Need to be fitter / less fat

slowmick

38-39"
thank you very much for all your replies guys. tis late and i will re read them tomorrow and make some notes. it seems i have a lot to learn to get better. :thumb:

slowmick

38-39"
Ok seems i have a rough plan. get all the gear ready the night before and go to bed at a more reasonable hour.

have managed to ride 4 of the 5 days this week with pharmaboy's words ringing in my head - never more than 2 days. normally ride in the morning but a couple of day this week have been wet in the morning and dry at night. prefer morning as the trip down the hill is more fun after sunrise than doing it under lights (especially with all the trees down this week)

need to buy a couple more thermal tops to get through riding in the rain. nice to put a dry top on to ride. will also look at a cheap second pair of shoes to rotate through on wet days.

Am off to see the gym near work tonight. they are doing a dollar a day deal at the moment so i wouldn't feel too bad about blowing off the gym to ride instead. the gym might give me chance to do some work on my upper body and develop some muscle under the manboobs. would also give me access to a heart rate monitor to try and push myself.

So plan is to try and get into the habit of actually exercising during the week (either ridign, running or gyming) and then comeback for suggestions on how to better spend my time. My preference would be to cut laps at the You Yangs getting both technical training and mindless fire road climbing but that ain't going to happen.

MTB101 - yes, i am out near the dandenongs but prefer to ride up to the top of one tree hill off road rather than punch out laps of the 1:20. i have a 29er hardtail with lockout forks for training. i call it the fat mans road bike. will try and cut a lap of the 1:20 on the weekend and see what time i can achieve. i am thinking it will be around 45 minutes.

Am hoping that spending time exercising will help with my eating problems. not point in all this exercise if i don't eat better.

thank you for the assistance guys.:thumb:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good on you buddy, have a goal event in mind as well - even around the bay 200k is good; think long term 6-18 months - the only requirement is consistency, always have a back up plan if you can't do a session (a 30 minute run is good), think, train and eat like an athlete, when in doubt htfu and realize how fortunate you are to have health and fitness - it takes time, but once you have it - you'll be pedaling past those roadies on the 1 in 20.

I aim to do 100k/1000 metres climbing a week - commute + mtb weekend ride (sometimes road/cx) with 2 run interval sessions a week and some competition xc runs on weekends - so about 8 hours training. if its too wet, a trail run is great, warm up in minutes and wonder why you even thought you wouldn't enjoy it - dooh.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
make sure when you do your gym you have a schedule for that too.. i think for development wise its best to lock in your gym time and days and stick to coumpound lifts and a schedule if you need to spend the money on a trainer to show you how to execute the moves properly, lifting especially big lifts like squats, deadlits rows and olympic lifts need to be done with good form. I would be wary of gym trainers who just studied at a fitness institute or tafe. You are better off with someone who has trained lifters like a strength and conditioning coach. it might be a little bit of money upfront but it should only take a few sessions to get it all down right than you can go at it on your own. Id also go into it researching it online from good sources this way it should speed the learning process up if you do opt to get some training.

m2c

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Oh Slow Mick you rock- I am just like you except you have motivation. Go get em killer:pop2:

slowmick

38-39"
thought you were doing the monster commute to Altona each day JD?

i just don't want to have to walk/run up hills while "racing" this year. also, plans are in motion for a family next year so a bit of fitness, healthy eating and a reduced reliance on sleep can only help.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
thought you were doing the monster commute to Altona each day JD?

i just don't want to have to walk/run up hills while "racing" this year. also, plans are in motion for a family next year so a bit of fitness, healthy eating and a reduced reliance on sleep can only help.
fuck that i aint riding a MTB to Altona every day- too bloody cold and the roads there are crap and im too unmotivated

good for you Mick

dont start a family mate- have some of mine

JBR

Likes Dirt
Some things that worked for me.

If you have a ride planned, and the weather is shit or you aren't motivated Put all your riding gear on and prep/load your bike before you decide whether to go or not. You'll be more inclined to go out than if you dont :)

If you need to use the trainer, dont try and sit on there for hours. Use your garmin and do some super focussed interval sessions topping out at 50 minutes/1 hour tops. If you do it right they fuck you up and the benefits are really noticeable.

Buy all or some of the folllowing: kettle bells, a sand bag, a speed rope, dip rings, a heave bar and a slam ball. download a tabata app onto your phone. About the same cost as 3 months gym membership. Include circuit training into your weekly routine.

Use the net. There are so many theories that in the end you just need to pick one and stick to it. I found HIIT works best for me. Minimal time, biggest benefits. It can hurt though.

I found when I rode too much it became a chore. Mix it up and don't take it too seriously - you aren't going to win. Enjoy having a beer, enjoy your riding. Thats what its all about.

slowmick

38-39"
JD - i thought the commute was chance to buy another, more suitable bike :becky:

mtb101 - what do i need to do to use strava? what does it do?

JBR - good point on the riding gear. get fully decked out for the ride befoe opening the back door to greet the day.

Driftking - that you for adding your vaulable 2c worth. will work on a schedule for training once i get into the habit of exercising regularly. seems like you are man to ask when it comes time to building power for the those inevitable short pinches on the course.

Cheers guys - off to put the lights on charge.:thumb:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
strava, http://www.strava.com/ set up an account, it's free.

then download a copy to your iphone or mobile. turn on strava on phone at the start of rides it will gps map, give you distance and times over sections. so you'll have a training log of your rides and most importantly you'll see sections say 1/20 where you'll build a history so you will see how your times progress. (so at end of ride stop strava it will upload to site and give you all the stats of ride).

