My experience with Canyon

bh78

Likes Dirt
So, a good news story.

I have three boys aged 8, 6 and 3. Somehow, I managed to convince the good Wife to buy a quality MTB for the boys noting it will go through 3 of them. They can ride with Dad, usual grovel..

After looking around, I settled on a XS ladies Canyon Neuron 5.0 AL in matte black; great spec for the $.

I placed an order and received a call from Josh to confirm details and to let me know they had an Australian branch that could assist.

Bike arrived in remote WA after 10 days from Germany, no issues.

Because my 8 year old needs a pimp ride, I set about swapping the wheelset to a set of M1700 DT Swiss wheels I had lying around from my Giant Reign Advanced 1 (36t engagement, tubeless, Magic Mary and Hans Dampf in evo spec rubber). Front wheel converted without a hitch, rear wheel took me by suprise as it had a skewer vs a 142x12 axle.

I called Canyon Australia to see what could be done noting the higher spec bike had a 142x12 axle. Adrian took my call late on a Friday arvo and said "let me check it out". Within 10 minutes, he'd nipped out the back, checked out another bike and gave me a call back with a solution noting they had the conversation kit in stock.

Being in WA, the camel arrived a week later with my parts. One hitch, the derailleur hanger was slightly diffrrent. Called Canyon today, there response was "sorry, we should have picked that, express freight is on us". I also mentioned by email that the bike had since gone on sale, "no problem, we'll refund you the difference". A not insignificant $280.

Whilst I have no affiliation with Canyon, I have to say their service is awsome. Bravo Canyon.

I see a full carbon Spectral in my future - Wife approved.

D

Deleted member FN2187

I've never bought a complete bike online, but I have considered it many times. Though, it's customer service like this that should have bike shops shitting themselves. It will be sad to see the LBS die. Only the truly passionate owners will survive. Trek, giant and specialized concept stores are pushing the mum and dad shops out too.

That being said, it's a sign of the times, and if Canyon and YT can deliver a positive sales experience, more power to them. If it gets bums on bikes I'm all for it. I'm happy to hear you've had a good experience, Im digging their range and will consider it for sure in the future.

bh78

Likes Dirt
I've had a Giant Boulder, a Giant Trance X2, a Santa Cruz Blur, then a Rocky Mountain Element, followed by a Giant Reign Advanced (some I've owned in parallel).

Some of my builds, the Rocky with full XTR and Enve, have kissed $10k. I've also thrown mates towards the same LBS.

Best buying experiance, my kids Canyon.

Love my local bike shop, however, not sure they love me as much!

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Where I ride, there are plenty of Canyons , mostly strives ,

Everyone of the guys that rides one ive spoken to , is rapt in their bike and the company ,

Im thinking canyon next time myself

mark22

Likes Dirt
I had a fair to midlin experience with them regarding shot rear wheel bearing DT Swiss. Went through the whole sending a video thing resulting in being asked to send the wheel to Melbourne and they were then going to forward it to DT Swiss for warranty.
Managed to talk to a supervisor and got it confirmed and done locally for less than the postage it was going to cost.
Also the Spectral model purchased was listed with a Debonair can but came with a std one.
Took a bit of pushing in the end but we agreed they would send a Debonair upgrade kit to me to install.
Very happy with the bike, just a couple of hurdles that did not have to be jumped to get things right. May just have been the young guy I had to deal with, not the most practical person I've encountered.
That was 2 years ago.

Binaural

Eats Squid
ne of the guys that rides one ive spoken to , is rapt in their bike and the compa
Definitely on that list. My Strive has had the Reverb post break in the warranty period twice, and they could not have been more professional in handling the matter. When I first bought it, I missed out on a sale by less than 24 hours and they kindly reinstated the discount for me. Love the bike too!

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Definitely on that list. My Strive has had the Reverb post break in the warranty period twice, and they could not have been more professional in handling the matter. When I first bought it, I missed out on a sale by less than 24 hours and they kindly reinstated it for me. Love the bike too!
What happened to the post?

Binaural

Eats Squid
Sounds like a feature :rolleyes:

Glad they sorted it out for you. Does the dropper warranty period reset with each claim?
NSW consumer warranty law doesn't specify that it does, so it's up to the vendor (some will explicitly state that replacement parts are only warrantied for the balance of the warranty period of the original component), but Canyon didn't specify this when they handled the warranty claim. You are covered in general by the Australian consumer law, which requires that parts last a reasonable period according to their value, but if this post breaks again I suspect that I would prefer to throw the thing in the bin rather than organise yet another 3wk replacement cycle, or take my chances repairing it myself.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Something to remember also, is don't buy parts off the Canyon AU site. I needed a new RD hanger - $29 part, but an additional $60 shipping from Germany. Called up the AU guys and had one delivered next day for the price of Express Post.

nathanm

Eats Squid
So after getting stung another $150 from Canyon went I bought my spectral as i didn't read the fine print advising they charge in Euro, despite having an Australian site and every thing in AUD I've now found the bike hasn't been set up or tuned properly.

On my first proper ride (well at least until I destroyed both tyres) I found the bike wouldn't shift through the gears due to poor indexing. The brakes were also not bled correctly with a lack of fluid and bubbles all through the system. Whilst I'm expecting the standard reply from them of that bikes should be set up by a mechanic, the Polygon I bought for half the price was absolutely perfect out of the box.

Certainly takes the gloss off a $5k bike purchase. First world problems I know but is still irritating given it's nearly twice as much as I've spent on a bike previously.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found the main Canyon guys were very hit and miss with regards to answering questions but the Australian based team where awesome. I needed a fair bit of help getting the shapeshifter on a Strive sorted back in 2017 and they walked me through a bunch of different potential issues until it was sorted.

Sucks to hear you've had a bad experience. Direct to consumer really does seem to be 'roll the dice and hope'.