Need help on new back wheel - MTB

nata

Likes Dirt
G'day all.

I have a scott reflex 35 and I need a new back wheel as it seems like the hub may be stuffed. I may be wrong so here is the issue. When the bike is upside down and the back break is fully engaged. Then I put pressure on the chain by pressing with my hand on the peddle: the outside wheel actually moves 6-7mm towards me. I can also explain it this way, when I peddle on flat at around 40km/h and puch hard I can actually feel the back fishtailing due to this movement.

If I would by a new wheel what whould be the best for around the $150-200 mark on http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=1055

else

any ideas on what the issue may be?

my bike specks:
Frame: Reflex Fully Frame Scott LCR shock remote control 110mm travel - Forks: Rock Shox Dart 2 with Lockout 100mm travel - Gears: Shimano LX front and Shimano Deore LX rear derailleurs - Shifters: Shimano Deore R-fire plus - Chainset: Shimano FC-M442 with 44x32x22 tooth rings - Brakes: Hayes Sole - Wheels: Alex TD-24 Disc rims built on Scott Disc Team front and Shimano FH-M475-L rear hubs - Tyres: Scott OXYD - Handlebars: Aricle YC-210-601 Scott Comp 1 - Stem: Scott Comp - Saddle: SCT-10 SL Reflex 07 - Seatpost: Scott Team - Pedals/Extras: LU-998-S pedals

regards and thanks

nata

T-Rex

Template denier
Sounds like your bearings are stuffed. If so, you just need to replace them, or if they are cone type bearings you might just be able to tighten the cones a bit.

nata

Likes Dirt
Cool

So by that you mean pull the ball bearings out, the 6-7 and replace them with new one or from the hum on the old bent wheel? I'll give it a go!

thanks!

T-Rex

Template denier
So by that you mean pull the ball bearings out, the 6-7 and replace them with new one or from the hum on the old bent wheel? I'll give it a go!

thanks!
Before you get too carried away first just try tightening the cones (you need to pull the wheel out of the frame) and then spinning the wheel in your hands. If it spins freely and you don't feel any roughness through the axle, problem solved. If it spins freely but feels a bit rough, go to the bearing shop and get some new ball bearings.

frensham

Likes Dirt
You need to ascertain the type of bearings in your hub. If they are cup and cone then you might just need to adjust the cones to remove the free play you are experiencing. If your bearings are the sealed type you can replace the whole bearing assembly - best take the wheel to a shop to work out which bearings you need. Have a look here for advice: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

nata

Likes Dirt
thanks for all the help

cool thanks all for the help so far,

the bearings are not sealed so I can replace them easy,

question is how do I go about to tighten the cone...?

cheers and thanks

T-Rex

Template denier
Check out the link in Frenshams post above to the Park web site, it looks like a pretty good explanation.

frensham

Likes Dirt
cool thanks all for the help so far,
the bearings are not sealed so I can replace them easy,
question is how do I go about to tighten the cone...?
cheers and thanks
Cone spanners - go to your LBS to get the bearings and the tools - easy job then.