My bike diary

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't realise it has been 4 months since ordering, but hopefully the new bike will be here before xmas.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Broke the Hope chainring on the 29er today. It cracked at one of the bolt mounts and I lost 2 chainring bolts and then ovalised the chainring. I'm not sure if the bolt came loose first and the movement caused the crack or a rock struck the chainring and cracked it, or if it was just faulty.

I was meant to have the new bike before Monday but that's not going to happen. I'll be receiving it without brakes and I'll grab a set of XTs from Phantom Cycles to get me running. I'm a bit annoyed with the 5 months wait, especially as the brakes I was waiting 3 months for were based on the recommendation of the frame distributor building the bike up and he told me at the end of October that pretty much everything was good to go. Just before Xmas I rang the brake distributor to find out what was going on with the brakes only to be told they've been waiting for payment from the frame distributor. The brake distributor said the latest version of the brakes were due in between Xmas and NYs and I should wait for those, so I agreed. They didn't come in! I've paid every invoice within a day of receiving it and it was paid in full by the end of October.

16th August - Made enquiries about the frame. Received invoice. Paid invoice.
18th August - Sent my proposed spec list with 2 options for brakes.
23rd August - Spec finalised. Invoice Received. Invoice paid.
10th October - Told the drivetrain components would be in within the next week and that was pretty much the last piece of the puzzle.
16th October - I found out about the Fox Float X2 recall and asked if my bike was affected.
17th October - I was told it was. I asked about fitting a DVO Topaz instead.
25th October - I was told the DVO Topaz and pretty much everything was good to go. Final invoice received. Final invoice paid.
5th January 2017 - I asked for the bike to be sent to Phantom Cycles without the brakes. Provided my details for a refund on the brakes.

Now I continue waiting. :pout:

Last edited:

clockworked

Like an orange
That sucks!

It's almost going to be bad-mouthing the manufacturer by the time you post up the complete bike!

"Awesome bike, shame the company couldn't organise a wombat race..."

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One thing that I don't get is I've been sent pictures of all of the parts sitting in a neat pile. I would have thought that a rolling bike would be easier to look after than a pile of parts. Then when I asked for the bike to be sent to Phantom Cycles without the brakes I was told it would be a complicated build. I am a bit confused by that given the amount of time they've had to plan it and already do it.

Around the 10th-25th October I was told that the XT shifters and rear derailleur weren't available so they've ordered XTR instead for no charge. That's a positive, and as i told them I'm sure I'll rip the rear derailleur off somehow early on. That's why I ordered XT originally.

I've bought a few odd bikes over the years but never had an experience like this.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nearly done.

Just need to charge the battery, swap the shift buttons around and put the frame skin stuff on.

Frane: Intense Recluse SL
Rear shock: DVO Topaz
Fork: DVO Diamond Boost 150mm
Wheels: Bouwmeester Tammar with DT 240 hubs
Tyres: Maxxis Minion 2.5" DHF WT front, Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.3" rear tubeless
Cranks: Shimano XT 36/26
Rear derailleur: Shimano XTR Di2
Front derailleur: Shimano XT Di2
Handlebars: Pro Tharsis Trail Di2
Stem: Pro Tharsis Trail 45
Grips: Ergon GE1
Seat: Ergon SME3
Seatpost KS Lev Integra
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-40
Brakes: Shimano XT (for now, something different on the way)
Shifters: Shimano XT Di2 front, XTR Di2 rear
Headset: Cane Creek 40
System display: Shimano XT Di2
Chain: Shimano XTR

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That is f***ing awesome, especially with 2.5 tyres!! Impressed the frame can clear that.

Did you just decide to go with DVO forks too once you swapped the X2 for a Topaz?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Nearly done.

Just need to charge the battery, swap the shift buttons around and put the frame skin stuff on.

Wheels: Bouwmeester Tammar with DT 240 hubs
Tyres: Maxxis Minion 2.5" DHF WT front, Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.5"rear tubeless
How are the Tamars? Got a god damn wheel boner going here...

