New bike choice advice

lewie15

Squid
Looking for some advice around the two bikes below. I can get the Trance 29er 1 new at my local dealer for $3999 and a Trek Fuel ex 8 2018 29er second hand for around $3200. Both bikes have similar spec. Most of my riding is done on local mountain bike trails in Whyalla and Melrose in South Australia. At the moment I have a Trek Roscoe, which I've enjoyed, but i'm looking for something with dual suspension and a bit lighter than the Roscoe, which comes in at over 15 kg.

Both bikes below come in at a similar weight. The Trance has carbon wheels and and aluminium frame, while the Trek has a carbon frame and aluminium rear triangle. Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/trance-29er-1
https://www.gearlimits.com/gear-review/review-trek-fuel-ex8-trailbike/

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Just a quick clarification for you…

The Fuel EX 8 has an all-aluminium frame. The tubes are hydroformed and the welds near the headtube are really nicely finished, so it’s easy to assume its carbon, but it isn’t.

Only models starting with a 9 have carbon. The brand new 2020 carbon models are all carbon, whereas the 2017-2019 models were:

9.9 all carbon
9.8 carbon seat stays, aluminium chain stays
9.7 all aluminium rear triangle

But EX 8 still a great bike.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep, they'll both be nice bikes. The Giant will probably feel a little more efficient when working the pedals than the Trek - but you'll feel the chatter a touch more too (not much though). IMO, buy the one that feels like it fits best, that'll give you the most confidence out of either anyway.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Never ridden the Trek, do people find the knock block limiting? Not so much riding, but putting it in the car and so on.

That aside, a new Giant will have the killer lifetime frame warranty for peace of mind. Carbon wheels might be liability perhaps?

lewie15

Squid
Really appreciate the replies so far. Sounds as though I can't go wrong with either one. Probably leaning towards the Giant for the new bike warranty and safety net of buying it from a local dealer. It's reduced to $3999 from the RRP of $5499, which makes it a pretty good deal. There are quite a few Trek Fuels in Adelaide in the second hand market, so I can probably drive a bit of a harder bargain if I want to lean that way. Thanks Puffmike for the info about the frame. Nambra, the carbon wheels are interesting. Love them on the road bike, but a bit hesitant to see how they would go on some of the rocky trails that I ride. Surely durability will be a risk on a mountain bike.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking for some advice around the two bikes below. I can get the Trance 29er 1 new at my local dealer for $3999 and a Trek Fuel ex 8 2018 29er second hand for around $3200. Both bikes have similar spec. Most of my riding is done on local mountain bike trails in Whyalla and Melrose in South Australia. At the moment I have a Trek Roscoe, which I've enjoyed, but i'm looking for something with dual suspension and a bit lighter than the Roscoe, which comes in at over 15 kg.

Both bikes below come in at a similar weight. The Trance has carbon wheels and and aluminium frame, while the Trek has a carbon frame and aluminium rear triangle. Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/trance-29er-1
https://www.gearlimits.com/gear-review/review-trek-fuel-ex8-trailbike/
For the 29er 1 at $1000 more than the trance 29er 2 I am not sure if it is worth it.

lewie15

Squid
For the 29er 1 at $1000 more than the trance 29er 2 I am not sure if it is worth it.
Yeah I agree with that. Issue is my local dealer doesn't have the Trance 2 in stock in my size and they are doing a pretty good deal on the Trance 1, which they do have in stock. Only $300 difference between the two bikes with the special that my Giant dealer are doing on the Trance 1. I realise that you can get a good deal on any bike, but $1600 off as a starting point for the Trance 1 is pretty good.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Trance 1. Lifetime frame warranty plus 1 year on parts. Worth it (well would sway me anyhow...... actually swaying me currently when considering next bike and new 2 year vs new lifetime).

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got a Fuel EX 9.8 and love it. Test rode an EX 8 and EX 5 that was what convinced me to buy a Fuel EX. Went for the 9.8 to get more tuneable suspension and I'm still learning to tweak it. Also I wanted Shimano brakes, most new bikes had SRAM.
You could probably get a new 2019 EX 8 for not much more than the new Trance, if they are still around at discounted prices.
I sit and spin going up hills, not strong enough to power up out of the saddle for long but I find the suspension great for not bobbing much at all, never use the climbing mode on the rear shock.

lewie15

Squid
Got a Fuel EX 9.8 and love it. Test rode an EX 8 and EX 5 that was what convinced me to buy a Fuel EX. Went for the 9.8 to get more tuneable suspension and I'm still learning to tweak it. Also I wanted Shimano brakes, most new bikes had SRAM.
You could probably get a new 2019 EX 8 for not much more than the new Trance, if they are still around at discounted prices.
I sit and spin going up hills, not strong enough to power up out of the saddle for long but I find the suspension great for not bobbing much at all, never use the climbing mode on the rear shock.
Thanks for the input. I haven't really been able to find any new Fuel 9.8's for around the $4000 to bring it in line with the Trance, which I think is a very similar bike. I'm actually going to look at a second hand 2018 Fuel 9.8, that looks like it's barely been used. They are asking for $3600. If they will accept $3000 I will need to decide to go with the Trance or the second hand Fuel. Haven't heard anyone who owns a Fuel say too many bad things about it. Probably can't go wrong either way.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was also interested in the Trance, but it wasn't as easy to get a demo hire close to home so I never got around to it. Saw comment somewhere that the wheels were on the heavy side which was a bit of a turn off for me.