Need a Single speed rear hub, reccomendations please

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Im in the market for some new hoops
but 1st off i need some hubs.

Having a Zerode Pinion bike i am able to go to a single speed hub on the rear
12 x 142
what are your recommendations? I would like the front hub to be the same brand

Maybe straight pull, as i like the look of them too :)

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Do you want one with plenty of engagement points or does it not matter too much with a pinion?

Fewer Poe hub would be a Hope offering, otherwise a Hadley or an Onyx are what I’ve seen other Zerode riders using.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Straight pull and single speed is tough. I can't think of anyone who does that combo.

I would go a Industry 9 Torch. 120 Poe and there are endcap boost adapters to future proof it.

The Hope make a 88 poe single speed. Again boost endcaps available.

Project 321 G2. 216 or 144 poe but there have been issues reported with the quiet version of the 216 poe.

Onyx and Hadley have already been mentioned.

I've got 142 versions of the I9, Hope and P321 G1. I like them all but its a tradeoff. I9 is lightest and most expensive. Hope is cheapest and heaviest and also has crap oem bearings but no issues other than that.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Hope trials ss is alot more robust than the normal ones. Mines 5yrs old on original bearings, and was my daily driver for a year.

check out chris king and profile too :)

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Do you want one with plenty of engagement points or does it not matter too much with a pinion?

Fewer Poe hub would be a Hope offering, otherwise a Hadley or an Onyx are what I’ve seen other Zerode riders using.
More poe the better.
As there is a free hub thing in the gbox
Links on where to buy? cheers

moorey

call me Mia
i9 are a pricey, yet very sweet hub. 120 poe. I have a SS wheelset with I9 hubs that have sat in the rafters for 18 months waiting to go on something....but I’ll run 4-5 gears. Too nice a set to waste.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Great hubs but I can’t get over the fact they make a wheelset with proprietry aluminium spokes........ thats a stupid bloody idea

Oddjob

More poe the better.
As there is a free hub thing in the gbox
Links on where to buy? cheers
If thats the case buy the Onyx hubs in the trading area, near instant engagement. The ones for sale come with a xd driver but someone is willing to swap for hg and you can get a cheap single speed cog. They will also cost less than the everything bar the Hope ss hubs.

Last edited:

discofrank

Likes Dirt
If thats the case buy the Onyx hubs in the trading area, near instant engagement. The ones for sale come with a xd driver but someone is willing to swap for hg and you can get a cheap single speed cog. They will also cost less than the everything bar the Hope ss hubs.

What's the hg?
The only hg I knows is mercury

Oddjob

Hg is the short name for a Shimano driver, similar to xd being Sram.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci

Won’t have the benefit of less dish stiffer wheel of a single speed hub.
The Hope trials hubs have a lot of drag don’t they.
I9 are sweet, a Mate is running the single speed ones on his Zerode. I’m running a conventional one on mine, purely because I already owned it.
The Pinion hubs are pretty nice.
There’s instant engagement hubs, can’t recall the name, but they’re unfortunately heavy and probably expensive, no point adding unsprung weight. Might be he True Precision ones, I can’t recall.
The project hubs look good, but I’d check if the flanges are as far apart spaced as I9 single speed hub and the others. Wheels stiffness.
Profile have one with over 200poe, nice but heavy.
Can’t recall what others there are. I9 is a safe bet but.
I run Tune fromt hub as they were sort of the lightest when I bought it. Couple of years now. No point running a heavy fromt hub either, it’s just a shell and bearings. Nobody will ever know you do t have same brand. Tune do a single speed rear too, not over 100 clicks but I don’t think.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DT Swiss do a 240S Singlespeed in 12 x 142. Centrelock mount brake though. Nearly perfect symmetrical hub flanges on them though which is super nice, and room for a few spacers on the mini cassette to adjust your chainline.