My juicy sounds like a dolphin, no a dolphin sounds like my juicy

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
Well as you read, when ever i put on my rear brake, even lightly, it makes a 'flutter flutter' noise, like the pads crooked and hitting the holes in the disc.

I've had it for about 3 months, and i was wondering if it's normal and if iti'll go away. I believe it is worn in

Tizz

Banned
Maybe there is something jamed in there, a small twig or something? just a guess but if not, not really sure. If there is something in there it should go away in a few days of riding, id recommend taking it into your lbs.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you have Turkey Gobble Rotors? That's probably your answer. If not try taking them out and sandpaper them lightly then metho them.

tnankie

Likes Dirt
Well as you read, when ever i put on my rear brake, even lightly, it makes a 'flutter flutter' noise, like the pads crooked and hitting the holes in the disc.

I've had it for about 3 months, and i was wondering if it's normal and if iti'll go away. I believe it is worn in
Im afraid thats the older juicy rotor for you.

I couldn't find a way to reliably stop it.

Changing to the new rotors works a treat though.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
2 possible problems...

Firstly, to the op, what size rotors are you running? Secondly, are they the old polygon rotors as shown in previous pic, or are they the new ones?
If they are the old rotors, get new ones, but only get avid rotors if they are the 6" version; in any other size, use a hayes/shimano/quad/other rotor. If you have the new g2 cleansweep rotors, and it is not a 6", see above. Whichever way you sort the rotor issue, get a set of after-market pads instead of the avid ones, which are rubbish IMO. I have had very good success with and would recommend Koolstops, but others have had success with EBC or Galfer. The noise you are hearing is almost certainly a combination of bad quality pad mixed with either a bad rotor design (polygons) or a mismatched pad/rotor width; 7" and 8" avid rotors have a narrower braking track than 6", allowing the pads to scrub on the rotor arms as they revolve. If you have the 185mm avid rotors, remember everyone else uses 180mm, so you may need a different caliper mount (or file the old one down, very slow and tedious). Follow these simple steps and you will have silent, hassle free braking. :)

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
Firstly, to the op, what size rotors are you running? Secondly, are they the old polygon rotors as shown in previous pic, or are they the new ones?
Nah they're the new ones, it's an 07 or an 08 juicy 5. I think i might try the sand paper idea, how much sanding should i do?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate, I have the same issue with my juicy seven rear 7" but the front 8" has no worries. They are the current rotor shape.

I wouldn't go sanding anything, you'll just end up with a bogan looking sanded rotor thats less efficient. I just put up with it, as it's not a full time thing, but you could try an aftermarket rotor, there are plenty available.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
sure its just pad on rotor making sound and not vibrations from having loose caliper/adapter bolts amplifying it? my code's were doing it, i was getting really angry then i relised my calliper was loose..

They still make the noise, but its not as bad as it used to be.. if anything its good, as i dont use the brakes becuase i hate the noise. :p:rolleyes:

Razor-ryder

Likes Dirt
sure its just pad on rotor making sound and not vibrations from having loose caliper/adapter bolts amplifying it? my code's were doing it, i was getting really angry then i relised my calliper was loose..

They still make the noise, but its not as bad as it used to be.. if anything its good, as i dont use the brakes becuase i hate the noise. :p:rolleyes:
Thats a golden solution that..

If its really that annoying put some oil or grease that makes the sound go away.:rolleyes: If not rub your rotor with the search button.

Last edited:

|Matt|

Banned
Mate, I have the same issue with my juicy seven rear 7" but the front 8" has no worries. They are the current rotor shape.

I wouldn't go sanding anything, you'll just end up with a bogan looking sanded rotor thats less efficient. I just put up with it, as it's not a full time thing, but you could try an aftermarket rotor, there are plenty available.
Sanding a rotor will make it brake better, not worse.

Try getting new pads. In my experiences, Avids make that noise until you change the pads, I don't think its the rotor. I ran an Avid rotor with a Saint for a long time and it didn't make any noise, so I don't think its the rotor.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sanding a rotor will make it brake better, not worse.

Try getting new pads. In my experiences, Avids make that noise until you change the pads, I don't think its the rotor. I ran an Avid rotor with a Saint for a long time and it didn't make any noise, so I don't think its the rotor.
Depends on how you look at it.

Sanding reduces mass, reduced mass equals lessened ability to deal with the generated heat, hence less efficient.

If you are trying to say that its benificial from a friction point of view, then surely more aggresive pads would be the logical way to go, rather than "backyarding" a perfectly good rotor?

|Matt|

Banned
Depends on how you look at it.

Sanding reduces mass, reduced mass equals lessened ability to deal with the generated heat, hence less efficient.

If you are trying to say that its benificial from a friction point of view, then surely more aggresive pads would be the logical way to go, rather than "backyarding" a perfectly good rotor?
You're not going to be removing a considerable amount of metal. If you do, you're a fucking idiot. You use an extremely fine grit sand paper and lightly sand it to create a rougher surface for more friction. Whats gonna bite better, a smooth, glazed surface or a rough as hell surface?

It doesn't wreck the rotor either, I've done it to every rotor I've ever owned and they look no different to any other rotors. Braking marks are more visible than sandpaper scratches.

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
Try getting new pads. In my experiences, Avids make that noise until you change the pads, I don't think its the rotor.

Sawtell that's a pretty good idea, i think i'll try that first

Matt, if it nothing works and i really can't put up with the noise i'll try that, but the pads are only a month or 2 old.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Yep, change out the pads..

Go with Koolstop (as suggested earlier) or others as mentioned. Money VERY well spent IMO, regardless of the age of your current pads.

HeezaGeeza

Likes Dirt
Go with Koolstop (as suggested earlier) or others as mentioned. Money VERY well spent IMO, regardless of the age of your current pads.
I had the same issues a while ago and took the following steps in order:

1. Sanded pads
2. Wiped pads with nail polish remover
3. Checked rotors were straight (they were)
4. Replaced pads
5. Found out when cleaning bike that a bolt on the caliper housing itself was loose. Tightened and problem solved.

On another occasion I found a small chunk missing on one of the pistons which must have been when I pushed them apart with a screw driver and slipped. This may well have contributed too so check there.