Mystery Stromlo Guide?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On the Monday after Dirtworks (3rd may?) a mate and I travelled down to Stromlo in a big camper. We arrived at about 3pm and got ready for a recce, before our full day on Tuesday.
While getting ready, a guy arrived who said he would show us around.

During conversation, he said that he had qualified for the World 24's and his wife was a very competative 4X rider, and ranked in the top 3 riders in Australia. He had an unusual brown dog that came with us, and was lightning quick.

I surmised that his wife must have been Sarsha Huntington, so by default, he must have been Randal Huntington?
Couple of things don't fit though. Wouldn't think that there would be many top level 4X riders that would be riding World 24's, and they both also are listed as based in Queensland, and the guy who was our guide was a local.

Would like to hear from anybody that thinks they know who this might have been.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Couple of things don't fit though. Wouldn't think that there would be many top level 4X riders that would be riding World 24's, and they both also are listed as based in Queensland, and the guy who was our guide was a local.

Would like to hear from anybody that thinks they know who this might have been.
I don't see where you said he said he rode 4x as well; just his wife.

Could be bullshit. Have you tried looking for a picture of Randal and comparing it to who you saw?

My mate is a 'local' down there too but he has all his stuff up here, just works down there.
Maybe the same goes if this truly was Randal?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't see where you said he said he rode 4x as well; just his wife.

QUOTE]

He never said that he did ride 4X, it's just that I saw that Randal Huntington was named in the Austaralian 4X team for this years worlds. I overheard him say to a mate that his training for the World 24's solo was going well. They don't seem like 2 disciplines that go together.

He said his wifes name and I was positive it was Sarsha. He said that Rachael Buchanan was her biggest rival in 4X, and they are the only 2 named in the female 4X team.

He was very quick. We had only gone about 100m down the section past the Luge (Ridgeline?) and we couldn't even see his dust. His crazy dog was kicking his arse.

Not sure why Fat Ride would suggest he was a liar. He didn't claim to be anyone, I am just trying to sort it out.

Last edited:

scbullit

Likes Dirt
Maybe Julia Boer's husband? I don't recall his name, but she is local and was ranked third in last years 4x series?

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Maybe Julia Boer's husband? I don't recall his name, but she is local and was ranked third in last years 4x series?
Yep - that would be Roger Derrick, Indi Boer's other half, and all his claims are true.

The quick brown dog was the clue ;)

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep - that would be Roger Derrick, Indi Boer's other half, and all his claims are true.

The quick brown dog was the clue ;)
Cheers.

For the record, what is his wifes name? He said that she had injured herself riding and that was why he was training with his dog.

What was he training for? In hindsight, he might have just said that he was training for the Worlds.
Maybe 4X instead of 24hrs.

If you see him, can you say it was much appreciated. We had an awesome day the next day, after our orientation. We did 50kms all up and rode everything except the downhill and 4X, even Blood Rock, an old eroded double black diamond trail. Made us feel like we were home. ;)