Need a short list for 29ers to test ride

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,

Just need some suggestions. I'll be choosing based on how they feel in the test ride.

Am 185cm, 84kg

After:

Carbon Hardtail 29"
XT Drivetrain/ Sram equivilant
Enough give in the frame that I won't die in an 8hr solo
Would like to spend <3000 if possible.

I've already had a long term test on an alloy giant xtc 29er. Handled well enough but way to harsh to spend 8hrs on.

Suggest away!

-Andrew

RDH

Likes Dirt
Merida Big 9 Carbon 3000-D? They currently retail for approx. 4k but when the 2013 models land I guess the 2012s would probably come down in price. As for the suppleness of the ride, I have only ridden 2 laps of Stromlo on one so do not know how it would go on long rides. They were 2 very pleasant laps though.

0psi

Eats Squid
I just put a deposit on a Big Nine Team. Can't wait.

If you shop around you should be able to get the Merida Big Nine 3000 for close to your budget. Possibly have a look at the Scott Scale as well. No idea what they retail for but I've heard good things.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Have you tried the composite xtc? I spent 5 1/2 hours on one yesterday and thought it was kind to my rear end. I did a lot of smooth trails and bike paths but it was better than I expected on the rocky bits.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
if you are looking for comfort then i would be looking FS or steel or titanium frame. Dont get me wrong - you can get frames that are more compliant than others of the same metal but if you are looking for something for the long haul - I wouldnt go carbon HT. A FS carbon wont be in the price range new but look secondhand or go a slightly cheaper build and upgrade as things wear out.
Otherwise for 3 grand get a titanium frame and build it up with secondhand and cheap online stuff. Seriously you aint going to get much for 3 grand new. Just my thoughts. There are alot of carbon frames out there and you can pay anything for $350 to $2000 for a new frame. There is a large carbon SC HT frame on ebay for a grand - add wheels and 1 x 9/10 and you are away for under 3.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blowing my own trumpet once again, but if you like building bikes, the Euro is amazing value at the moment and you can do something like this for $3000 if you know where to look and can wait 4 weeks for deliveries....

LTK023 20" Frame, SID XX XLOC fork, C29ssmax, 1x10 XT Ispec with XTR Shadow + and XT with Icetech Brakes, Thomson Post / Stem, SLR Saddle, KCNC Bling everywhere.

10.05kg as pictured. I would rate this as very comfy for a hardtail, but haven't ridden it for 8 hours, done 3 easily though.

If you buy all the bits you want first, no need to upgrade. Unfortunately, the joy with doing this has lead me to now building a road bike......

swanny81

Likes Bikes
I'm currently piecing together a china29er as well (planning on exactly the same frame, LTK023 in 20" size)

At this stage, I'm on track for a sub $2500 build with Sram XX cranks/derailleurs/shifters, Sid XX WC fork, Elixir SLC brakes, Thomson seatpost, Syncros carbon bars, Ritchey WCS stem, etc.
Mostly this is using second hand parts in excellent (or brand new) condition.

Not a bad way to go if you are happy putting it together yourself?

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
if you are looking for comfort then i would be looking FS or steel or titanium frame. Dont get me wrong - you can get frames that are more compliant than others of the same metal but if you are looking for something for the long haul - I wouldnt go carbon HT. A FS carbon wont be in the price range new but look secondhand or go a slightly cheaper build and upgrade as things wear out.
Otherwise for 3 grand get a titanium frame and build it up with secondhand and cheap online stuff. Seriously you aint going to get much for 3 grand new. Just my thoughts. There are alot of carbon frames out there and you can pay anything for $350 to $2000 for a new frame. There is a large carbon SC HT frame on ebay for a grand - add wheels and 1 x 9/10 and you are away for under 3.
i agree with this.

I picked up a o9 carbon hardtail frame for $250+50 postage on rotorburn about 1month and abit ago.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've already had a long term test on an alloy giant xtc 29er. Handled well enough but way to harsh to spend 8hrs on.
just some feedback on how you are deciding on bike.

re HT and riding for 8 hours = harsh, I've rode the Giant's XTC & composite, GaryF, Yeti and a few others (usually ride the XTC 29 in 100k events), it's simple forget about sitting on the seat and getting a smooth ride, it's aren't going to happen on any of these models without maybe 2.35 | 25/30psi tubeless on rear, even then if you don't ride it like a wild horse i.e. off the seat regularly vs the fat boy Harley sit down and pedal approach then I think a HT is harsh.

