New Bike Advice: Scott Voltage Fr 720

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I'm looking to replace my small 2005 Kona Stinky, with a large Scott Voltage FR 720.

The bike will be used for downhill racing and shuttle days as well as a bit of burly trail riding, which is what I do on the Kona

The Kona is a solid 150mm travel frame, with Fox 40s, that I usually run at 7" because 8" doesn't corner well on that bike.
I like the Kona a lot, but it's a Small and I'm 190cm

I like the idea of the 380 forks and 170/190 adjustable travel
I will probably fit 11-36 10 speed gears straight away

There doesn't seem to be many owner reviews out there, just the commercial stuff.
Does anyone have any pros/cons for the current Scott Voltage?

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don't own one, but was looking at them quite closely recently. I don't like the way the shock is positioned. It looks strange. Otherwise good spec for the money. They are pretty weighty for trail riding, but your doing that on a stinky anyway...so this should be an improvement.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I don't own one, but was looking at them quite closely recently. I don't like the way the shock is positioned. It looks strange. Otherwise good spec for the money. They are pretty weighty for trail riding, but your doing that on a stinky anyway...so this should be an improvement.
I have the 140mm Univega AM I use for real trail riding with proper climbs, but there are a couple of nice downhill runs in the Adelaide hills here where you can catch the train up, go down a section, then ride a few Km's of undulating single-track with only small climbs until then dropping into another downhill run. There are also downhill tracks that have fairly gradual routes back to the top, and the Stinky climbs them just fine, quicker than pushing anyway.

I could probably get away with a Reign or Enduro type bike, but I feel they wouldn't be that much more stable/plush than my Univega to be worthwhile, or as much fun, especially when doing Downhill events

I like riding the stinky currently, and just want to replace it with something bigger and newer.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well...the rear end on the Scott doesn't run much more travel than a reign/nomad/rune all 3 of which run a nicer suspension platform win some form of virtual pivots. Where as the Scott 4 bar likes a bit of wheel hook. Those few mm might make a bit of a difference...I'd look to make a light build dh bike - Air suspension etc, so when race day comes you still have a lot of travel.

Those train shuttles sound awesome.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
#26forlyfe

That was my favourite bike when I was looking for a "one bike" solution last year, but it was far over my budget that it was laughable, $7300rrp. There is a cheapish Large Process frame that was listed today though.

I had some bikes stolen and my Scott dealer is helping me out with my insurance. The Voltage was well over my budget until this incident too, now I'm just trying to check for any issues before I decide.

I also like that the voltage uses a 73mm BB and 12x135 rear axle, and is 26" compatible, so it can share most parts with my existing bikes.

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Yeah they're sweet, defs a bit expensive though. I've got a 153 and I love it, can only imagine the 167 being even more fun on the descents! Good luck with the bike hunt.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
I'm looking to replace my small 2005 Kona Stinky, with a large Scott Voltage FR 720.

The bike will be used for downhill racing and shuttle days as well as a bit of burly trail riding, which is what I do on the Kona

The Kona is a solid 150mm travel frame, with Fox 40s, that I usually run at 7" because 8" doesn't corner well on that bike.
I like the Kona a lot, but it's a Small and I'm 190cm

I like the idea of the 380 forks and 170/190 adjustable travel
I will probably fit 11-36 10 speed gears straight away

There doesn't seem to be many owner reviews out there, just the commercial stuff.
Does anyone have any pros/cons for the current Scott Voltage?
Mate, l have a 2015 fr 710 medium and l am around 155cm, l think l was between s, m, so this for me gives me heaps of room so yep a large would be the way to go for you if this is what you are still interested with.
I have only really had it set in 190mm and although l have really given it a good run in on the local DH trail, what l like is the way it feels, it behaves much like a DH bike a little more manoeuvrable and poppy, it peddles ok but it is not an enduro bike, one of these new fox shocks x2? With pro ped l think will make this bike an even more an all rounder, l changed the front ring down to a 32 and yep it has a lot of adjustablity, l steepend the dec to 65 as the bottom bracket is so very low, lower than my old v10, the v10 and the voltage have different natures, the voltage appeals to the way l ride.
All the best with the choice Andrew.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Any advice on delivery times? (#asking for a friend...)
I was told about four days until it's ready, here in Adelaide.

I got the last Large FR720 in the country though. There's only one large FR710 left and one or two other sizes of each, and none expected until the 2017 models, which won't be for many months yet.
The voltage is a low stock item, it seems. and it's even possible we may not get the voltage next year, as Australia didn't get the 2015 model.

