My first bike build up ( hardtail for the commute ) need advise on my parts!

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Hi all

I am looking for some advice on my very first build of a bike.

My mate gave me a 2007 a Scott Aspect frame ( forks and seat post) a while back and it’s been sitting out in the shed.
I have been looking for a new commuter bike after my old one ( it was pretty old ) got stolen from my local shops. So I am putting two and two together and I am going to build up the scott.

I am doing this for a number of reasons.

1. I have been looking for AGES for a hardtail to turn into a commuter and I just haven’t been able to find anything that I like.

2. I know NOTHING about maintaining a bike – so I figure this will be an excellent way of learning without having to fiddle with my good XC bike

3. I like the frame and I think I will get a sense of achievement out of building it.

I am without a doubt going to need a lot of help from here, as well as my LBS.
Now, I know that building up a bike is going to cost a bit – and yes, I could just go out and buy XX brand bike new... but look at point 2 & 3 above!

So here we go. Here is the original specs of the bike:
http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2008&Brand=Scott&Model=Aspect+20&Type=bike

Below are some of the parts that I am looking to purchase from CRC. The sizing of different components confuses the sh!t out of me, but I think I have most of it correct ( I certainly can’t afford to get something wrong – so if anyone sees something that won’t fit – give me yell ).

Bike will be used for a 30km round trip to work everyday.

Shimano XT Rear Derailleur M771 ($62)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20698

Shimano XT Front Derailleur Conventional M771 (31.8 & 34.9mm Dual Pull) ($43)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20685

Shimano XT Shifter Pod 9sp M770 F&R Pair (70570 & 70571) ($90)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20701

Shimano Deore Cassette 9 Speed HG50 11-32 ($30)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=443

Shimano Deore Chainset M590 175mm 4-Bolt 22.32.44 Black ($75)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40496

Shimano Bottom Bracket Octalink ES5168-113mm ($52)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=908

Shimano HG93 Chain 9 Speed ($26)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=656

Would anyone recommend anything different on the above – or has anyone noticed something which isn’t going to fit the frame and or other parts.

I was also hoping someone could recommend me a set of brakes that would be suitable and a headset – which I have no idea about.

I will get a wheel set from Australia ( 6 point rotors ) as well as a bar, grips and seat from my LBS.

Any advice on this build up would be great. Looking forward to it - but want to make sure I don't screw it up!

Cheers

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I'm actually running a near identical drivetrain on my commuter.

I built it up like you did, from a frame and then just added stuff bit by bit. Great way to teach yourself a bit about being a home mechanic too.
For my commuter I just use the deore BR-M535 brakes with a 180mm rotor on the front and 160mm on the rear.

A few people on here will probably crap on this choice of brake but ITS A COMMUTER and this has plenty of power for stopping at a set of traffic lights.
They have nice feel and are super cheap too. The stock resin pads that they come with are perfect for city riding and are nice and quiet.
Best of all, they come pre bled and fully assembled from shimano so it's as simple as putting them on, adjusting your reach and rolling out the door.

It's not a gourmet choice, and you won't get any cred from the peeps for having them, but who gives a damn. They are very reliable and I love em.
Doing 91kmh down the Southern Outlet and having to shave off some speed quickly for some fallen rocks on the road was no probs at all and I'm about 90 kilos.

BTW - I quickly learned how important it is to have a few bike tools.
I had to have the frame taken to my LBS to install the cranks and BB because I had no tools at the time.
Good luck with it, and have fun! Nothing quite as rewarding as building a bike up from scratch :)

Last edited:

d_n2blue

Likes Dirt
The Octalink bottom bracket will not work with the Hollowtech II cranks you have selected. Usually cranksets come with the BB included but if not you will need a Hollowtech II BB instaed of the octalink. Everything else looks great.

prklcd

Likes Dirt
I'm actually running a near identical drivetrain on my commuter.

I built it up like you did, from a frame and then just added stuff bit by bit. Great way to teach yourself a bit about being a home mechanic too.
For my commuter I just use the deore BR-M535 brakes with a 180mm rotor on the front and 160mm on the rear.

