My wax based lube recipe

crowash

Likes Dirt
Yeah I picked mine up this morning and it was more like Clag glue than anything else but all the wax had dissolved. I grated the Bees wax finely but the parraffin came in small little balls and it was the stuff that took a while. I'll stick some more wax a grease remover in it and think I'll have the perfect mix.

I live in a coastal area so sand is a daily experience and getting it in yoru drive train is nasty. The chain was clean this morning after an hour and a half :02.47-tranquillity:

this stuff is pretty sweet from what I can tell.

danj

Likes Bikes
I'd be interested to hear your experiences with this wax.

I'm leaving my run a little late for testing but I just mixed a batch up for use in the Otway this year. Will it last the 100k's if I give the chain a good soaking? Lets assume we will have plesent conditions, no mud.......

crowash

Likes Dirt
Only issue I have had with it is the container. Once you have the consistency you want it really needs to be airtight or it just dries up. A sauce bottle doesn't work. Best bet is to hang onj to your old lube bottles.

Also, I found much higher quantities of wax n grease remover were needed than the recipie outlined. Other than that it works really well once you get it sorted.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
With chains at $25 from CRC and lube at $15 it questions how much effort you should spend making your chain last.
Thread bump. Chains now gone up north of $40. Gonna give the recipe a shot. What's the most up to date lol?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Thread bump. Chains now gone up north of $40. Gonna give the recipe a shot. What's the most up to date lol?
molten speed wax. stoopid money $40ish for a sachet, but supposedly lasts at least 6,000 + Km

Calvin27

Eats Squid
molten speed wax. stoopid money $40ish for a sachet, but supposedly lasts at least 6,000 + Km
Thanks, I was trying to avoid this. Very pricey and requires pre-cleaning of the chain which is a bit of the pain in the ass.

I care little for watts and all that. Just want a cleaner drivetrain without needing to relube and clean too much - yes the holy grail.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Thanks, I was trying to avoid this. Very pricey and requires pre-cleaning of the chain which is a bit of the pain in the ass.

I care little for watts and all that. Just want a cleaner drivetrain without needing to relube and clean too much - yes the holy grail.
I've got you! Can't do details right now but have a look at the lube thread on the Old Farts Forum.

Old Farts Lube Thread

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Been following this wax method for the past year:

It's a lot of work, but once waxed, the drivetrain is silent and smooth. I do mine once a month riding about 2-3 times a week, each ride about 10-20 km.

He posted a new compound about 10 months ago here:
. Might worth checking out.

If u want the liquid version:

Cardy George

Couple notes on the waxing. Be selective with your choice of candle. Some contain oils which will make the dirt stick. And don't bother with the paraffin oil. I don't and I get over 200km a week, plus its an oil, so funnily enough, makes the dirt stick. And finally, I don't wipe the chain down, just hang and let set.

I'll watch the others tomorrow, I'm keen to know if I can make a better blend.

Last edited:

itsajoke

Likes Dirt

A bit of effort using the Oz Cycle method but it is only initial pain. Once the chain is clean you only dip it in wax, wash it with hot water when you want to clean it, then dip it in hot wax again.
I‘m getting ~300 kms from wax chains on the road, ~200 kms on dirt. Same chains/wax/process just harsher conditions in the dust.

$13 for a bag of paraffin wax from spotlight. $25 for a bag of Teflon. $20 for a slow cooker.

The Silca bag of wax looks tempting too. The cost is prohibitive though.

Reactions: PJO

Cardy George

A bit of effort using the Oz Cycle method but it is only initial pain. Once the chain is clean you only dip it in wax, wash it with hot water when you want to clean it, then dip it in hot wax again.
I‘m getting ~300 kms from wax chains on the road, ~200 kms on dirt. Same chains/wax/process just harsher conditions in the dust.

$13 for a bag of paraffin wax from spotlight. $25 for a bag of Teflon. $20 for a slow cooker.

The Silca bag of wax looks tempting too. The cost is prohibitive though.
What he said! It's really only the initial preparation that's a pain, once that is done it's really only the time it takes to warm the rice cooker. You don't even have to hit it with warm water, but it does leave a bit of grit in the bottom of the bowl.

I run multiple chains because of how many k's I do, so at the end of the week I whack a fresh one on and leave the used one in the cooker until I'm on the last one, and re-wax them in one go.

@itsajoke where are you getting Teflon from, and how much do you use?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I'm trying OC's new wax compound on my next waxing journey. Found a seller on ebay selling the wax + ptfe powder in one pack (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Combo-1...ltra-fine-PTFE-Teflon-powder-50g/193523575259). I wonder if I can just use rice cooker for this - can be arsed getting slow cooker from kmart..

@Calvin27 make sure you clean the chain properly. OC has a video on this:
Last time when I waxed a new chain, I didn't clean it properly (metho wasn't clear, it's still cloudy grey) and the wax didn't stick well. I used kerosene instead of petrol and used the 5ltr degreaser from super cheap auto.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Couple notes on the waxing. Be selective with your choice of candle. Some contain oils which will make the dirt stick. And don't bother with the paraffin oil. I don't and I get over 200km a week, plus its an oil, so funnily enough, makes the dirt stick. And finally, I don't wipe the chain down, just hang and let set.

oh also this. I used scented candle on my first attempt (because i have them at home) and it attracts so much dirt that on the next wax i have to redo all the cleaning. I would recommend just a pure paraffin wax if possible.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
@Calvin27 make sure you clean the chain properly.

Last time when I waxed a new chain, I didn't clean it properly (metho wasn't clear, it's still cloudy grey) and the wax didn't stick well. I used kerosene instead of petrol and used the 5ltr degreaser from super cheap auto.
Ditto. And yeah ordered straight paraffin and 1.6 micron ptfe. Should have enough to last me a long time and it's tonnes cheaper thanbuying lube that atracts gunk.

Freediver

I can go full Karen

If the oil is making the wax sticky you're adding to much.