DH New bike build

latheboy

Likes Dirt
As much as i love the DBL, its about 5 months old now so need a new one. I had it weighed a on some bike shop scales and they said 19.1kg where as my super accurate house scales said 20.0
My mates kona operator was 18, so its in the ball park. Now to make it lighter, the geo is set and I'm happy with that so its a case for calling jenny Craig.
First change is a front triangle. The side plate were 6mm and now I'm going for 3mm and a couple of gussets .. I'm still waiting for them from my laser cutter..
The swinger pivot was solid dia 40.0 with a 20mm reamed hole through it at 40mm thick. Now its a dia 40mm tube with end caps welded in for the pivot diameter, about a third of the weight removed. The head tube has been gutted to be 2mm wall instead of 5mm so a bit more there. I'm not in front of my CAD so I can't say how much it thinks the diet has helped but it shout be a bit.
Banged some parts in the jig just to look at them, all have to come out to remove the scale and clean before welding.
IMG_20190410_210747_601.jpg
IMG_20190410_211049_864.jpg
IMG_20190410_204512_117.jpg

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I have a new design for the swinger to, the aluminum one is cool and all but it doesn't match the chromo front. I'll take a picture of the CAD tomorrow, but just imagine a couple of round bits at each end and some trellis tube work and you've got it.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
This is what I was thinking with the swinger, but I'm not liking it much today.
IMG_20190411_124657_731.jpg

That's the good thing about CAD, its easy to change stuff in a moments notice..

teK--

Eats Squid
I commend you on your efforts I'm just worrying about someone hucking that into several pieces

latheboy

Likes Dirt
All very good points that why I moved on from that idea.. The braces where just thrown in to give me an idea of what it would look like, they aren't evenly spaced or anything

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Nope, the front triangle is done. I had been riding the 1st one flat out which has now been parked. I crack led a weld on the swinger and bent one of the arms. Work has been flat out and design time is hard to come by with a young family. I need to get it done though.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
And we are starting to look like a bike.. Farking back wheel has some battle scares so will have to upgrade..

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Now I have come to a major wall.
Full blown life changing shit guys!!!

Do I use the DVO's or the FOX 40's ???
My wife is probably better off with the DVO's as they are lighter and the 40's do look better..

Yes you are right, the 40's

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frame is looking really nice mate! Looks like a modern Brooklyn Machine Works. Really nice! I cant help thinking you were inspired by my Katipo
I would go with the DVO forks for the extra small bump sensitivity, to match the rear suspension.