New Bike Advice: Scott Voltage Fr 720

cabbo

Likes Dirt
The FR720s RRP is $3600, which by todays standards is pretty bargain basement, if you can find one.
A base model Glory, with only Domains and DB5's is $3500 RRP, and that's about the cheapest competitor, but that's obviously more of a DH race bike.

They were both more than I could justify before.

I was going to try and find something 2nd hand, until some fuck-o broke into my house and took my bikes and stuff. It's like a 3rd party methamphetamine facilitated trade in scheme.
$3600 that's better than l thought, which means the 730 may be under $3000. When that is an average price for a frame? You did well mate.
Yeah l know that feeling too, when someone thinks they can and do, give themselves, their own right to invade and take with intent.. WTF! damn, my old reign was a hoot!

andrew9

Likes Dirt
They didn't bring the 730 in, in either the Voltage or the Gambler. Shame really, both are still pretty nice, I like to buy cheaper bikes and upgrade stuff anyway.
I would have still got the 720, for the 380s and M615s, even though I'm swapping the brakes with my Zee's on my All-Mountain bike.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
They didn't bring the 730 in, in either the Voltage or the Gambler. Shame really, both are still pretty nice, I like to buy cheaper bikes and upgrade stuff anyway.
I would have still got the 720, for the 380s and M615s, even though I'm swapping the brakes with my Zee's on my All-Mountain bike.
Yeah right, no 730 in either, heck! doesn't look as though the voltage will be here next year, hell you came up trumps with the 720, with good speck, as you say upgrades can be dialled in when or if required. I don't mind running singles, have noticed some flex in the 36s, not really warranted tho, if l lift my game a set of 40s would snap on quite tidally, that Nicko fella has a few clips on the Scott web, man he rips on these rigs, damn!

andrew9

Likes Dirt
The Voltage came in on Monday, and I collected it on Wednesday.
First ride today. The most noticeable things were how forgiving and bottomless the rear felt, the great stability, and very low bottom-bracket.
I pedal-kicked the ground on several corners, that I'd normally pedal through with no problems, the fact that I ride clip-less more often than these big platforms would also have added to this.

I only did one run, I injured my shoulder two weeks ago, and it feels better, but I didn't have the strength back to ride a bike like this properly, so I called it a day.

I had the bike shop upgrade the brakes and dérailleur to Zee, running 11-36 with a saint shifter, all pulled from my other bike.
The seatpost and rear brake need some trimming yet. The seatpost only goes in the frame 120mm, so once I cut it, there's almost no adjustment. I might get two seatposts to swap, or even a dropper :shocked:

Great bike, I can't wait to ride it harder next time.

Sorry the photo sucks

Attachments

Last edited:

cabbo

Likes Dirt
The Voltage came in on Monday, and I collected it on Wednesday.
First ride today. The most noticeable things were how forgiving and bottomless the rear felt, the great stability, and very low bottom-bracket.
I pedal-kicked the ground on several corners, that I'd normally pedal through with no problems, the fact that I ride clip-less more often than these big platforms would also have added to this.

I only did one run, I injured my shoulder two weeks ago, and it feels better, but I didn't have the strength back to ride a bike like this properly, so I called it a day.

I had the bike shop upgrade the brakes and dérailleur to Zee, plus a saint shifter, all pulled from my other bike.
The seatpost and rear brake need some trimming yet. The seatpost only goes in the frame 120mm, so once I cut it, there's almost no adjustment. I might get two seatposts to swap, or even a dropper :shocked:

Great bike, I can't wait to ride it harder next time.
Yeah! Sweet bike man, I was much surprised on how stable the voltage was to ride also, the DH bottomless feel with the way it cuts in direction in response to where you want it to go, off the bat indicated to me this rigs was showing, this is all about to go to a place that gives a whole lotta fun.
Yeah man the curve in the seat tube kinda puts the peddling thing down to a limit a dropper post, l have wondered if there is a dropper post that has only a short insert? As l am only 5.5.
I ended swapping cups to steepen ha up to 65* this raised the bb up, it still is low tho and retains that stable feel.
Totally underrated rig l recon, it's berly for a lot of the home grown smaller DH trail set ups, switch backs berms and jumps and drops that l know of.
I tried posting a pic of the FR 710 however it ain't happening!
A mate just got the darkside, so l am keen to measure them up side by side.

