New Anaconda Bike

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm still trying to figure out if I was riser handlebars as I feel very forward on the bike as is. I wouldn't mind sitting a bit more relaxed in an more upright position.
Try to tilt the nose of the saddle upwards a tiny bit. That might rotate your hips a bit more upright giving you a better position.

Of course, YMMV but it is a free and easy thing to do.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I have not had the pleasure of fixing a set of Nutts yet, I'm sure the day is coming, but they dont stand out as easy to work on. Deores are definitely worth it and can be transferred when you kill the frame.
I'm sure there are plenty around here that would let you work on their Nutt's, but that's probably more about their pleasure than yours.

That's a nice first bike, reminds me of mine. I had a great time tinkering, upgrading and learning how to work on bikes with that one. Sure, putting Revelations on the front of a Shogun was an overinvestment, but it made it fun to ride! Plus I got to use them on the next bike I bought as a frame.

One thing to keep in mind though is that if you replace those forks with something fancy, you're probably signing yourself up for some new wheels / hubs too. Not sure how many QR options are around these days. But that's just an opportunity to learn how to lace a wheel.

You should probably get a truing stand too

And a spoke tension meter.

Probably a torque wrench too.

:D

Enjoy the riding!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
How is this bike treating you mate?
I'll step in here.

I get paid to assemble these for the Mildura store.

Fundamentally they are a good bike. Relatively light compared to the rest of the Anaconda range, which also aren't bad bikes, just not in this context. Fork will do general duties pretty well. The derailleur hanger hasn't been designed properly as I can't get the b screw adjustment right. External BB cups, internal cables until the BB. And proper frame sizing, 15", 17" etc, not just S, M, L.

But you will 100% need to replace the brakes before letting junior loose. The Nutt brand brakes are horrible out of the box. Every single bike I've pulled out of the box needs the lever pumped to get a nice solid feel. Which is kinda normal for the first time out of the box, but leave them for even a minute and they need pumping up again. It may just be a case of needing a bleed, it feels more like the pistons retract too far.

And don't pay full price. Anaconda do half price bikes on a regular basis.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
I'll step in here.

Fundamentally they are a good bike. Relatively light compared to the rest of the Anaconda range, which also aren't bad bikes, just not in this context. Fork will do general duties pretty well. The derailleur hanger hasn't been designed properly as I can't get the b screw adjustment right. External BB cups, internal cables until the BB. And proper frame sizing, 15", 17" etc, not just S, M, L.

But you will 100% need to replace the brakes before letting junior loose. The Nutt brand brakes are horrible out of the box. Every single bike I've pulled out of the box needs the lever pumped to get a nice solid feel. Which is kinda normal for the first time out of the box, but leave them for even a minute and they need pumping up again. It may just be a case of needing a bleed, it feels more like the pistons retract too far.

Cheers mate.. I used to work at anaconda back in around 2010 for a couple of years. I remember seeing the profit margins even against sale pricing LOL. I started in fishing, but because I was a keen mountain biker at the time as well I usually ended up sneaking across and working the bike section as well to keep me entertained when it was slow in fishing. :D

Having read a few owner reviews I decided to steer clear and get something else.

Cardy George

Cheers mate.. I used to work at anaconda back in around 2010 for a couple of years. I remember seeing the profit margins even against sale pricing LOL. I started in fishing, but because I was a keen mountain biker at the time as well I usually ended up sneaking across and working the bike section as well to keep me entertained when it was slow in fishing. :D

Having read a few owner reviews I decided to steer clear and get something else.
Ha, you know it well then. I actually work for another retail services company. They're supposed to be using staff to build their bikes but in typical modern retail fashion they don't have enough staff to run the store, let alone train and dedicate them to assembling bikes. I shudder to think what state those they have built themselves are in.

I'll step in here.

Thanks for the input.
I'm reasonably happy with the bike but i do have a problem with the chain skipping in the midrange gears. You mention the derailleur hanger, i wonder if there would be a suitable replacement that helps fix the placement?

Cardy George

Thanks for the input.
I'm reasonably happy with the bike but i do have a problem with the chain skipping in the midrange gears. You mention the derailleur hanger, i wonder if there would be a suitable replacement that helps fix the placement?
It's not so much the placement as getting the tension right. I wind the b-screw all the way out and the line on the back of the 12sp derailleur cage still won't line up with the teeth on 1st gear like it's supposed to.

I'm not in a headspace to work out if one more or one less chain link would help this. I also don't have one in front of me to verify.

It's not so much the placement as getting the tension right. I wind the b-screw all the way out and the line on the back of the 12sp derailleur cage still won't line up with the teeth on 1st gear like it's supposed to.

I'm not in a headspace to work out if one more or one less chain link would help this. I also don't have one in front of me to verify.
Thanks.

I have noticed that the alignment line on the back on the derailleur will not line up the teeth of the 51t gear. Thats why I wondered if a better sized/shaped derailleur hanger may help align it?

The lower and higher gear are fine but gears 5, 6 and 7 will have the chain jump in the teeth while pedalling. My first worry is the derailleur hanger not being at the right height against the gearset is causing the issue.