Need graphics program.

EastsideZero

Likes Dirt
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good Graphics/Drawing program. MS Paint just don't cut the mustard!

To be used for general drawing,painting & maybe a bit of photo manipulation.
It's a big ask but around $300 would be good.
Nothing overly complicated either 'cos my 9yo daughter will be the main user.(then again kids & technology, She'll probably pick it up quicker than me!)

Yes Photoshop rocks but please don't say just get a bodgy copy, "piracy's bad..HmmKay"

thanks in advance,
Mat

Tomas

my mum says im cool
You can get photoshop CS3 for that much with a student ID.

Are you a full-time student?

EastsideZero

Likes Dirt
You could get Photoshop Elements for that much with a Student ID...
No, i'm not a student, but even if i did get a student copy i don't think i am allowed tu use a student copy for commercial use if i ever got off my arse and started makin' art again.

I will look into that "inkscape" program like you suggested Alchemist, had a quick look at it ,lots of big words on that page, might take me a while to work out what the go is with that one:) .

Keep the suggestions comin' people.

thanks,
Mat

TheT

Likes Bikes
Yeah id go for photoshop, just remeber to take you daughter along because you can usually get an accademic version heaps cheaper than a full version.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I'd also recommend Photoshop. I have the CS suite and it is very good. I also have Photoshop Elements 2.0. It is also pretty good, and a fair bit cheaper. Not as many bells and whistles as Photoshop but it's really all you need for painting, drawing and photo manipulation and touch ups.