Need Advice- Mounting a rear brake to a track frame

mitchg

Cannon Fodder
Looking at purchasing a second hand Boardman TK9.2, would it be possible to mount a rear brake to the frame although its not drilled and theres no brake bridge. Is there possibly another mounting system or way to mount it. see the photo. cheers

Snip20160518_1.jpg

redbruce

Eats Squid
Looking at purchasing a second hand Boardman TK9.2, would it be possible to mount a rear brake to the frame although its not drilled and theres no brake bridge. Is there possibly another mounting system or way to mount it. see the photo. cheers

View attachment 328547
Would appear to need a long reach caliper at best, and then assuming carbon seat stay bridge is suitable for drilling a mount.

As such, will likely produce poor performance.

If you really need a rear brake for your purpose, suggest buying frame engineered to suit.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Alloy frame. You can drill through the wishbone easily enough but remember it isn't lugged or pre drilled so you are relying on the frame thickness top and bottom to keep a caliper in place. In theory would work but would be a bit sketchy. The boardman frames are a cracker. Either find a different frame to suit or drill and have a crack. Brakes like LDC or Paul will suit.

Or.

Learn how to do skids on a fixie.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Front brake only isn't enough?
I used to only use a front on my commuter, but if your not running fixed it doesn't give you a back up if a cable snaps.

The correct answer is to use a coaster hub.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
usage?
If fixed front only is fine. If S/S...when was the last time anybody broke a well fitted, properly maintained brake cable?
Do a skid.
That said, i have seen bolt on bridges (ben's cyclery I think) for track conversions.
You could make/have made a custom mount similar to them depending on fabrication skillz.