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is f***ing awesome, especially with 2.5 tyres!! Impressed the frame can clear that.

Did you just decide to go with DVO forks too once you swapped the X2 for a Topaz?
Sorry, 2.5" is a stuff up. It's a 2.3" on the rear. It looks like there is plenty of space between the tyre and the stays, but not much left between the tyre and the lower link.

I had the DVO Diamond forks planned from the start. Once the X2 recall came out I asked about the Topaz. So far it has been an excellent choice. Plenty of adjustments and I'm still tinkering but it feels good.

How are the Tamars? Got a god damn wheel boner going here...
I've only had a couple of rides but they are nice. The graphics look good, not too loud. Being a lower rim profile they make the bike look less chunky overall, which I like. They feel nice and stiff, at least as stiff as my Enve wheels.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I've only had a couple of rides but they are nice. The graphics look good, not too loud. Being a lower rim profile they make the bike look less chunky overall, which I like. They feel nice and stiff, at least as stiff as my Enve wheels.
If I had the budget that wheelset would be destined for my next project above anything else. Keen to hear about more ride impressions over the coming months...

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
If I had the budget that wheelset would be destined for my next project above anything else. Keen to hear about more ride impressions over the coming months...
It's as if they were designed by Sam Kekovich. You know they make sense!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit of an update on the Recluse...

First ride and I hated it. I thought I'd made the wrong choice but I could tell it just wasn't set up quite right. Despite being a size larger, having a 25mm longer top tube and significantly longer reach than the 301, the Recluse felt really short. I rolled the bars forward a little, set the seat slightly further back and was good to go. The bike instantly felt much better. The rear suspension feel is different to the 301 horst link. I wouldn't say less active, but more stable. Being a 50mm longer wheelbase than the 301 it descends nicely, feeling more planted. The wider tyres obviously help there too. 175mm cranks are a bit different as I normally run 170mm but I'm used to it already. With the right sag set I haven't had any issues with pedal strikes. Climbing is good. The bike rides nicely on anything technical but it does wander a bit on fireroad climbs. Tight, twisty trails are good if they are a bit technical, but anything smooth and the bike feels like overkill. Probably because it is so it's good i can just pick another bike to ride on those types of trails. Cornering has taken me a little bit of time to get used to. The much slacker head angle and longer wheelbase don't seem to hinder it at all, I just have to get used to it. The bike changes direction through the turns without any issues. It pops off things easily and feels smooth when landing. It's not a bike to just sit on, it definitely feels better the more input I have into every aspect of the ride, cornering, pumping the trail, etc.

The DVO suspension is excellent. A little fiddling with air pressure in the fork and shock to get the sag right, slow the rebound down a little and it feels brilliant. I'm still going to try a volume reducer in the Topaz just to see how it feels. I'm not blowing through the travel so it'll just be an experiment. The DVO mud guard isn't very good. It's a bit shorter than a Mucky Nutz one and doesn't seem to stop as much dirt getting onto the fork seals.

There's not much to say about the wheels. I don't notice them when riding. No weird noises or anything. They do look amazing though. This is my first go with the Ergon SME3 seat and it is the same. It's not noticed when riding. I've definitely caught my shorts on it less than any other seat so that is a bonus.

The XT Di2 is brilliant and I'm happy I went with the 36/26 up front so i could run the 11-40 rear and have nicer spread in the last 4 gears. It feels much better than the 1x with the 11-42 on the 29er.

The last thing left is the brakes and they should be here soon. There's nothing wrong with the XTs on it but I wanted something special for this build because I think it will be my last bike purchase for a while.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The brakes arrived today for the Recluse. They look awesome. Hopefully they work just as well as they look.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh wow, I recently read a review on the Direttissima Trickstuff and they look like the beez kneez. Definitely no expense spared on this build!

Have a look at these, although it looks like the C41 is a different model, you get the idea.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/trickstuff-direttissima-brakes-review-2017.html
The C41 is the caliper model for the Direttissima. The Trickstuff logo is on the inside face of the caliper.

The lever shape feels similar to the old Altek levers i used to have.