My bike diary

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First ride report for the Pivot Firebird, based on one lap at Appin. I'm pretty familiar with the Appin loop and know how the Nomad goes out there so i figured it would be the perfect place to try out the Firebird.

Basically, it's better than the Nomad was.

I'm very happy with the build i got together. The 2.4" UST Conti Rubber Queen tyres worked very well in the slippery sandy conditions at 32psi. Not as much cornering grip as the Minions i'd say, but considering the lesser amount of weight i'm very happy with them. Rear end traction was excellent, in fact i don't think i lost traction once climbing anything. The Crossmax SX wheels felt just like the old ones except the rear hub is significantly louder. I didn't notice the quicker engagement and i'm hoping they hold up as well as my old ones because the rim has been lightened with some machining similar to the SLs.

I was a bit worried about how the forks would perform. I've always been a Marzocchi rider going back to the original Z1s, however the 2007 AM SL1s on Michelle's Devinci gave me reason to try something different on the Anthem (Rebas) and the Float 36 RC2s performed brilliantly. I think i managed to get all the settings right first go! It tracked well, sucked up all the small bumps and handled all of the ledges and stuff that Appin has. It also bobbed less than the 66RC2X i had on the Nomad when standing and pedalling.

Carbon bars are always something that give people some concerns and i'm no different. I went for the FSA K Force DH bars because the guys at the shop said they were nice and strong. They immediately felt very stiff. The front end had a very together sort of feel. Steering was faster than the Nomad.

The bike was more maneuverable than the Nomad. I could change direction and lines much faster. The Firebird didn't feel as good plowing through things as the Nomad did but it made up for it with it's overall lighter weight and responsiveness. Flickable is how it would best be described i guess. The FB was also easier to get in the air and wheelie or manual through the puddles. Which it needs to be because there is a massive Firebird sticker under the downtube and how else am i meant to show it off!

Shifting was good. On the Nomad i was running X9 shifters and rear derailleur with an XTR front derailleur. On the Firebird i have X0 shifters and rear derailleur with an XT front derailleur. Same series chain and cassette on both bikes. I felt shifting performance was level. The front derailleur on the Firebird is attached to a swinging mount. I think this is possibly a solution looking for a problem. Front shifting on the Nomad was no worse or better than on the Firebird. Perhaps i'll notice a difference when i replace the XT with an XTR front mech on the FB. While i couldn't feel any performance difference with the shifters, the X0 shifters did feel better when in use but i couldn't qualify why.

Shimano Saint cranks feel much stiffer than the Race Face Atlas AM cranks i had. It doesn't feel like any power is being wasted andi really did think to myself while climbing that the cranks were noticeably stiffer. It's not something i thought i'd pick up on but i did.

I didn't lower the Joplin seat post once. I never felt the need. I'll see how it goes for a few more rides but i might sell it and just chuck a Thomson or something on there instead. The play in the Joplin wasn't noticeable unless i was stopped and moving around to check if i could feel it moving!

So now onto the big part, the frame and how it performed...

Climbing was much better on the FB than the Nomad. I could stand without the rear bobbing up and down or feeling like i was wasting power. I spent most of my time climbing in the 36t chainring as it was just that much easier. I put it in the 22t granny ring to see how it went and it was still nice and smooth. None of the chain pull that i could feel on the Nomad in the granny ring and 4th or 5th.

Looking down you can see the gold lower link moving. It just looks cool.

Braking didn't seem to affect the rear suspension at all and the rear end felt as laterally stiff as the Nomad.

Acceleration was faster on the FB. Based on the climbing performance i think a lot of this can be attributed to the rear suspension design, although the lower weight defintely helps. Descending was probably the only spot where the lower weight was a bit of a disadvantage. The bike is very stable at speed and when descending but it's not built up quite as burly as the Nomad was, so it doesn't plow through stuff as well. There was one section where i usually aim the Nomad straight down but on this bike i felt like i was dancing around the rough stuff. It felt pretty cool. I think the bottom bracket is slightly higher on the FB too. I didn't bash any rocks with the cranks.

Next ride i'll incrase the pressure in the rear shock as i think it was a little low this time out. I didn't bottom the shock, although i'll increase the bottom out setting too, and it didn't feel mushy. Just looking down while riding it looked like it might have been using a bit too much travel. I had about 20mm of sag when Fox recommends 16mm and i left the shock pump at home. However, the rear suspension felt awesome and i don't know if i'll even bother trying the CCDB! I'll see how it goes with a bit more air pressure next ride before i put it up for sale though.

So overall, i'm extremely happy with the Firebird. My back up plan of selling it and buying a new Nomad looks like it won't come into play. It really is a step up from my old Nomad!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Firebird still feels nice.

