Need help with tyre rotation direction

2DIE

Likes Dirt
I bought some Vredestein Spotted Cat tyres from CRC but I can't work out the tyre rotation direction.

I've look at Google images and people have them installed both ways, there isn't anything on the tyre with a direction either.

Should the rotation be to the left with the wide part of the block making contact first..

Or should the rotation be to the right with the narrow part of the block making contact first?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My guess would be narrow part of the block making contact first. I did have one tyre that had reverse direction if it was on the front or the rear.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Left for my money. Actually, my money is on right now I think about it.

Last edited:

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I'd say that the sidewall in the photo is drive side, that way the big edges are on the braking edge and the small ones are rolling. I know the ramped edges face the front on Minions.

2DIE

Likes Dirt
Here are some shots courtesy of the interwebs. Looks like front points forward and rear points backwards when viewed from the top down.

Front
https://nevcragg.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/img_42621.jpg

Back
https://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Vredestein-Spotted-Cat-29er-Tread-2.jpg
These rears point forward

I think you would want them to point backwards for acceleration grip on loose surfaces?

I have the front on pointing forward, I haven't put the rear on yet.

I'll put it on today (not sure which way) and write to the manafacture to confirm although like most big companies I don't expect a reply.

2DIE

Likes Dirt
Do you want them to brake or accelerate? The wide side will push/stop you best.
I won't have a front brake so I'm not sure what's best for the back in that case. Probably for braking but I assume that will wear them a lot quicker as well.

*edit*
I guess with 1 brake I should have the rear pointing forward for the extra stopping power.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
These rears point forward
Oh no, well, I'm fresh out of ideas now. toss and coin maybe ?

I think you would want them to point backwards for acceleration grip on loose surfaces?
That makes sense.

It may not make a as big a difference. I have some Larsen's on backwards which seems to work well once they have worn a bit.

I do like rotation markers though :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I bought some Vredestein Spotted Cat tyres from CRC but I can't work out the tyre rotation direction.

I've look at Google images and people have them installed both ways, there isn't anything on the tyre with a direction either.

Should the rotation be to the left with the wide part of the block making contact first..

Or should the rotation be to the right with the narrow part of the block making contact first?

Go left.

The blocks look like little fighter planes.... Pointy end in the direction of rotation.
I was thinking space invaders or an 8 bit dick and balls graphic.

The tyres look like they will roll pretty well on hard pack.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Rotation markers place unfair restraint on the tyre. They should be free to roll whichever way they feel.
You are man of no rules living big, wild and free. No rotation markers will contain him :heh:
I bet you even leave the toilet seat up.