National fuel strike

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Let’s try that again. Was there any effect of the proposed strike/boycott/farce? I know I didn’t fill up, what about others?
Dunno about any widespread effect, but I didn't buy any for the simple fact that I wasn't paying the ridiculous $1.70/litre they were asking.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As most fuel retail outlets are franchise or small businesses, boycotting them for a day and buying your fuel on another day is counter productive to lowering fuel costs.
Government won't notice, excise and gst still collected.
Fuel supplier won't notice, you still bought fuel.
Small business paid staff for the day, power, lease, didn't sell as much chocolates or drinks that day (because they actually make more profit on these goods than petrol), needs to keep petrol price up next few days to cover the profit losses.

End result, fuel price stays higher, longer.

But I'm sure it seemed like a good idea...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
As usual the world is a topsy turvy perverse place.

Motorists need to ride bicycles to fuel strike. Conversely cyclists need to drive to work on 'ride to work' day to prove a point.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Government won't notice, excise and gst still collected.
This is simply not the case.

If there is a significant movement by people on any particular issue, especially in the lead up to an election - especially if govt is likely to change, they will notice.

There has to be enough of a shift in the numbers (such as pertol consumption down on a designated day by 15%, or whatever and the shock jocks talking about it on the radio for the following days) for them to notice. It then gets picked up by peak bodies and social champions and builds momentum.

There are eleventy billion examples of this kind of stuff, saying that govt doesn't pay attention to public opinion - espeically when it is mobilised into action - is just flat out incorrect.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry I wasn't clear.
Government won't notice any financial difference from the protest. I thought my comment implied that as I was referring to the financial benefits and burdons of the protest of not purchasing fuel for a day.
I agree, it highlighted the public opinion and public forums regarding high prices.
Short term result, it costs small businesses , it costs the public, government "might" feel some pressure "if" a major party decides to make an election issue from it, but it costs them nothing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'd imagine that both major parties are paying a bit more attention than usual to the public after Wentworth.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Here’s hoping the prices stay high, and keep getting higher longer term.

Needs to be $3 a litre to really drive significant change in consumer purchasing habits. Too fast a rise and it’s too much of a disruption though. Need time for all those suv owners to join the dots and change cars...

But with a whole bunch of middle and lower end market EVs about to hit the market it’s probably well timed.

So glad our government got on the front foot with charging infrastructure and consumer education etc