My EMC2 frame cracked, so i picked up a new frameset.

It really doesn't look very good in photos but it looks great in real life.:)

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It depends on where i'm riding.

BMC Pro Machine is my dry weather commuter and road bike.

The Fuji is my wet weather commuter now that i've moved and it's a 50km commute.

Giant XTC Two2One is my local bike and used to be my wet weather commuter when it was only a 15km commute.

Giant Anthem is my XC bike.

The Pivot Firebird is my fun bike for rougher tracks or if i'm riding a track for the first time or exploring options on a regular track.

The Giant OCR flat bar roadie sits on the trainer or my wife rides it.

The Devinci Magma gets ridden if the Firebird is out of action or my wife wants to come along for a ride.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just got back from it's maiden voyage. I went for an explore to find a track that i can see from the highway when i commute to work, so it was all road stuff. Unfortunately i didn't find the track but the bike feels good so far. I've straighted the bars up a bit, lowered the pressure in the fork and tyres and we'll see how it goes during the Fling tomorrow! Now i need to get to Phantom Cycles for a chainstay protector and some of those clear adhesive bits to stop cable rub.:)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Forgot to post up the spec list for the Mach 5.

Frame: 2009 Pivot Mach 5, small size, blue anodised, Fox RP23 rear shock.
Fork: 2009 Fox Float 150 RLC.
Wheels: Shimano XT.
Brakes: Shimano XT, 7" front and 6" rear.
Cranks: Race Face Deus XC
Pedals: Time Aliums.
Chain: Shimano XTR.
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34.
Rear Derailleur: Sram X9.
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Tyres: Continental Mountain Kings, replaced now with a Crossmark rear and Rendez front, all UST.
Stem: Pro Koryak 90mm length. I have tried a 70mm stem but didn't like it for climbing.
Handlebars: FSA K Force DH 40mm rise
Grips: Oury lock-ons.
Shifters: Sram X0.
Seat Post: Race Face Deus XC.
Seat: SDG Bel Air RL
Headset: Ritchey WCS

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update time. Please excuse some of the photos, sometimes i get lucky and they aren't blurry, most times i'm not so lucky.

Fuji Team wet weather commuter. Full 9 speed Ultegra drivetrain and brakes. Shimano R535 front wheel, R550 rear wheel because the wifes cousin broke the R535 that was on the back. Fuji seat. Ritchey seatpost, Easton EA50 stem, Deda Newton bars, Maxxis Re-Fuse tyres with a liner in the rear.

The Devinci magma is more the wife's bike. I have ridden it more than her though. I've never really enjoyed riding it though. She likes it so i guess that's all that matters.

Frame: Devinci Magma with a Fox Float RP3.
Fork: Marzocchi All Mountain SL1.
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax XL.
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5 6".
Cranks: Shimano XTR.
Pedals: Snafu magnesium flats.
Chain: Sram PC990.
Cassette: Sram 990 11-34.
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR.
Tyres: Maxxis Ignitor 2.35" UST front, maxxis Crossmark 2.1" UST rear.
Stem: BBB 60mm
Handlebars: Truvativ Hozfeller
Grips: Syncros lock-on.
Shifters: Sram X9.
Seat Post: Woodman.
Headset: Cane Creek something

The XC bike.
Frame: Pivot Mach 5
Fork: Fox Float 32 RLC 150.
Wheels: Shimano XT
Brakes: Shimano XT, 7" front and 6" rear, white Jagwire hoses.
Cranks: Race Face Deus XC
Chain: Shimano XT.
Cassette: Shimano XT.
Tyres: Maxxis Rendez 2.1" UST front, Maxxis 2.1" UST Crossmark rear
Stem: Pro Koryak 90mm
Shifters: Sram X0, white Jagwire housing.
Seat Post: Race Face Deus XC.
Headset: Ritchey WCS

The fast commuter! This one replaced the EMC2 and is a much better bike. I've thought of going to 7900 DA or even Di2 but the mixed reviews and price of the standard 7900 groupset have put me off it. I'd be happy to pay for Di2 but after seeing it on the same frame as mine i think i'll wait until i'm up for a whole new roadie and then buy one that is designed with Di2 in mind, like the BH G5.