Last edited:

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Some advice from left field!
I regularly do 5 and 6 hour epic rides and have been riding a full susser for many years.
I recently noticed a problem with my frame and have had to stop using that and get onto my 26 steel hardtail.
Being a well entrenched full suss rider I struggled with it massively at first.
I bought one of these Use suspension seatposts and I can easily do all day epics and events on my 26 hardtail while I sort out my frame problem.

http://www.use1.com/product/000056/sumo-xcr-carbon-/

This could easily make most hardtails comfortable again.

You may laugh but it worked for me and it's quite subtle unlike most posts like this.

JP

Likes Dirt
Some advice from left field!
I regularly do 5 and 6 hour epic rides and have been riding a full susser for many years.
I recently noticed a problem with my frame and have had to stop using that and get onto my 26 steel hardtail.
Being a well entrenched full suss rider I struggled with it massively at first.
I bought one of these Use suspension seatposts and I can easily do all day epics and events on my 26 hardtail while I sort out my frame problem.

http://www.use1.com/product/000056/sumo-xcr-carbon-/

This could easily make most hardtails comfortable again.

You may laugh but it worked for me and it's quite subtle unlike most posts like this.
I have the exact same post and I loved it...until it got broken somewhere on the Oaks sniggle. Highly recommended.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Ouch I'm 100kgs and have broken many seatposts before on my hardtail.

P1090524.jpg

Only had this Use post 2 weeks.
Hopefully this one survives but I'm very pleased with it so far.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,

Thanks for the tips so far, I should probably clarrify my defenition of 'comfort'. My prefered race length is solo 24hr, for which I use a 2011 26" Giant Anthem (Carbon).

I have in the past used a 26" Alloy Scott Scale for a solo 12hr.

My point is that, a normal person and I have very different defenitions of what 'comfort' means! I do know what I am getting myself into when talking about using a hardtail for a long race, the only point I seek to make is that there is a noticable (not necesarily massive) difference in the ride quality of various carbon frames, and I would prefer one of the more forgiving kind - that said a hardtail is obviously going to hurt eventually!

The Composite XTC is the current leading candidate, (because its the only geometry I've tried). I have heard nice things about the equivilant Scott Scale 29er (Scale 30 i think). Also the Merida has got a few good reviews in this thread.

The China29er is interesting, I've never built a bike before. I would only go down that path if the frame had a buttload of positive reviews (I'm warry of anything which doesnt have a recognised brand on it from a QA/safety perspective)

Any more tips, keep them coming!

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Definitely know where you are coming from.

I looked for a few months for a carbon 29er HT (I was looking used) and I demoed everything I could and atteneded all the manufacturer ride days.

The XTC is by far the stiffest (and alas harshest) frame out there, its razor sharp and a great XCO weapon, but not a marathon bike imho

I found the Avanti Competitior, Scott scale comparable and quite comforatable to ride. The Specialized Stumpy HT is worth a look, but a touch harsher than the Scott and Avanti.

The best ride I experienced was a Cannondale Flash - nice ride indeed and very comfy, I think they quote equivalent of 10mm travel in the rear with their flex stays

I ended up with a 2012 Merida Big Nine carbon 3000-D and I love it ! Its quite compliant, but to be fair I am also running a 27.2mm seatpost in carbon as well (recommend these and look at bikes with a 27.2mm seat post for more compliance)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is it the norm for 24 hour solo racers to have more than one bike at an event? I.e. a fast, light HT and maybe more compliant Full Suser?

Propagate

Likes Dirt
I picked up a used Scott Scale Pro fir sub $2k. I love it. I'm no racer and came from riding duallys for the past 10 years, but I regularly do 100+k epic rides and 7+ hours saddle time with no discomfort. It's my favourite bike and I ride it for everything now, after selling my dually. It's awesome for big k rides but it's also great fun on just about every kind of trail I ride.

RoyAL

Squid
Santa Cruz Highball Carbon - awesome frame. Don't belive the reviews about being harsh, I went from a Scott Scale Carbon to the Highball and Im amazed at how supple and smooth it feels. A friend went to the Highball Carbon from a Niner Alloy and he couldn't believe how smooth the Higball felt. Very nice frame. Mine is the standard XT build from Santa Cruz with WTB Frequency i19 wheelset. Great hardtail!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And where could we get one of these for anywhere near $3000 which is the point of this thread?