Need a home in Canberra

betelnut

Likes Dirt
I have a new job starting end of January in Canberra, so looking forward to spending a hoel lot of time at stromlo and majura..

On the off chance anyone has a house to rent, I'm looking for a 2-3 bedrrom house somewhere in the inner North area.. PM if you can help - the Canberra rental market is nuts. Also willing to rent out our 2 bedroom home in Heidleberg in Melbourne if anyone wants to do a 2-3 year home swap.

cheers

marcus

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
one bedroom place

I have a mate who has a nice one bedroom place in Civic that will be available on a short term basis for a few months. Might be helpful while you are looking for a longer term solution.

My advice is to start looking now cause it will only get worse in Jan/Feb

StormFire

Likes Dirt
I learnt earlier in the year that February definitely isn't the time to be house hunting in Canberra, given the huge influx of recent graduates lining themselves up for the public service. However having said that I'll probably be going through the exact same thing this coming January if I choose not to renew my current lease (which looks like that may be the case)

The housing market here isn't insane to the extent that you lose all hope, but you do have to be willing to put in a fair amount of effort and put in plenty of applications before you get a few bites. And it does depend a lot on your situation though, if you have a rental history and what not it puts you a step ahead of everyone else, though if 4 guys rock up looking at the house most real estate agents tend to cringe at the mention of shared housing. Although it just really comes down to who else is putting in applications for the same places.

If you look around now or early January you'll no doubt get a jump start on the pack.

betelnut

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the responses - I'm a home owner in Melbourne with a 3 year contract in Canberra so I should appear as a good candidate I spose.

I'm seriously thinking about taking an offer on a 6 month lease even though I have to pay rent for a month whehn I'm not there.. should be easier to find something long term if I wait until Jule 2008 and have a chance to look around a bit more..