Ness wheels freehub/Pawls

james1

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
I purchased a second hand set of Ness Carbon wheels with a damaged freehub. Its missing the pawls and springs, but after going to every bike shop in my local area not only did i not get anywhere i lost all faith in the local bike shops. With the best piece of advice being that i should walk out the front and throw them on the lawn because they are good for nothing but trash and if im lucky i can get it taken away for free (and they sit in there and ask why everyone shops online).

But anyway, apparently they are a re-branded formula hub which seems just as hard to get parts for it, im not sure if anyone has any ideas or even parts! but ill put a photo up of the freehub and any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Ness wheels seem pretty uncommon so not surprised that any LBS couldn't help you out. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the wheels ? If they can't help you then I can't see how a LBS could ?

james1

Likes Dirt
There is no direct contact to manufacture I could find. I don't mind that they couldn't help me, but comments like that annoy me

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Customer: "Hey guys(dumps bag of misc broken bits on counter) I have this used stuff I bought "broken" from some stranger on the interwebs. Can you ID and source parts and get me outta here fast so I can continue shopping online and not support my LBS.

Not trying to be harsh.:behindsofa:

No need to name or shame, but I see both sides daily. A little bit of research, like using google to search the wheel brand/manufacturer and local Aussi distro would have made the guys a little less reluctant to help.

However, tossing them seems a little silly. I know we've spent time on this exact situation more than twice.

Anyway, a few brands seem to use this type

View attachment 319956

Could be Formula....

james1

Likes Dirt
I've searched everywhere I can think of. I contact torpedo 7 who are the only ones who seem to supply which the owner I purchased off purchased new from torpedo 7. And they couldn't help me out. I then contacted the larger lbs in nsw asking for help. I now have contacted formula and I will see what they say. I'm not saying all lbs. so let me correct myself, one bike shop who I haven't named told me that comment and that's my issue. However another was very helpful going through his spares kit and tried different parts to fit.

But despite all this, my aim of all this had nothing to do with the bike shop I was just having my say. I just want to find the part. So if it's easier and less distracting I'll delete this and remove the comment on the bike shop

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Most Formula hubs use Shimano-style (but completely incompatible!) freewheel bodies with the pawls encased within, rather than the external type pictured above. They are virtually unserviceable and pretty well impossible to get as spare parts unless you can find a shop that has a stash of decent 2nd hand bodies.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Where's the picture? Have seen most types of rebadged hubs over the years, would help a lot. Pic of hub, freehub and axle.

- Joel

james1

Likes Dirt
Nah nah all good. I'm happy with them and at worse I have a nice front wheel and some wall art but I'll figure something out

james1

Likes Dirt
I did a week back and they couldn't help but I might try again and ask if they have a manufacturer/supplier contact

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I did a week back and they couldn't help but I might try again and ask if they have a manufacturer/supplier contact
NZ Torpedo7 may be worth a shot too, T7 may have actually imported the gear themselves as they seem to have a few exclusive brands.

james1

Likes Dirt
Yeah I emailed him, one is on its way! He seems confident it'll fit so let's hope all is good
Thanks to everyone for the help!