A few people on here will probably crap on this choice of brake but ITS A COMMUTER and this has plenty of power for stopping at a set of traffic lights.
They have nice feel and are super cheap too. The stock resin pads that they come with are perfect for city riding and are nice and quiet.
Best of all, they come pre bled and fully assembled from shimano so it's as simple as putting them on, adjusting your reach and rolling out the door.

It's not a gourmet choice, and you won't get any cred from the peeps for having them, but who gives a damn. They are very reliable and I love em.
Doing 91kmh down the Southern Outlet and having to shave off some speed quickly for some fallen rocks on the road was no probs at all and I'm about 90 kilos.

BTW - I quickly learned how important it is to have a few bike tools.
I had to have the frame taken to my LBS to install the cranks and BB because I had no tools at the time.
Good luck with it, and have fun! Nothing quite as rewarding as building a bike up from scratch :)
Thanks for your advice!

prklcd

Likes Dirt
The Octalink bottom bracket will not work with the Hollowtech II cranks you have selected. Usually cranksets come with the BB included but if not you will need a Hollowtech II BB instaed of the octalink. Everything else looks great.
Oh I think you're right! I might use the money I had against the BB for a BB tool :)

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're ordering that much stuff from CRC you might also consider getting wheels there too. If you spend about $500 you get free shipping, and you'll get a much more solid wheelset for your money over there.

I'd suggest getting quick links (SRAM or Wipperman) and three chains in total. Rotate through the chains each week and you'll get very long life from your drivetrain. Also consider some basic tools, like a chain cleaner and some brushes. Keep the drive train lubed and clean, and it will last for a very long time.

Also, is the commute flat? Mine is so I actually ditched the gears on my commuter bike and will not go back. It's cheaper, more reliable and less maintenance.

The deore brakes will do just fine. For a headset I'd recommend some thing like an FSA which will be quite reliable. EA50 stuff can be found pretty cheaply for bars, stem and seat post. They do very well.

al_

Likes Dirt
I did something similar late last year, and it has been great. I started off just doing it for experience and i got a good bike for not a lot of cash.

I started off with a cheap ebay frame, painted it and got good wheels and a decent (similar to your plan) driveline. It is fast, comfortable and i can fly up and down kerbs and not have to worry. It is nice being able to hit trails and rough stuff if the opportunity arises too.

I think your plan will work well. The only thing i am not happy with is my brakes - i used cable disks as i thought they would be adequate, but they need adjusting far too often and the juicy 7s on my new bike are lightyears ahead of them for feel and simplicity. I would get good stuff if you are around cars too - it is nice to be able to stop well!

I much prefer this to get into work on than the roadie. It isn't pretty, but works well and is comfortable... and dirty. Pic

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
The deore brakes will do just fine. For a headset I'd recommend some thing like an FSA which will be quite reliable. EA50 stuff can be found pretty cheaply for bars, stem and seat post. They do very well.
As mentioned, I am using the deore brakes, coincidentally plus FSA headset, Easton EA50 bars and stem as mentioned above and they are great. Highly recommended.

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys - this has been a great thread, lots of great ideas.

With wheelsets, I know nothing about them - can any pick one that I should get??

Last edited:

Cindercone

Cannon Fodder
Running a very similar set up on my round town hard tail, what you have listed there looks pretty god bar the one compatibility issue.

Like you, I'm looking into wheel sets at the moment as well, but I'm going to do a whole bunch of stuff at once.

Plan is to replace the wheels and disc brakes all at once (over these FX9's), just not sure if I should import all the parts and have a crack my self, or go pay someone to do it all for me (thinking of going all shimano, eg wheels, brakes, the whole lot).

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shimano hubs can be incredible reliable if they are properly adjusted. For this you will need some cone spanners though. Get Deore or above as they have decent sealing. I'd spend a little more on the rest of the wheel. Get something with a welded join and eyelets, mavic or sun will do fine. Also get some decent spokes, don't bother with alloy nipples, get brass. Get them well built and they'll be running for a very long time. You could go for hubs with sealed bearings, but they'll cost you more generally.