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I read the first post and that was it, don't be a bitch, get out in the rain, it rocks.

This is the first year I have gone out at night and started the ride in the rain, you're only gonna get wet in the shower when you get home so why delay the inebbitabew? It is also the first year for a while that I haven't got a cold which I thought was weird.

Option 1= Awesome and bike paths tracks to yourself.
Option 2= Pink short wearing knobs taking photos of their bromos
Option 3= Boring, may as well just get some Hot Shapers and walk around the house, sweat, sweat.

akashra

Eats Squid
Its 70% diet & 30% training. I use keto & dynamic conditioning classes (plus a weight program).
Absolutely agree with this. I can go through periods where I'm doing 300km/week for 4 months and not lose any weight. But as soon as I keep the same riding routine but just cut out all sugar and junk food, I'll drop 4-6kg in 6 weeks.

slowmick

38-39"
Getting better, but still need help.

So it's been a month since i asked for your help. had been managing to do around 100 km a week with 2500 metres of climbing for the last month. Have been using Strava (MTB101) to keep records - makes it easy to see when i have slept in. Pharmaboy's advice - never more than 2 days without a ride has meant I was doing extra catch up rides at night and on the weekend to keep the numbers up. To keep the momentum going i signed up for the Rapha Rising Challenge on Strava - 8800 m climbing in 9 days.

This nearly broke me but it made me get out of bed each morning as it was too much to try and make up late in the week. I am really glad i did but i can't keep riding that much (20+ hours a week). Also by the end I wasn't looking forward to riding. Was nice to go to Lysterfield today and just go for a ride (not thinking about how many meters of climbing i had done.)

Now i am a bit lost as to what do do next. have decided i would like to keep doing bike based training but not sure what to do. Distances, climbing, intervals a combination. I pretty much need a solid plan/goal so that when i am lying in bed i have a reason to get out of bed.

Any suggestions as to how to put together a training plan?

driftking

Wheel size expert
So it's been a month since i asked for your help. had been managing to do around 100 km a week with 2500 metres of climbing for the last month. Have been using Strava (MTB101) to keep records - makes it easy to see when i have slept in. Pharmaboy's advice - never more than 2 days without a ride has meant I was doing extra catch up rides at night and on the weekend to keep the numbers up. To keep the momentum going i signed up for the Rapha Rising Challenge on Strava - 8800 m climbing in 9 days.

This nearly broke me but it made me get out of bed each morning as it was too much to try and make up late in the week. I am really glad i did but i can't keep riding that much (20+ hours a week). Also by the end I wasn't looking forward to riding. Was nice to go to Lysterfield today and just go for a ride (not thinking about how many meters of climbing i had done.)

Now i am a bit lost as to what do do next. have decided i would like to keep doing bike based training but not sure what to do. Distances, climbing, intervals a combination. I pretty much need a solid plan/goal so that when i am lying in bed i have a reason to get out of bed.

Any suggestions as to how to put together a training plan?

Pick an event to train for.
Having an event means you can straight away periodize your training around said event or season.

Or just train in a general sense with a basic rinse and repeat style program that goes though different phases (arobic, threshold, power, v02 etc) this will give you consistent improvement over time.

I think you need to figure out what you want to improve next. Once you know what you want to improve, you automatically know what workouts to do and you can than scheduled them.

You either need a general workout periodized that you can rinse and repeat over time or choose an event to train for and workout the best approach from there, preferably an event at least 16weeks away I think gives you enough time to at least do a solid periodization and than tapper to the event with some other work.

Either way you need to do an evaluation of where you are at the moment and address any weaknesses in your riding and train from now. no point jumping into a type of training if the base level things are not developed yet or issues.

I don't have a big grip on xc events and the bst methods of training so I won't give any advice. But no doubt there are others on here with either extensive knowledge in riding xc or knowledge in developing training programs for said riders that will reply.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
oh, and with the running, it doesn't have to be a long run either. i made some massive headway years ago by doing a near flat out run. started with a small block (say 800m) worked up to a larger block (1.5km) then eventually settled on a 2km run and started trying to get the time down. was pretty stoked to get under the 10min mark, but getting it under 9min took bloody AGES.

all told, took about 4-5 months to get me from 95kg and unable to JOG the 800m block without coughing and wheezing, down to a modest 80kg and running the 2km block in under 9min. i ran EVERY morning, without fail, and did a longer jog once a week aswell and then an MTB ride at least once a week once i discovered how much fun that was.

set the alarm half an hour earlier, have your shorts and shoes next to the bed and see if you can get into the habit of waking up when you're dressed and stretching on the porch in the freezing cold wondering how you got there :first:
This year i started running for 5km but it wasn’t making my knees feel great (stability wise). Maybe 3km is the magic number. I’ll have to give this a go.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
glad you're going well mate, top effort doing all that climbing, yes good to have events to target on the other hand if you have sufficient fitness and are able to go out on a ride and know your fitness is not a limitation for having fun, ... well you're there. you're in the moment man! just make each ride an adventure and have fun.

slowmick

38-39"
Cheer guys. Am signed up for the Alpine Gravity Enduro Series that starts in September. It is the reason i started training. Myrtleford was the last round in the previous season and the first round in the new season. My last efforts on those tracks had me running/walking/falling over up the short pinch climbs.

After thinking about it i guess i need to find some similar climbs around me and practice wrestling my dual suspension quickly up the hills. Riding up hills on my hardtail is helping with my weight and endurance but not so much on the power required to get the dually up and moving. I rode up the hill on my dually on Monday morning an it felt like the tires were flat and i was dragging a body behind me.