Neck Brace

Dale_B

Likes Bikes
My leatt brace sits on nicely with my 661 pressure suit on, i havent found that it is different than just wearing it with our amour. and its comfortable still.

cheers

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just wearing a neck brace wont prevent shoulder injuries, it's designd to break your collarbone instead of your neck, but i know which one i'd rather. i think people dont wear other armour because cut's heal and bone grows back, but spinalcords dont. and because everyone dose it so they dont wanna be left off the bandwagon, might make them look slow or something

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
just wearing a neck brace wont prevent shoulder injuries, it's designd to break your collarbone instead of your neck, but i know which one i'd rather. i think people dont wear other armour because cut's heal and bone grows back, but spinalcords dont. and because everyone dose it so they dont wanna be left off the bandwagon, might make them look slow or something
Hey stringbean........sometimes bones don't grow back...i.e. mend.:(

placebo

Likes Dirt
Ryan Lennox broke a cervical vertebrae (I think it was at a state round ?) and drove himself to hospital afterward because of the pain. Lucky not to be a paraplegic. The Ti cage he was in afterwards looked painful and awkward. The thick scar from the base of his skull down into his back makes a person think.

I know one person who broke there neck riding downhill here in NZ personally , also Vanessa Quinn who rode for Dirt and MS Intense broke her neck , she was one of the first to bring the leatt brace into the pro scene after her recovery.
also we had a guy in our club go down hard on his head over a 20 footer and now he cant ride and has been pretty sore and bunged up for over a year.

so yeah its a real threat.

Neck braces where every where at the last DH round here in NZ. every 2nd person was running one. mainly the younger up and coming pros and the groms.

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
Does ANYONE! no anyone that has ever broken their neck riding DH?
Yep, I managed a compression fracture in mine after coming down on my head a few years ago.

A good mate smashed his neck at a Sunshine series race and spent 8 months with a halo vest bolted to his head. I drove him to hospital and then watched him go 8 months in constant pain and hardly any sleep.

Then his best mate from school broke a bone in his neck about 5 or so months ago. He spent 3 months in a hard brace and now has his bike for sale.

All 3 while riding.

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
i dont run one and have been umming and arring about it.
i wear a pressure suit when racing but usually dont run any armour otherwise. yes silly but i figure that when im racing im pushing myself just that bit harder and in turn have more chance of injuring myself then. im running a Thor pressure suit and have some big chunks missing from both the chest plate and spinal protection so im glad to be wearing it occasionally... i find it doesnt restrict me at all. i have tried on a mates neckbrace without armour and found it restricted my vision because my helmet moved on my head.
just my take though.

GUmtber

Likes Bikes
I've been considering the out lay as I'm looking at racing dh and have aquired all the equipment I need. Fullface, armour jacket etc but not a brace. Speaking to a few friends who race it's becoming more clear to me that it is to become a perminent part of my kit. I guess I want to walk after a major off. As mentioned earlier I would prefer to break a collor bone over a neck!

If you feel the need to run a neck brace yet still wear a flimsy little D2 helmet then you are nothing more than an image conscious, posing wanker. If what you are doing is that dangerous you need a neck brace wouldn't you at least put your head in an Australian standards approved motorcycle helmet to protect yourself? Some people do and that's good. But this neck brace thing is turning into something that all the spoilt little rich kids with no talent can use to make them look cooler. Seriously the sport is turning into a fashion show...

Josh222

Likes Dirt
Have a look at TBSM, they've got some
Never go to TBSM I rang them up they said they had them I went from Mosman (where I live) all the way out to Freaking Mortdale and they they said they didnt have 1 SO NEVER GO TO TBSM

Last edited:

ben1

Likes Bikes
If you feel the need to run a neck brace yet still wear a flimsy little D2 helmet then you are nothing more than an image conscious, posing wanker. If what you are doing is that dangerous you need a neck brace wouldn't you at least put your head in an Australian standards approved motorcycle helmet to protect yourself? Some people do and that's good. But this neck brace thing is turning into something that all the spoilt little rich kids with no talent can use to make them look cooler. Seriously the sport is turning into a fashion show...

couldn't agree more

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
You're entitled to your opinion.......but! Calling people posing wankers for running a neckbrace is pretty immature just because they choose not to run a full moto helmet. A motohelmet is obviously going to be better, but some people don't like the extra weight on their heads.
Me perosnally, I think anyone not wearing armour is stupid, but that is their choice. I intend to buy a neckbrace IF I can continue to race. But I don't intend to buy a Moto helmet at this stage.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
(in reply to the dude hating on TLD's being used with neck braces)

TLD's are great helmets. not for motorbikes, for for mountainbikes, they are.

-the reduced weight over a moto helmet relieves stress on the neck
-on a dh rig, you dont need the helmet to have the crush strength you need when a 100kg motorbike falls on you.
-the way a helmet works is by having the foam compress, dampening the impact, spreading the load over a larger area. A tld's firm foam padding and lightweight shell for protection is perfect for doing this, without having the huge shell weight that the motorbike helmets have to support crush forces. No, it wont supprt a motorbike;s weight falling on it at speed, but thats not what it is meant to do.

Im not a huge fan of TLD... not defending it out of loyalty, because after 3 TLD helmets i believe they are made pretty damn poorly. but there is currently no better option for DH.

Last edited:

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im not a huge fan of TLD... not defending it out of loyalty, because after 3 TLD helmets i believe they are made pretty damn poorly. but there is currently no better option for DH.
So brands like THE, Fox, Giro, 661 arent out there along with a host of smaller brands?

Would it be possible to incorporate a Neck brace into body armour? Say have a neck brace molded into the top of body armour?

Timmy B

Likes Bikes
Never go to TBSM I rang them up they said they had them I went from Mosman (where I live) all the way out to Freaking Mortdale and they they said they didnt have 1 SO NEVER GO TO TBSM
alot of the stock mortdale have on their website they don't actually have at their shop.
i went to check out a helmet they had on their website and they told me to order it then come in to pick it up.
i was a bit pissed but wat can you do?

also i've seen FRO neckbraces for $500, or there abouts.