Frame: BMC ProMachine SLC01
Fork: Easton EC90SLX
Wheels: Shimano Dura Ace C24 CL
Brakes and Drivetrain: Shimano 7800 Dura Ace with FSA SLK cranks that have performed much better than i anticipated. For example, the pedal inserts haven't separated from the crank arm!
Pedals: Shimano Dura Ace
Tyres: Maxxis Re-Fuse with a liner in the rear because nothing else seems to last on the roads around here.
Stem: Pedalsoft with integrated clip-ons.
Handlebars: FSA something
Grips: Ritchey tape
Seat Post: Easton EC70
Seat: Fizik Arione CX
Headset: whatever was standard

The Firebird is my favourite bike. It's muh better than the original Nomad i had and now that i've had a chance to test out a Nomad 2 with a CCDB on it i can say that the Firebird is the better AM bike. I think the Nomad 2 is a better light freeride bike, but replace the carbon rocker on the Firebird with the new aluminum rocker, or even the new beefed uo carbon rocker, and i think the Firebird would have it beat there too!

Frame: 2009 Pivot Firebird, small size, rootbeer anodised, Fox DHX 5.0 rear shock that may be replaced with the CCDB i still have.
Fork: 2009 Fox Float RC2.
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax SX.
Brakes: Shimano XT, 8" front and 7" rear.
Cranks: Shimano Saint 22/36/BR 170mm length
Cassette: Sram 990 11-34.
Rear Derailleur: Sram X0.
Tyres: Continental Rubber Queens 2.4" UST front, 2.2" rear.
Stem: Syncros AM, 75mm length
Shifters: Sram X0 running full length housing.
Seat Post: Thomson Elite to replace the Crank Bros Joplin that only ever got used when someone in a carpark asked what the lever on the seatpost did.
Seat: SDG Bel Air RL was replaced by a Fizik Gobi but i've now gone back to the SDG Bel Air with the cow print. It suits the bike and my bum perfectly.
Headset: FSA Orbit Extreme 1.5R

The flat bar roadie set up on the trainer. Sometimes the wife rides it too.

The latest build.

A while ago i stripped the Anthem down with plans to sell it. This afternoon while chatting in the LBS one of the guys said he had almost finished building up a FS SS. So i thought i'd build one up tonight and see how it goes.

Initial backyard testing felt pretty good. The first trail test was good too. It now looks like i'll set the new SS hardtail frame up with the Alfine 11 hub when it comes out.

Frame: Giant Anthem 3.5" travel.
Fork: Manitou Minute 130mm travel.
Wheels: Mavic 819 rims, XT hubs, DT spokes.
Brakes: Shimano XT 6".
Cranks: Race face Deus XC with a 32 tooth Renthal chainring
Pedals: Time Z Controls.
Cassette: 18 tooth steel.
Rear Derailleur: Sram X9 - to be replaced with either a Rohloff, Alfine or Yess tensioner.
Tyres: Continental Mountain King 2.2" UST
Stem: Race Face Deus XC SL 90mm
Handlebars: Answer ProTaper OS carbon
Seat Post: Easton EA50
Headset: standard Cane Creek

The trail dog.

When the wife brought him home he was supposed to be a Fox Terrier, but i think someone forgot to tell the mostly Red Cattle Dog that! He likes to come out and can keep up around Appin and Camden without any problems, although i beat him on the downhills!

He doesn't like having his picture taken either.

I still have the XTC Two2One SS but probably not for much longer.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike with 6700 wheelset, Hutchinson Fusion 3 tyres set up tubeless and loaner 7900 11-25 cassette.

Notice how the tyre labelling lines up with the tube! :p The shop had the tyres fitted when i got there and apparently they weren't much fun to fit on. Inside is the Hutchinson sealant.

With the old 7850 C24 CL wheels in front.

Anthem SS with Yess tensioner fitted, so this bike is complete and i finally took a pic of it.

Yess ETR/D tensioner.

Bike garage with the bikes finally set up how i want. I'll probably modify the stand again later on but it's okay at the moment.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The first ride with the road tubeless wheelset was excellent. Along Remberance Dr over Razorback, Camden Bypass and through Campbelltown, Leumeah and Minto onto Macquarie Fields. Not the greatest roads. At the lights on Narellan Rd i noticed a 5mm cut in the front tyre. I got to work and checked it out properly and it had gone all the way through. The sealant had done it's job. When i got home and put the pump back on the tyre i'd only gone down from 100psi to 85psi.

Tonight i went through the process of patching the tyre. It wasn't much fun but now that i've done it and experimented a bit it's not a big problem.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
While waiting for the Evolver ISX-6 rear shock for the Firebird i've chucked the CCDB on there. The spring rate wasn't as far off as i thought and with a bit more preload there is still plenty of space between each coil to gte full travel. As soon as the weather clears up i can give it a ride!

supermajo1

Likes Dirt
that is such a good collection of bikes you have there.
Have fun on the mach 5.
I have ridden one and they feel awesome.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I made up the reducers to fit a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 rear shock on the Firebird and the piggyback reserviour doesn't hit the frame so i can test it out at some stage. I've also fitted the CCDB rear shock so i'll be testing that one out first.:D