Ideate

A mate just got the darkside, so l am keen to measure them up side by side.
I'd expect them to be equally as fun except the darkside being a bit easier on the pedalling. I'm not too keen on the latest Scott voltage design. Something looks off with the shock and seat tube angles. I loved the older models though and nearly bought one every time one came up for sale.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
I'd expect them to be equally as fun except the darkside being a bit easier on the pedalling. I'm not too keen on the latest Scott voltage design. Something looks off with the shock and seat tube angles. I loved the older models though and nearly bought one every time one came up for sale.
Yeah, the shock positioning kinda had me speculating on what they were thinking bracketing the shock welds to the top tube? I am no way confident in the tech department to explain the point being in this location but 10+ years back own a santacruz bullit, though l always knew it was and is the heckler or maybe they have moved the heckler shock down to the down tube? Well that shock mounted on the top tube, l guess it didn't seem too weird after all, and now it just is what it is, l guess in this positioning it ramps up at the end of its travel, it is plush and l recon one of these fox x2 jobs with the pro ped will dial in as a good all rounder, it won't be an enduro race bike, but hey that's all good.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
The 2017 model is up on the Main Scott site, The FR720 now yellow with domain forks, glad I didn't wait for that!

FR710 looks good, now has an air shock. They also added some built in fork bumpers to all models and ditched the rear chain stay protector.

I wonder if we'll see them here?

Attachments

cabbo

Likes Dirt
The 2017 model is up on the Main Scott site, The FR720 now yellow with domain forks, glad I didn't wait for that!

FR710 looks good, now has an air shock. They also added some built in fork bumpers to all models and ditched the rear chain stay protector.

I wonder if we'll see them here?
Mmm, would a coat of paint hold to the sales of a voltage or loose the sales of voltage? I am also glad l have a 2015 fr 710..
That aside, how's your fr 720 rolling along, you have it purely dialled as a DH beast.. So how's it holding up?.
I don't ride nearly as much these days so l might start using all this adjustability, try out 170mm mode, been thinking of going an x2 float with compression pro ped thingy, well morphing it more toward throwing round more cranks on the peddles and lightening it up some what, it would to make good sense to find out how much the frame alone weighs??

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I didn't love my bikes Matt Burgundy paintjob in the catalog either, but it looks great in the metal, maybe the yellow would be the same.
Downhill beast? Doesn't stop me climbing my shuttles on it quite a bit, it doesn't really bother me, with the dropper up I can slog along and get up most things

I still get pedal strikes pretty bad, I wonder if I should get a heavier spring or a shock with compression dampening to try and sit higher in the travel. I'm not sure, because the current spring is already on the stiffer side of recommended for my weight, and my sag is less than recommended now. It rides awesome though, such a great bike

Here is it's current state, I added a KS Dropper, Funn grips and Funn Mamba Pedals, all of which are brilliant!

It feels surprisingly light to me, at 17.5kg, probably gained 500g with the dropper and pedals.
My trail bike and DirtJumper are both just over 16kg, so I may just have heavy bikes to compare? I'm not sure what is a good weight, but I'm happy with my current builds to not care too much

Attachments

Last edited:

cabbo

Likes Dirt
I didn't love my bikes Matt Burgundy paintjob in the catalog either, but it looks great in the metal, maybe the yellow would be the same.
Downhill beast? Doesn't stop me climbing my shuttles on it quite a bit, it doesn't really bother me, with the dropper up I can slog along and get up most things

I still get pedal strikes pretty bad, I wonder if I should get a heavier spring or a shock with compression dampening to try and sit higher in the travel. I'm not sure, because the current spring is already on the stiffer side of recommended for my weight, and my sag is less than recommended now. It rides awesome though, such a great bike

Here is it's current state, I added a KS Dropper, Funn grips and Funn Mamba Pedals, all of which are brilliant!

