NBN Options (Sydney)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Like any piece of software your modem/router can get screwed up. Something gets written to memory incorrectly and then it screws everything up. It happens.

Most modem/routers use a stripped down version of Linux called Busybox. Which is very reliable and stable. Sometimes things just go wrong. A restart will use the existing settings which if screwed up just continues the problem. Resetting takes the modem back to factory settings. Sometimes resetting is the only way to fix a problem.

CBG.
This will be it. Home routers are made down to a price and generally not up to a standard.

Free Linux reigns for home devices and by nature will allocate all the memory it can get its hands on.

Memory management has always been one of its weaker points IMHO and having a garbage collection processes to remove older, unneeded cached files and other faff left in memory after use by an application or process then it can slow down the lot due to lack of available resources. A process may end but not clean up its mess so the OS may suffer as an end result and is generally not able to clean it up.

Gear I work on is Linux based but has pretty detailed garbage collection run regularly to keep it healthy since has to run 24x7. The available memory that can be used for applications or user space is known as the heap.

Applications and processes written for cheaper home devices probably aren't going to spend time cleaning up after themselves so could choke a lot eariler.

Any network policy to groom or throttle traffic is done on the network side only. Usually uses a few pieces of info like username/login, source & destination IPs and protocol etc. This will be persistent and shouldn't be affected by home router reboots or resets no matter how much you flick the switch.

Geekery is done.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Any network policy to groom or throttle traffic is done on the network side only. Usually uses a few pieces of info like username/login, source & destination IPs and protocol etc. This will be persistent and shouldn't be affected by home router reboots or resets no matter how much you flick the switch.
Yes, this is what I was thinking too. Almost certainly not true that this was the cause as a reboot fixed the problem.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yes, this is what I was thinking too. Almost certainly not true that this was the cause as a reboot fixed the problem.
I'm sure it would be widely known and more popular than free beer if you could reboot your home router to reset your quota :) I would be a fan too.

Although you would think a home router should be fine to run for quite a long time since it doesn't really have to do *that* much. I suppose they are loaded up with a few bells and whistles to keep up with their competition and get a bit bloated.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm not a power user enough to dent any quotas too. There are only so many cat videos on the Interwebs.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Had NBN enabled at my place today (50/20 plan)!

Optus supplied a new Sagem modem, supersedes my existing Sagem modem that was used for resale aDSL. But they did the remote service swap at 10am (Google Wifi told me what time the internet failed) and it recovered soon after...existing modem does PPPoE (aDSL) and IPoE (NBN) natively.

When I got home, I removed the aDSL splitter & moved the phone to the RJ12 modem port. No dial tone straight away, but within minutes the NBN connection reset & the phone started working.

Getting a consistent 46Mbps/18Mbps on the iPhone, wifi'd to the Sagem (all this shit is in the building on the street) but when in the house (connecting via NetComm Ethernet over Power) to the Google Wifi, speeds drop considerably...something like 10Mbps/10Mbps.

I used to blame my aDSL for speed but seems it might more likely be these 5 year old EoP boxes. Regardless, speed is definitely faster on NBN.

Will look into new EoP boxes but man, the whole migration to NBN experience is painless!

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had NBN enabled at my place today (50/20 plan)!

Optus supplied a new Sagem modem, supersedes my existing Sagem modem that was used for resale aDSL. But they did the remote service swap at 10am (Google Wifi told me what time the internet failed) and it recovered soon after...existing modem does PPPoE (aDSL) and IPoE (NBN) natively.

When I got home, I removed the aDSL splitter & moved the phone to the RJ12 modem port. No dial tone straight away, but within minutes the NBN connection reset & the phone started working.

Getting a consistent 46Mbps/18Mbps on the iPhone, wifi'd to the Sagem (all this shit is in the building on the street) but when in the house (connecting via NetComm Ethernet over Power) to the Google Wifi, speeds drop considerably...something like 10Mbps/10Mbps.

I used to blame my aDSL for speed but seems it might more likely be these 5 year old EoP boxes. Regardless, speed is definitely faster on NBN.

Will look into new EoP boxes but man, the whole migration to NBN experience is painless!
Well that’s something you don’t hear every day.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for end of 2019 when we’re due, hope to have a similar experience

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
We've had a very similar experience, we swapped about a year ago and it was painless and speed/streaming has gone through the roof.

It's still not the right solution for a country of this size but it does bring us in line with Estonia so things are looking up.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah but nothing new. Building & operating a network is freaking expensive & some users are overwhelmingly making more use of it than others.

Whilst I would agree with streaming video being necessarily out of the ordinary pattern usage, someone viewing 4K movies ain’t really paying their way. Or improving their neighbour’s internet experience

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Fark. RIP net neutrality then. May as well just go the whole way and limit Netflix to those with a high enough social rating score....

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Most telcos have been perpetually pissed that they have built loads of cool infrastructure that content providers like Netflix, Google, BookFace etc, etc have taken the cream off the top and built a business around and owed them SFA.

They have been looking for their cut and dabble in content occasionally, and generally unsuccessfully in the end, but the lions share of what rides in those streams hasn't been something they have ever been able to capitalise on.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So it's not just a brain fart?

There aint no wriggle room to increase retail pricing. Not compared to other countries or utilities.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Fark. RIP net neutrality then. May as well just go the whole way and limit Netflix to those with a high enough social rating score....
Net neutrality just means some ride roughshod over the top of others.

No-one can build a network to please everyone, fair use is a thing.