Narrow wide chain rings

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Hi all, I am am currently looking at upgrading my 32t NW chain ring to something bigger. I have 2 questions.

1. Should I upgrade to a 34t or 36t? I am not sure how much difference there is, but I often find myself in the highest gear and still needing to shift. Also, I am never in granny gear and always float between mid to high gear.

2. Is there honestly much difference between an ebay $20 NW ring or something like Wolftooth or Raceface?

Thanks in advance.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Get the 36t in an oval. It will feel like a 34t but give you that extra oomph in the high gears.

Main difference between cheapies and something branded is metallurgy/service life. But in saying that Raceface chainrings are made of cheese. Wolftooth and Absolute Black are very tough.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

goobags

Likes Dirt
You will need to do either some maths or some trial and error. Depending on the cassette, a gear step is somewhere around 10-12% (ballpark) in ratio change per gear. What cassette are you running?

If you want to have a play around with chainring sizes, the eBay ones will get you out of trouble but when you find the right one, you will probably want a decent brand so it will last. May be better off biting the bullet from the start.

On ovals, comparing the same tooth count chainring and gear on the back at the same speed, you will be doing the same cadence. Also if you end up with something pretty big like a 36t oval, check your chainring clearance as it’s equivalent to a 38t in diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
36tb oval can give clearance issues, how high s your BB? but sounds like u wanty the extra spd of the 36.

I have mostly cheap ebay rings -have bent one over so badly I could have used it as a taco holder, hav had 1 other bend 2 teeth. have a coupke of raceface, have lasted better, have a wolfT on a gravel bike , its good but I don't notice the diff

Minlak

custom titis
I saw the ovals and had no idea they existed until now. They look interesting.
Basic rule of thumb on an oval is go one size bigger than you have. So if you are thinking 34 you would go 36 oval.
I just went from 30t round to 32t oval it feels good. I wouldn’t have gone to 32t round would have stayed 30t it’s only cause it’s oval I went 32t.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
@Minlak so currently I have a 32t round but am keen on trying an oval. So if I went a 34t oval is it gonna feel like a 32 or 34t depending on where abouts I am on pedal stroke?

goobags

Likes Dirt
A 34 oval will feel like a 36 or 32 depending on the position in the stroke.

When I put ovals on my bikes, I kept the same tooth count from round. I can notice the difference that they’re not round but it doesn’t make me change gears any differently. Remember cadence will remain the same so it depends how you ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
@Minlak so currently I have a 32t round but am keen on trying an oval. So if I went a 34t oval is it gonna feel like a 32 or 34t depending on where abouts I am on pedal stroke?
I have only used direct mount ovals and they are designed to go one way only. The advice I had was go up one size. So a 34 oval should feel like a 32 round. Now also everyone is different a very experienced riding buddy of mine found no difference in using an oval and he explained it was because he already knew how to pedal in a circle. The other thing to double check is maximum chain ring size for your bike and set up. My bike has a maximum 32t size that will fit.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys. Plenty of food for though. Another stupid question.... will changing to a larger chainring size throw out my rear derailleur and will I need to re-adjust?

PJO

in me vL comy
Thanks guys. Plenty of food for though. Another stupid question.... will changing to a larger chainring size throw out my rear derailleur and will I need to re-adjust?
No, but chain might not be long enough...

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I ended up buying an ebay cheapie in 34t to try out. From an "Australian supplier", yet its apparently going to take 2 weeks to arrive... go figure.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
I’ve been using cheap eBay chainrings from a brand called Snail and been very happy so far. Had them on last 3 bikes. Mates also now using them. Cheap enough to take a punt

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I think it's bollocks. I went 30t to 32 oval then back to 30t oval. The only thing I noticed is it's a little easier on my knees when climbing.