Need some help arguing with my parents about letting me ride DH

Bertram Bronold

Cannon Fodder
Hey Guys I really need some help, because i have been riding Dh for about a year now or so, but recently I broke my leg in an accident. That sucks, but atleast it wasnt my neck. I dont really care, I just cant wait getting on my bike again ;) The only real problem is this: im 16 and live with my parents, and as soon as i came home from the hospital they freaked out, and told me to stop riding immediately, and to sell my bike. Well, since Downhill is about the only thing im good at, I cant just let it go. Can somebody help me with convincing my parents letting me ride afterall?

Demo Eight

Likes Bikes
you keep fit
enjoy the great outdoors and not sitting at home playing your game console
you can't vandalise private/public property if you're out riding
you won't become a crack addict/Alcoholic/pothead
Networking for future job prospects

just a few to get you started

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
DH has a close knit community as do all cycling disciplines, everyone looks after everyone
You will be keeing good company
You need to be alert, fit healthy to do it well
You can’t waste money on drugs and booze as you are funding your bike, ride kit etc
Being younger it is better to learn now than when older
Discuss (you need to get them) stats on injuries with Football, Rugby, Soccer, Basketball, Squash etc, their injury stats are pretty high, in particular knee injuries and head injuries, with DH you have safety gear mitigating risk
Discuss driving injuries with the young, in particular hoon ‘race car’ drivers who fang on the roads and not race tracks
Discuss the element or bad element near your home area, tell them there is pressure for you to join a gang which you don’t want to do, (you’re a good kid remember)
Discuss how you could be run over by a car on any given day, give them stats on the road toll, accidents etc
When you are better go back to DH, get your friends to video you and show your parents how you can actually do it and how much joy you get from it
Agree to pay for all of your bike requirements
Offer to help more around the house (give and take)
Promise that you will try harder at school (that usually turns parents on and will actually hep you heaps in later life)
Tell them if you don’t ride you can see yourself losing your friends network, which is most important as it keeps you going, discuss depression rates in the young who could have been helped by having a focus or a group of friends to support them with a common interest
Tell them it is not as if you are going to hurt yourself every single ride, discuss why you stacked, there is usually a reason you can pin point, Conditions? Ability did not match aim? More training required? Parts failure? You get the point, show them you have learnt and know why things happened.

Remember, don’t say to your parents you don’t really care, you just want to ride DH no matter what, that is a stupid argument in anyone’s book and you will lose here. Tell them what you have learnt from the stack, how you will do things differently to reduce the risk further. If you stacked and don’t know why or are a balls out c*ck out rider with only that and no skills, then you will come a-cropper again and it is probably best you choose something else. But it sounds like you are better than that, just struggling how to discuss it with your parents, always remember they really give a 5hit about you or they would not be challenging you.

Finally, you say DH is the only thing you are good at, I reckon your parents think/hope/believe that you may apply yourself to other things as well, the way you do to DH so that you can see what they see, which is you are or can be good at many things. So don’t just shut your parents down, discuss things calmly with them, make them aware of risks in everything we do, discuss the benefits of DH but most of all the value it gives you and the value it can be for them too if you end up agreeing and perhaps applying yourself to many things, not just DH. Work with your parents.

Good luck.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tell your old man you've been thinking of turning gay since you've stopped riding DH...that should do the trick!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the same problem when i started. They heard a mates story of a broken hip then wouldnt let me ride or race.
Then i actually just got bored and did some very stupid shit to make up time (almost blow my face off with fireworks etc)
They realised that this is because i had nothing to do. and so let me do Downhill, And they now do not regret it (they are still worried about me racing) but the way they see it is that i am out doing something constructive, not something that could get me on the police system.
Goodluck convincing your parents, and good luck with your leg mate!

unitec

Likes Dirt
It won't happen again?

Hey Guys I really need some help, because i have been riding Dh for about a year now or so, but recently I broke my leg in an accident. That sucks, but atleast it wasnt my neck. I dont really care, I just cant wait getting on my bike again ;) The only real problem is this: im 16 and live with my parents, and as soon as i came home from the hospital they freaked out, and told me to stop riding immediately, and to sell my bike. Well, since Downhill is about the only thing im good at, I cant just let it go. Can somebody help me with convincing my parents letting me ride afterall?
I would be presenting them with your plan to prevent this happening again by:-
1. improving your bike skills. (ie dirt jumping, pump track or skate park work etc
2. Improving your fitness which also improves your brain function (i.e crash less)
3. Never shred when you are tired
4. The experience you have gained through this injury has matured you and in future you will always ride within your ability.

Trust me Mum I'm a shredder.

floody

Wheel size expert
Remind them that it was merely an accident, and unless they want to wrap you in a composite suit of bubblewrap encasing cotton wool, such is life. Remind them that over the dominant majority of occasions you have ridden your bike, you have not broken any limbs. Remind them that you enjoy it so much that you even posted a stupid thread so other teenagers can give bogus excuses why you should be allowed your caprice.

HOWEVER.
They are your PARENTS. They own you and given you're 16, probably own your bike. You seem to have the millenial tendency to assume you can argue your way around any rule if you feel it doesn't suit you...well that's not how it works.
Be respectful of your parents wishes, gently reason with them but understand in the end they make the rules.

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
I am lucky, my parents pretty much say "if you pay for it, and dont cry to us when you hurt yourself, we are all for it". Dad raced moto back in the day so I guess that helps, and Mum is an intensive care nurse so she kinda has a realistic view of things aha.

But yeah just get into shardz and hookers and they should see the light that DH is definitely not the worst thing to be doing with your life.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
if your parents don't want you to get hurt then it's reasonable they make you sell your DH rig, OR buy you some sweet kevlar body armour!

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
bloody brilliant points from mars_mtb!!
had this exact same impasse with my parents about skateboarding after coming home bloodied and broken countless times, negotiated an outcome following most of the principles outlined, and kept skateboarding.

your parents are mainly interested in your wellbeing (as a dad now, I can appreciate this more).. so prove that depsite a busted leg DH'ing or riding in general is better for your wellbeing, and involve them in the activity you love!

good luck, times 2.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bloody brilliant points from mars_mtb!!

your parents are mainly interested in your wellbeing (as a dad now, I can appreciate this more).. so prove that depsite a busted leg DH'ing or riding in general is better for your wellbeing, and involve them in the activity you love!

good luck, times 2.
yep, agree with this.
As a parent i can understand thier concern for your well being.

I have to argue with my wife now after bringing my 5yr old daughter home from a bike ride with a bloody face....

Sappa

Likes Dirt
yep, agree with this.
As a parent i can understand thier concern for your well being.

I have to argue with my wife now after bringing my 5yr old daughter home from a bike ride with a bloody face....
ahh, the joys of saying to the kids "Don't tell mum", had that one before.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Take out a full two page spread advertisement in the local newspaper 'Bike for Sale' with your Dads phone number, charge the ad to your Dads credit card.
He wants it gone? Let him deal with that.