Need help choosing a new laptop

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm currently on a Dell (XP13 I think) and the laptop itself is fine, but as soon as the 1 year warranty period finished it started having issues which is pretty damned annoying.
Although if it's for work and they'll pay for an ongoing service plan you'd probably be ok

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Lenovo E490 is 45% off until the end of the month, supports an m2 SSD as well as a 3.5” disk. E490s is up to 40% off, is a thinner more portable version that only supports an SSD (which is no big loss). By the time you add the extras like 3 yr warranty, dock, bag, etc. you’ll get plenty of change from $2k.

These are 14” laptops but there’s bugger all difference in physical size with a 13”, I’m 48 and wouldn’t to be looking at anything smaller!

Buy direct from Lenovo, as the laptops they sell through Hardly Nermal and the like are the consumer stuff, lower quality and fixed specs.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Lenovo E490 is 45% off until the end of the month, supports an m2 SSD as well as a 3.5” disk.
While strangely on topic, check if this is either an M2 SSD and/or a 3.5 drive.

My X280 has a M2 slot but is too close to the edge to fit a 60mm SSD. The M2 slot is intended for a 42mm internal mobile network dongle and not a drive. There are hacks to use a M2 interface cabled to a CF slot I think to go for dual SSD's if you are really keen.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
While strangely on topic, check if this is either an M2 SSD and/or a 3.5 drive.

My X280 has a M2 slot but is too close to the edge to fit a 60mm SSD. The M2 slot is intended for a 42mm internal mobile network dongle and not a drive. There are hacks to use a M2 interface cabled to a CF slot I think to go for dual SSD's if you are really keen.
Definitely M2 SSD + 3.5”: https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-edge/E490/p/22TP2TEE490

“Up to 2 drives (1 x M.2 SSD and 1 x HDD)
  • HDD / SATA 6.0Gb/s: up to 2TB 5400rpm
  • M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2: Up to 512GB”

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
My think pad cops a hammering, the site managers forever dropping and knocking theirs and they last. Battery life is incredible too. Just get a wireless mouse for yourself to make it useful. The stylus and screen response is good too, my home pc monitor is touch screen but the think pad is much smoother.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Should we chat...? Unless you want gumtree prices :)
Sure, send me a PM if you're keen - it is only base model from that year though. Otherwise I'm cleaning it up and putting it up for sale later in the week anyway. /end hijack

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Lenovo custum order placed.
Got a chunky discount too.
Much gratitude for all the advice

Intel Core i5-8265U (4C, 1.6 / 3.9GHz, 6MB)
●Windows 10 Home 64
●Windows 10 Home 64 English
●8GBx1
●512GB SSD M.2 (2280) PCIe NVMe Opal
●13.3" FHD (1920x1080) IPS, On-cell Touch
●Integrated Intel UHD Graphics
●Silver
●Non-backlit (English)
●720p
●Firmware TPM2.0
●45Wh
●65W USB-C
●Intel 9560 ac, 2x2 + BT5.0
●13.3"FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-Glare, Multi-touch, Aluminium, Silver
●Intel UHD Graphics 620

MasterOfReality

After forever
Lenovo's are solid. I had a work P50 that I spilt an entire tumbler of water on the keyboard. Shut it down, let all the water drain out then stuck it upstairs under the fan (middle of summer in Central QLD so the unused rooms of the house used to get pretty hot) for the night. Fired it up the next morning and it went for another 18 months before the fans shit the bed. By that stage it was 3 years old and I got a replacement.

I currently have a Lenovo X1 Extreme, some issues with the intel graphics and nvidia card but apart from that pretty happy with Lenovo.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
It was @Plankosaurus 's wife that really captured my old mans' imagination. Something about being abused and treated rough, but still getting the job done :p

(You can read whatever you want into that...but I'm strictly speaking about good, dependable I.T. equipment.......ya weirdos...)