It feels surprisingly light to me, at 17.5kg, probably gained 500g with the dropper and pedals.
My trail bike and DirtJumper are both just over 16kg, so I may just have heavy bikes to compare? I'm not sure what is a good weight, but I'm happy with my current builds to not care too much
Yep peddle strikes was apparent with the voltage than my older v10, l did change the head set cups to put in a +deg or a .5 can't remember? And did make some diffence as far as peddle strikes.. I think they come 64.5 stock?
The rc4 came with 710 l read these seem to come with a custom tune, a possible change in the shim stack maybe?
You could try going for a shock push to get a different shim stack this may help to get the bike sitting up, not sure of the cost involved tho? Yeah some compression dampening would help, or check out on a 2nd hand rc4 as prices now may be pretty good..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...or you know, try shorter crank arms. I had the original fr10 and don't recall pedal strikes being a significant issue. I ran the stock crank with a fox dhx5air.

With a few of my dh/fr bikes over the years I've ran 165mm and 170mm (doing this currently) crank arms to avoid/reduce pedal strike.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
...or you know, try shorter crank arms. I had the original fr10 and don't recall pedal strikes being a significant issue. I ran the stock crank with a fox dhx5air.

With a few of my dh/fr bikes over the years I've ran 165mm and 170mm (doing this currently) crank arms to avoid/reduce pedal strike.
Already has 165 cranks!

The pinkbike review of the FR710 makes a note of it:
The Voltage's super low, 345mm bottom bracket height quickly let me know when my feet were getting too close to stumps or rocks, and I was thankful for the e*thirteen bash guard on more than one occasion. Scott made a good choice there by specifying 165mm cranks to aid clearance when pedaling, and though it can be a nuisance, the low BB height adds great stability. With the BB center below the axles, the bike makes it easy to lean over and set into corners - especially long, fast berms.

I could put my small SPD pedals on, but I hate trying to find them if I clip out in a technical section.
The headst is only adjustable on the FR710, although I'm sure I could buy the cups, but I don't plan too.
It's not a big problem at all, it's just the rest of the bike is so solid, although I do need to clean the Zee brake pads every other ride because they keep developing a squeal, front and back

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well that blows my awesome suggestion out of the water.

Canfield make a very thin pedal, what sort or condition are your kidneys in?

andrew9

Likes Dirt
How do we reckon this old stock 2011 RC2 would go? I would try a 50lbs heavier spring at the same time

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/fox-suspension-dhx-rc2-rear-shock/rp-prod120604

Any other suggestions? This seem pretty good value, and I want to try a heavier spring anyway.
I think I want to stay with a coil, I really like the current ride, just feel it needs a little more control

Should I be looking for a RC4? or would a Cane Creek DB be worth it? http://www.jensonusa.com/Cane-Creek-Double-Barrel-Rear-Shock

Also AvantiPlus has the new gamblers on their site now but no Voltage. I guess their not coming here this year.

Last edited:

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I've just found this DHX2, which I think replaced the RC4:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...tt-voltage-fr10-rear-shock-2016/rp-prod152311

I think it's a typo and is actually the 2016 FR710 shock, which would be brilliant upgrade, especially after my last shock upgrade left me with a tune that didn't really suit that bike.

It's pretty pricey, but I hope I can be confident that the tune would work with the frame
I've sent them a message to confirm it's not a shock for the old FR10 instead

I really like the look of the Marzocchi Moto C2R too. Hi/Lo compression plus a progression adjustment, although I wonder if Hi-speed compression and progression adjustment is kinda doubling up the same thing?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122271178380?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The RC2 is the cheaper version of the RC4. I've had both and a fair number of other rear shocks over the year. I'm currently running one on my 951 and it works just fine. If you don't want to sell a kidney and aren't inclined to jerk off about micro differences you'll be happy with the RC2.

I prefer the feel of CCDB shocks, particularly the air version. But I like air shocks. My voltage came with an RC4 stock that I ended up swapping out for a dhx5air.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Tough choice:

Fox RC2 at about $200

Marz C2R at about $300

Fox DHX2 with a specific tune for the Voltage at $600

CCDB coil at about $550, depending on hardware

So far I'm leaning towards the C2R, will match the 380's and has 3 different compression adjustments, although the DHX2 seem like an obvious choice but is it twice as good?