My bike diary

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I'm still waiting for some parts for the Cotic, which means I've had a lot of time to look at the frame. While I'm pretty sure nothing catastrophic will happen while riding it, I'm a bit disappointed in the build quality.
Ugh, that sucks. I had an Avanti KISS a few years ago from new and had similar misgivings while going over it initially (some welds looked a bit off, fork/headtube underside was completely unfinished and one of the badges wasn't even close to being aligned and then fell off). Absolutely nothing went wrong with it while I had it (hard when it's a rigid SS) but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Btw loving the thread. I come here when I feel I need to justify how many bikes I have.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ugh, that sucks. I had an Avanti KISS a few years ago from new and had similar misgivings while going over it initially (some welds looked a bit off, fork/headtube underside was completely unfinished and one of the badges wasn't even close to being aligned and then fell off). Absolutely nothing went wrong with it while I had it (hard when it's a rigid SS) but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Btw loving the thread. I come here when I feel I need to justify how many bikes I have.
Thanks. I sold the BMC ProMachine roadie to a mate last week so I'm down one. I might use that as an excuse to get a fat bike!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been doing a bit of part swapping.

The LG1+ chainguide came off the Evil and went onto the V10.

The Evil got the CSixx chainguide I bought off Greenie.

The Anthem SS got a Straitline bash ring.

I tried an E13 XCX seat tube mounted top guide on the Evil and the Anthem but it wouldn't fit properly on either. I probably just didn't try hard enough on the Evil. I'll see how it goes on the Cotic. I also had the big, white E13 bash ring on the Evil while I was waiting for the chainguide and it looked crap.

My wife managed to crack her front derailleur mount on the Giant OCR flat bar roadie this morning so a new one is on its way.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I finally received all the parts for the Cotic and with the crap weather have built it up today.

Frame: Cotic Solaris size small.
Fork: Manitou Marvel Pro 100mm.
Wheels: Shimano XT 785.
Brakes: Shimano M8000 XT, 7" front and 6" rear.
Cranks: Race Face Atlas cranks that I've had on a few bikes before.
Chainring: Hope narrow wide 32T.
Pedals: Time XC8 carbon.
Chain: Shimano XTR/Dura Ace.
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-42.
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT medium cage.
Front Tyre: WTB Trail Boss 2.4".
Rear Tyre: WTB Bronson 2.2". I had a 2.4" Trail Boss on the back too but the clearance at the chainstays was about 3mm.
Stem: Sunline V1 70mm. I might change it for a Renthal 50mm I have lying around.
Handlebars: Renthal Fatbar Lite 740mm
Grips: Oury lock-ons.
Shifter: Shimano XT running full length housing.
Seat Post: Thomson Masterpiece.
Seat: Selle Italia Maxflite Gel Flow
Headset: Hope
Headset Spacers: Straitline
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Saint because I like the extra thread length.
Bottle Cage: Lezyne aluminium but I have a spare Elite carbon thing lying around if the aluminium one isn't any good.

I managed to shorten the rear brake hose without needing to bleed it afterwards and the chainline looks pretty good. I could shorten the chain a little more but I'll see how it goes as is. It just needs a front mud guard and Garmin mount. The front end might need lowering too.

Riding it around the patio it feels huge. Not unmanageable but very tall. This is actually the first clutch derailleur that I've used. I have one on the Liteville but don't engage it and haven't had any problems due to the chainguide. The shifting feel is much stiffer on the M8000 stuff without the clutch engaged. The click for each shift was very definite and it didn't seem to get any harder to push the lever with the clutch on, which was good.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I picked up a Cannondale Fat Caad 1 yesterday. I forgot to buy pedals for it so I'll have to swap them off another bike on Sunday.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorted the gears out, straightened the bars, pumped the tyres to 10psi and fitted some pedals.

Stock except for the Time Aliums that are on there.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Played switcharoo with some parts between bikes.

The Renthal Fatbar 740mms went from the Giant Anthem singlespeed onto the Liteville. I also chucked some Ergon GE1 grips on there to try out. The Giant got the Easton Haven 710mm bars and glow in the dark Oury grips.

The same Renthal bars were on the Cotic Solaris 29er so they went to the Nicolai. I had to keep the Oury glow in the dark grips on the Nicolai because they were already cut to suit the shifter. The Cotic got the Answer ProTaper AM 720mm bars and Ergon GE 1 grips.

The fatbike got the SDG TiFly seat.

The Evil Sovereign got some new Time XC6 pedals in plasma yellow.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After a few rides on each I'm happy with the bar swaps. Each bike rides better than before.

I dropped the chain on the singlespeed Anthem yesterday so tried to make the E13 top chainguide fit again but without any success. I was able to take the MRP top guide from the Cotic and put it on the Anthem. I got the E13 guide fitted onto the Cotic so hopefully they work well.