This might all be BS: "We've got another couple interested in this house" type stuff, but I trust my dealer, they've been very good indeed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I got the last Large FR720 in the country though. There's only one large FR710 left and one or two other sizes of each, and none expected until the 2017 models, which won't be for many months yet.
The voltage is a low stock item, it seems. and it's even possible we may not get the voltage next year, as Australia didn't get the 2015 model.

This might all be BS: "We've got another couple interested in this house" type stuff, but I trust my dealer, they've been very good indeed.
Time will tell...I purchased the original fr10 in an amazing end of season clearance. It isn't a high demand bike, despite the high level of awesome.

cabbo

Likes Dirt

Yeah, there was no demand for them, or who ever holds the power over what bikes we can have seems to pull the trigger what comes in, l can understand floor space holds value and dead space is a loss, enduro is marketing madness, so l was really lucky to have claimed 2015 fr 710 from a trade show.
Yeah, the voltage is a fun bike with a short chain stay it cuts quick from a directional change that is a plus for fun, setting it up l think l ended up going back to the stock tune from taking it out of the box, running very low compression, dropped the spring rate to 250, I'm only 65kgs, yeah, there ain't much info on them, no worries then congrats on the purchase mate.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Yeah, there was no demand for them, or who ever holds the power over what bikes we can have seems to pull the trigger what comes in, l can understand floor space holds value and dead space is a loss, enduro is marketing madness, so l was really lucky to have claimed 2015 fr 710 from a trade show.
Yeah, the voltage is a fun bike with a short chain stay it cuts quick from a directional change that is a plus for fun, setting it up l think l ended up going back to the stock tune from taking it out of the box, running very low compression, dropped the spring rate to 250, I'm only 65kgs, yeah, there ain't much info on them, no worries then congrats on the purchase mate.
That's what I want: a fun, poppy and forgiving huck machine. I can't wait to case some jumps on it.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
That's what I want: a fun, poppy and forgiving huck machine. I can't wait to case some jumps on it.
Well.. In that case.. Mate, you just orded yourself the right rig, if you like to manual this rig also wants to get up on the rear wheel, it's dialled in...
As some of the reviews mention, the thought behind in its design is another direction, distancing away from a purpose built race machine, angled toward cutting loose from competition, a joker kinda rolls off my head? Hell yeah, the old school labelling for it is freeride and ya can't argue with that, spot on!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well.. In that case.. Mate, you just orded yourself the right rig, if you like to manual this rig also wants to get up on the rear wheel, it's dialled in...
As some of the reviews mention, the thought behind in its design is another direction, distancing away from a purpose built race machine, angled toward cutting loose from competition, a joker kinda rolls off my head? Hell yeah, the old school labelling for it is freeride and ya can't argue with that, spot on!!
So what I'm reading is that 85% of new bike sales where the end user is a teenager (and a DJ bike is not the answer) are the wrong bike? Too often I see the victims of naive parents and lazy shops jumping and hucking around on their 29 inch xc machine. If Scott could find a lower price point this bike could be a huge seller.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
So what I'm reading is that 85% of new bike sales where the end user is a teenager (and a DJ bike is not the answer) are the wrong bike? Too often I see the victims of naive parents and lazy shops jumping and hucking around on their 29 inch xc machine. If Scott could find a lower price point this bike could be a huge seller.
I guess there is a curtain hype on the new products that is just the progression in this industry, I'm sure the stores try and cater to the best with their knowledge to have a win win in sales and for the customer, mostly in all fairness, l kinda view much of the industry is about trend, over the practical, Scott identifies with the voltage as it being a practical purpose sled, it's been around since l think 2007, it has been updated with a flex issue of the older voltage, it stills retains the adjustable ha, bb, wb and travel length has its appeal, it will ever be pushed as the competitions bike, l recon its under rated, it is a little weighty 16kgs, not to sure on the prices, there are 3 specked voltages, may be $3000 for the fr 730, wether it would be a huge seller? The opertunity for sales could be if this country would recognise MTB with an opened mind and got on board with the talents of our many trail builders to produce way more great bike parks, all before some of us become old age pensioners.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I am a touch more cynical of the average bike shop...I do enjoy playing the noob from time to time when I visit, just to see what bullshit they are pushing, which is fun. I also get the joy of being the fact checker for a wide range of friends/associates when they are buying bikes, which is less fun. "yeah man that's the best $750 mountain bike in the market..." face-palm

Last edited:

andrew9

Likes Dirt
The FR720s RRP is $3600, which by todays standards is pretty bargain basement, if you can find one.
A base model Glory, with only Domains and DB5's is $3500 RRP, and that's about the cheapest competitor, but that's obviously more of a DH race bike.

They were both more than I could justify before.

I was going to try and find something 2nd hand, until some fuck-o broke into my house and took my bikes and stuff. It's like a 3rd party methamphetamine facilitated trade in scheme.