Need help from a fitter/turner or CNC wiz

teK--

Eats Squid
RB brains trust!

I need a couple of small spacers made up out of aluminium for rear suspension. (need slightly oversized compared to the OEM ones).

So the accuracy need to be down to 0.05mm (1/20 of a mm). I'm not sure if a fitter and turner can achieve this or does it need to be CNC?

Let me know please if you can or know someone who could help. Happy to deal with anyone in Australia and have the parts posted.

Cheers.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Anyone with a lathe can sort you out, doesnt need to be computer controlled. Ask Stoo very nicely??

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
RB brains trust!

I need a couple of small spacers made up out of aluminium for rear suspension. (need slightly oversized compared to the OEM ones).

So the accuracy need to be down to 0.05mm (1/20 of a mm). I'm not sure if a fitter and turner can achieve this or does it need to be CNC?

Let me know please if you can or know someone who could help. Happy to deal with anyone in Australia and have the parts posted.

Cheers.
If you still have the original parts any engineering shop should be able to sort this. I had a similar request a couple of years ago. First attempt ended inn a misfire. I would highly recommend meeting face to face with the shop to describe exactly what you want. My second attempt, using this method, was successful.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
^^what he said^^

Its a dead simple job, but they’d need to measure the parts for you. Verynears aren’t really ideal, and a set of good micrometers is expensive.

Shouldn’t be too expensive t get the guys to turn em up, can’t imagine it taking too much time as long as they have small enough stock

phillywa

Likes Dirt
Im a fitter machinist by trade but unfortunately, im in perth.

Any good machinist will make you spacers at that tolerance, its no biggie. They wouldn't need a cnc to do it.i If they did, they would charge you an arm and a leg for it, i.e. making the program, setting up the tools ect ect.
Making the spacers up would be a 10min job for us machinists.

haulrs

Likes Bikes
Try gonzlab, in west Heidelberg... has mad skills and a lathe... instagram or Facebook search.... Vaughn street from memory

Sent from my 3geesus using Tapatalk( it's ifail)

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Mr gonzolab sounds like he would be perfect. Will report back!

teK--

Eats Squid
Update; whilst waiting to arrange a permanent solution I managed to find some steel precision shim washers in 0.1mm thickness. One of those on the side of each spacer managed to pack them out perfectly:

IMG_20171202_133141.jpg

Unfortunately Gonzolab couldn't hook me up I think they are just too busy this time of year with bigger projects which is understandable. Had another offer from a Rotorburner as well to CNC some new spacers up for a reasonable cost but by then I'd arranged to try my luck by ordering a brand new pivot bolt and spacer set.

Fitted them up and so far so good.

Thanks again everyone!