?

nice touch with the keg in the back ground too!!!!:p

Rik

logged out
Dicky said:
cool to see the retro touch
Cheers for the comments guys! :)
Those forks are actually aluminium, they came off Dad's old TVM, but they'd be about as old as the frame (10ish years or so). The brake levers are old-school DiaCompes, and I'm sure you'd love the stem that I just installed the other day, a Tioga cromo job :D most of those parts have either been pilfered from my brother or the shop, they don't see the value in old components, but there's nothing wrong with them and I love the old stuff :) I'm about to chuck a road derailleur and casette on it, only need a tight range of gears for city riding , and the wheels are about to die (gettin too much air for a roadie!) so I need a new set.

The DK needs some more work, it's starting to shit me a bit, it needs 3pce cranks ASAP, the bb is gone, and I have to get a 36t ring to make it more pedal-able, plus need to do something about the forks, they're too heavy and are performing really crap. :roll: and yeh, the stem is upsidedown, the front end is really damn high, which hopefully I'll solve with lower forks. I might get a set of rigids, see how they go, if it's no good then I can chuck 'em on the (partially built) zaskar and get it on the road again.

Ahhh, it's too easy to spend money :evil: