Need MTB riding suggestions for close to Melbourne CBD

preemo

Likes Dirt
Hi, I'm going down from Canberra to Melbourne for the weekend with the family. I've managed to convince the wife to let me take the mountain bike with me as long as I'm not gone too long riding. I generally am an early bird so can get up and ride and be back before the family stirs.

I'm looking for suggestions of places to ride close to the city? I don't want to spend too much time away from the family so no more than 30-40 minutes drive would be ideal. I'll be taking down either an Anthem or a Trance depending on the riding.

Suggestions and local knowledge would be very much appreciated.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi, I'm going down from Canberra to Melbourne for the weekend with the family. I've managed to convince the wife to let me take the mountain bike with me as long as I'm not gone too long riding. I generally am an early bird so can get up and ride and be back before the family stirs.

I'm looking for suggestions of places to ride close to the city? I don't want to spend too much time away from the family so no more than 30-40 minutes drive would be ideal. I'll be taking down either an Anthem or a Trance depending on the riding.

Suggestions and local knowledge would be very much appreciated.
Welcome! Whilst I don't ride them often at all there are the Yarra Trails which are worth a look.
Google it as they're close to the CBD and you can get a decent quick ride in. Someone's bound to add more detail as they're not my local trails.

preemo

Likes Dirt
Welcome! Whilst I don't ride them often at all there are the Yarra Trails which are worth a look.
Google it as they're close to the CBD and you can get a decent quick ride in. Someone's bound to add more detail as they're not my local trails.
thanks The Reverend. I'll give them a google.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
The You Yangs are about 30 minutes drive from the city. Good fun selection of trails. There are two areas, Kurrajong is more XC and Stockyards is the gravity side. My preference is for Stockyards and I'd take the Trance.

preemo

Likes Dirt
The You Yangs are about 30 minutes drive from the city. Good fun selection of trails. There are two areas, Kurrajong is more XC and Stockyards is the gravity side. My preference is for Stockyards and I'd take the Trance.
Thanks Boom King. That looks superb, I think I'm sorted and the Trance it will be.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
There's also Lysterfield which is XC, but does have some fun descents.
Probably a touch longer to get to than You Yangs from the CBD, and You Yangs is better... Stockyards side anyway. :)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just go to Bright.
As awesome as Bright is, it'd have to be on the way there or back. :^)
YY for the win in my view, and a lesser alternative could be Plenty Gorge?

Lysterfield is my local and I love it, but I'd choose YY every time if it was an even choice between them.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Plenty Gorge is not bad but hard to find your away around. it's prly also 35-40 mins from the CBD.

Can you wangle an extra day on the way down or back? If so stop at Beechworth - the blue loop in the mountain bike park is awesome. The caravan park on the lake is a nice spot to stop at, and the town's only half an hour detour off the Hume.

There's nowhere closer than 35 minutes from the CBD. Youies ~ 45-50mins, Lysterfield ~ 35-40 mins. Wombat ~45mins

preemo

Likes Dirt
thanks all

Thanks all.

I spent a lovely morning riding the You Yangs. The condition of the track and the clear signage was brilliant. I wish I could have spent more time there but I enjoyed every moment. Folk who ride there regularly are very lucky indeed.

It took me a good 50 minutes without traffic from the CBD which was further than I hoped for. As a result I did not go looking for other trails and limited myself to the Yarra Trail and Westgate.

Overall a lovely time in Melbourne, good weather, food, shopping and shows and some rides that did not distract from the family too much.